OC & Modding Can I repurpose a PS3 into a homelab server?

Greetings TE!
Wanted to ask the community if they have any experience with repurposing an unused PS3 into a homelab server to run proxmox and a few containers, including HomeAssistant.
Is this even a viable option or should I just look to offload the PS3 at this point?
Thank you for your time and attention!

Sounds fun as a novelty project. But as a server you actually depend on or run 24/7? It would probably be very slow as the cell processor is old, package compatibility would be quite bad and you'd have zero / very little support. Also 256mb ram + 256 vram means you can run a few services in the best case. Certainly not enough to run proxmox in any useful way, I think.

Honestly if you take the power cost into account too, it might even be cheaper to get a $3-5 monthly vps with better performance. Assuming 100W, you'd consume 72 units a month with 24/7 operation.

Sounds fun as a novelty project. But as a server you actually depend on or run 24/7? It would probably be very slow as the cell processor is old, package compatibility would be quite bad and you'd have zero / very little support. Also 256mb ram + 256 vram means you can run a few services in the best case. Certainly not enough to run proxmox in any useful way, I think.

Honestly if you take the power cost into account too, it might even be cheaper to get a $3-5 monthly vps with better performance. Assuming 100W, you'd consume 72 units a month with 24/7 operation.
Valid counter point... Will need to consider before I do something drastic like jailbreak the PS3.

Greetings TE!
Wanted to ask the community if they have any experience with repurposing an unused PS3 into a homelab server to run proxmox and a few containers, including HomeAssistant.
Is this even a viable option or should I just look to offload the PS3 at this point?
Thank you for your time and attention!
Much better to sell it for 6-8k and get an intel mini PC for the same price.

Back