Graphic Cards Can a Gpu forget it's Sub-vendor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pritambb

Recruit
Recently I bought a Zotac 980 Amp! Gpu-Z and Occt shows its sub vendor is Evga is there any chance this card is fake or It might be something else?

Attachments

• gtx 980.PNG
    gtx 980.PNG
    40.5 KB · Views: 82
  • occt.PNG
    occt.PNG
    17.4 KB · Views: 78
Recently I bought a Zotac 980 Amp! Gpu-Z and Occt shows its sub vendor is Evga is there any chance this card is fake or It might be something else?
can be a flash card. but why would you get a 980 in today's time?

can be a flash card. but why would you get a 980 in today's time?
Budget and good deal. That's it. :)
If you are facing stability issues, You can look for your particular card's VBIOS on this site and try flashing it.
Yes, I have to downclock the card just to prevent it from crashing while gaming and it gets real hot like you can smell the card heating from at least a meter away while gaming. Initially I thought Occt is showing false information but it is also same in Gpu-Z.
I will have to look what I can do about the VBIOS, I have never flashed a card before.
What if it is a Evga card with Zotac fan and backplate? Will it break the card?
If you are facing stability issues, You can look for your particular card's VBIOS on this site and try flashing it.
Thank you very much!
You singlehandedly fixed my issues flashed the card it works flawless now no crashes no burning smell nothing.
Too bad the seller was from Tech enclave but didn't bother to check it even once and blamed me for the instability. It's good that I asked about it here.
Here is the thread techenclave.com/threads/gpu-from-olx-best-shipping-service-within-india.213349/page-3#post-2459669
Mods can close this thread problem fixed.
I think sellers should double check their card before listing here.

Attachments

• Thanks.PNG
    Thanks.PNG
    42.7 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:
What if it is a Evga card with Zotac fan and backplate? Will it break the card?
Given how customised the PCB and cooling designs are between vendors, it seems unlikely. Flashing a different VBIOS though is more common. The VBIOSes with higher clock/power limits are usually meant for cards with better power delivery, cooling and better-binned silicon.

Sometimes there are apparent problems like instability, artefacts, black screens, ports not working etc. And sometimes everything works but the card might degrade faster.
You singlehandedly fixed my issues flashed the card it works flawless now no crashes no burning smell nothing.
Awesome!
Too bad the seller was from Tech enclave but didn't bother to check it even once and blamed me for the instability. It's good that I asked about it here.
Here is the thread techenclave.com/threads/gpu-from-olx-best-shipping-service-within-india.213349/page-3#post-2459669
I read that thread a while back but missed the last few posts regarding the EVGA bit. Anyways, glad to hear that it's working well now.

Last edited:
Damage might have been done because of the insanely high nearly 220 watts of power limit but what can we do now? It functions well now no crashes no burning smell as before but the dvi monitor has very faint waves maybe because of something else but it might be the card and you can still smell the burnt smell by going very close to the card even when the pc is turned off.And maybe it now runs hotter then it should/
Anyways thanks a lot the card works fine now no problem for me for now at least.

Did the seller not disclose the VBIOS flash to you? Unless you bought it from FB or OLX with the caption "lol non-mined wid 1.5 yrs warranty remaining bill box available fresh condition lol" :dead:

Edit: Sorry I see it was bought from TE :(

Damage might have been done because of the insanely high nearly 220 watts of power limit but what can we do now? It functions well now no crashes no burning smell as before but the dvi monitor has very faint waves maybe because of something else but it might be the card and you can still smell the burnt smell by going very close to the card even when the pc is turned off.And maybe it now runs hotter then it should/
Anyways thanks a lot the card works fine now no problem for me for now at least.
Glad that your ongoing yet old issue finally got resolved.
The seller might had no idea about it as well as it might be that the card worked just fine for him/his hardware or only if you want to think otherwise where a person flashes a card, messes things and then puts it for sale.

only if you want to think otherwise where a person flashes a card, messes things and then puts it for sale.
I didn't notice it myself it was only when I installed some new and graphically intensive games.
The thing is not that the seller messed with the card but about the responsibility.. This thing sure killed a lotta time for me.
The seller might be completely unaware about the issues or he might not have the technical know how to tell if the vbios is modded but who can we blame anyways.

So the question is can we really allow people who doesn't have the technical know-how about the things to sell such here.

Faint burning smell is still there from the gpu while gaming but not as much as before.
@BullettuPaandi
edit : I can still give the card to anyone above disciple level for checking.

Last edited:
Faint burning smell is still there from the gpu while gaming but not as much as before.
@BullettuPaandi
edit : I can still give the card to anyone above disciple level for checking.
@BullettuPaandi Finally sold my secondry monitor and the waves are back again no solution.
Simply the worst purchase I made this year.
I've already explained here. This is the best I can do. Sorry for noticing this late, I didn't receive alerts for these mentions.

Did you try the vram test in occt....it will tell u if there is any problem in them.
Card works fine after the vbios flash no crashes no problem Only problem now are the waves on the monitor I tried on two different monitors,cables ,sockets and even another house and another monitor the waves simply just don't go away.
The looks like white lines moving on the monitor while gaming.The waves are more visible on dark grey colour.
I just swapped the motherboard with a new one it's same as before.
I also tried a gt 1030 and it works fine (no waves) iGpu in my i5 650 also works fine.It is just this card
Has anyone experienced this before?

Card works fine after the vbios flash no crashes no problem Only problem now are the waves on the monitor I tried on two different monitors,cables ,sockets and even another house and another monitor the waves simply just don't go away.
The looks like white lines moving on the monitor while gaming.The waves are more visible on dark grey colour.
I just swapped the motherboard with a new one it's same as before.
I also tried a gt 1030 and it works fine (no waves) iGpu in my i5 650 also works fine.It is just this card
Has anyone experienced this before?
Waves can be because of faulty ports of hdmi or dvi

I was wondering what was the point of flashing a higher model vbios (not by seller) if the card was unstable with that vbios ?I mean the person who flashed the card was trying to achieve ?

This GPU started acting crazy again a few days ago it blinks the monitor on high GPU load after a certain time and after blinking many times it turns the monitor off completely but I am able to use the computer through virtual monitor.
It turns back on after sometime if the load is removed
Monitor: hdmi
Anyone has any idea?
16920789365705200218897095003547.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back