Camera Canon DSLR Auto Focus not working

esh@@n

Disciple
Hi,

I have a Canon EOS 550D with a 18-55mm basic lens. I've been using the camera for around 2 years, but since last week my camera is not working in auto focus mode. The focus ring tries to move a bit, when the capture button is pressed, but it doesn't focus. If I manually move the ring, then sometimes it works, but now even that has stopped working.
I've tried restoring all settings, by reset to factory settings but the problem still prevails.

Any ideas on whether it is a problem related to the camera or the lens ? And is there anything which I can try before taking this to the service center.

Well, that's the problem with focus by wire. Please clarify what happens when you try to focus manually. Does it get stuck ?

When I try using the manual focus it works fine. I am able to capture the images perfectly via Manual Focus. It's just the Auto Focus that's getting stuck.

When I try using the manual focus it works fine. I am able to capture the images perfectly via Manual Focus. It's just the Auto Focus that's getting stuck.
Hmm, sounds like problem in the focusing system in the lens. As vaivhav suggested, try another lens. If it woks then the problem is in the lens focus chips otherwise its in the body.

Dont try too much. Walk into the Canon service center or a reputed camera repair shop in your vicinity and get this checked. It will usually be a lens issue, since in Canon the focus motor is in the Lens.

Enjoy the manual focus and use the DSLR the way it was supposed to be. It would be a great learning experience for you. I had similar problem with my 3 year old 550D with 18-55. I was not able to get the focus on auto while manual worked flawlessly. Any other lense would work fine in my opinion. Usually its due to the mechanical issue because of which the lense gets stuck while focusing on your desired objects.

And if the lense moves but get stuck in the middle its most probably due to mis-alignment of the lense which may have got damaged during the usage over the period. Dust is also another reason. And finally the broken cable inside that controls the motor for auto focus can be another cause, if the auto focus is not responding at all. But if the lense in auto focus mode is trying to focus then its not the cable its the mechanical issue. A self or pro service might fix it.

If you take my suggestion, I would leave that 18-55 as it is and use it as a manual lense instead. It will be worth the journey with your photography expedition. I discovered a lot about photography after I broke my 18-55 auto focus on purpose while fixing the auto focus issue on my own.

Back