Buying Pure Honey

raksrules

Elite
Need to buy Honey for personal consumption and to replace sugar wherever possible like adding to Milk etc. But most of the big brands honey we get in market like Dabur etc are i guess adulterated and they also have sugar added to it to sweeten the same.
If one intends to buy pure unadulterated honey then where to buy from ?
Any way to test pureness of honey ?

Unless you get it direct from a beehive , i dont think u`d get any un-adulterated honey. :no:

AFAIK , they add jaggery to honey.
So, if you are looking for 'sugar' replacement....:cool2:

The outlets managed by disciples of Yoga Guru Ramdev baba claim to provide original unadulterated honey. And you may also get good quality honey around OSHO ashram area, KP.

You frequent pune right? There is a Ayurvedic establishment which is famos for its medicine products. They also sell medicine grade honey. Which I find really good.

Totally pure honey will crystallise and coagulate if not heat treated.

A lot of state governments used to sell pure honey from forest department outlets, don't know if they still do. It tastes pretty bad and separates into its constituents over time, so I stick to the food products because a bottle can be on my shelf for six months or so.

btw no sugar is added in Dabur Honey. It is mandatory to declare it on the label and IIRC it does not mention sugar. It is heavily processed and may contain preservatives though...

raksrules said:
Need to buy Honey for personal consumption and to replace sugar wherever possible like adding to Milk etc. But most of the big brands honey we get in market like Dabur etc are i guess adulterated and they also have sugar added to it to sweeten the same.

If one intends to buy pure unadulterated honey then where to buy from ?

Any way to test pureness of honey ?
go to any place that claims of selling pure honey.

take a glass and a bottle of water along.

Fill the glass with water.

Put a few drops of their acclaimed honey in it.

observe if any of it is getting dissolved in water.

What dissolves is sugar and jaggery syrup as pure honey does not dissolve in water.

Alternatively, dip a cotton bud in their acclaimed pure honey, burn it with a lighter.

Pure honey would burn without issues.

Adulterated honey will either refuse to burn or will burn with cracking sound (due to water content in sugar/jaggery syrup)

Best members to get advice on honey/household are sometimes mom n dad :p:)

edited: I guess already posted by some uncles in the forum :p

cranky said:
btw no sugar is added in Dabur Honey. It is mandatory to declare it on the label and IIRC it does not mention sugar. It is heavily processed and may contain preservatives though...

Sugar/Jaggery is not directly added to the honey, instead they give it to the bees in diluted form so that they don't have to collect nectar the natural way. This is a trick used to increase honey production and the resultant honey is not usually considered as good or healthy as the real deal. Nevertheless, I agree with you on the point that that pure honey that is collected from the hives contains a lot of bee wax and a lot of people would find it hard to consume. The Dabur stuff is no good either. It smells like something right out of a pungent medicine bottle.

The best honey that I ever had is Girijan Honey

http://www.apgirijan.com/index.php?p=phoney

This is good refined honey with most of the bee wax removed. It still has some quantity of it though.

I think you need to contact locals who are staying for a long time to get pure honey. Some village people used to get honey from forests and they used to sell pure honey near my old house every sunday. The location is not a busy street either. So these particular locations will be known to locals only.

And as far as branded honey I have seen in news some 2 months back that they have more than acceptable levels of antibiotics which consumed regularly is very harmful to health.

cranky said:
Totally pure honey will crystallise and coagulate if not heat treated.
I've noticed this with the honey bottles from Coorg. Their solution was to place the bottle in a saucepan of warm water.

cranky said:
A lot of state governments used to sell pure honey from forest department outlets, don't know if they still do. It tastes pretty bad and separates into its constituents over time,
Hmm, i've seen those over here, very thin in consistency and taste to me is adulterated, though i'm no expert on honey. I bet its got sugarcane juice blended in it. The aftertaste is pretty odd. Kinda sticks, hard to describe unlike being smooth.

cranky said:
so I stick to the food products because a bottle can be on my shelf for six months or so.btw no sugar is added in Dabur Honey. It is mandatory to declare it on the label and IIRC it does not mention sugar. It is heavily processed and may contain preservatives though...
Real honey has no expiration date.

I'm bit dissapointed to find that people here think Dabur is adulterated. Its the most expensive in its brand, its thick which how i recall honey should taste and look like with honey abroad.

So my mother used Dabur for a long time until one fine day she read some article where it was stated that lots of anti-biotics are added to honey. We don't buy honey anymore :(

Actually if anyone has any Dabur would be intersted to know how it does with the candle test. Any takers ?

Oh and finally how much of a markup is there with so called 'pure' honey compared to Dabur ?

Lord Nemesis said:
Sugar/Jaggery is not directly added to the honey, instead they give it to the bees in diluted form so that they don't have to collect nectar the natural way. This is a trick used to increase honey production and the resultant honey is not usually considered as good or healthy as the real deal. Nevertheless, I agree with you on the point that that pure honey that is collected from the hives contains a lot of bee wax and a lot of people would find it hard to consume. The Dabur stuff is no good either. It smells like something right out of a pungent medicine bottle.

This is good refined honey with most of the bee wax removed. It still has some quantity of it though.
Where did you buy it from ?

blr_p said:
Real honey has no expiration date.

I'm bit dissapointed to find that people here think Dabur is adulterated. Its the most expensive in its brand, its thick which how i recall honey should taste and look like with honey abroad.

Oh and finally how much of a markup is there with so called 'pure' honey compared to Dabur ?
I agree with you.. Real honey has no expiration date. I am getting some real honey from my village in Haryana and it is as good as what it was 6-7 months before. I have tasted the Dabur honey as well and I did not like the taste as compared to the real one.

Lord Nemesis said:

This looks interesting but the annoying bit is i don't live in Vishakapatnam :(

Don't suppose they have agents elsewherein the country.

Back