Buying from US - Best Deals - Discussion Thread

Sorry cannot help with that..not following iPhone much . Mostly into ipad and Macmini when it comes to Apple for me.

I am still on iPhone X and happy with it.

Anyways other will suggest better.

I switched from myus to stackry over 10 years ago because stackry had no membership fees and the mailbox was in a state with no sales tax.

Looks like myus now has both of those, I'll try importing something with myus in the next few weeks and see what happens.

I switched from myus to stackry over 10 years ago because stackry had no membership fees and the mailbox was in a state with no sales tax.

Looks like myus now has both of those, I'll try importing something with myus in the next few weeks and see what happens.
so shopnship NY office has sales tax? :(

yes @DigitalDude this is the reason I'm not too fond of SNS they should shift to a sales tax free state.
myus is good and the prices are the same as SNS and the biggest problem with stackry is their price.

I shipped a 4 kg parcel with myus ystd final amount was 86 USD for fedex economy, stackry was showing 107 USD for the same there is no point in charging a higher fees for the same courier.

@rsaeon are you aware of the fact that myus was fully acquired by Aramex? and the fun fact they dont use aramex to ship to India, lol

Last edited:
Yeah, I had to pay each and every time, regardless of shipment value. I don't mind paying taxes, India has plenty to offer in return.
I too created a Stackry account but was scared to use it. Which US sites are you using it on. If not to personal. Also how much you get hit with customs. Can the customs duty be paid online or you got to visit the cargo airport.

Are the customs charges genuine, as per HSN code ? Or do they just slap 50%

slap 50

@asingh for customs the respective courier will send you mails and sms to pay the customs even if you dont pay it will be converted to cash on delivery.
this is what happens with aramex and fedex with ups they will hold your parcel until you clear the customs.

and you dont need to visit the airport for this.

Are the customs charges genuine, as per HSN code ? Or do they just slap 50%

Which US sites are you using it on. If not to personal. Also how much you get hit with customs. Can the customs duty be paid online or you got to visit the cargo airport.

I've mainly used Amazon, Newegg, eBay, Walmart and KEH with both MyUS and Stackry. I prefer Amazon because I mainly buy used items and Amazon sellers that sell used items usually undervalue what they have since they're trying to win at a numbers game with other competing sellers on Amazon. For payment, I used to have virtual credit cards through a service/company in Europe, but I forget what it was called. These virtual cards automatically approve any billing address which allowed me to use the same address for shipping and billing on sites that only accepted cards with a billing address inside the US.

With MyUS, I preferred DHL because there was no KYC back then and DHL handled the entire clearing process without question or confirmation but the DHL office here didn't do final delivery — I had to go to their office and pay duties and then pick up my parcel. So customs was usually around a third to half of the value of the shipment including their own fees. They didn't include the cost of shipping in the calculation.

FedEx wouldn't clear customs on my behalf and wanted me to go to Delhi for a shipment that was over 100k (for which I was told that I needed an import permit). Customs officials didn't accept ignorance of the regulations as an excuse and I was not allowed to claim that shipment, it was confiscated by the Government of India. Sixteen years later, I'm still a little bitter about losing that one. I had a similar experience with UPS with an error made by Bitspower's Hong Kong office. So I've not used FedEx or UPS since then.

All of that was with the previous government so 10+ years ago.

With Stackry, I use whatever option that does final delivery through the post office. There is limited tracking and no insurance this way, but it's affordable. I paid around 3k customs for two motherboards that costed 6k with 4k extra for shipping — this was before the lockdown. I opted to pay at my local post office since I wanted to inspect the parcel before accepting it. The postman did offer to deliver it with payment being made directly to him.

Sometime after that shipment, I bought a used Socket 370 motherboard for $25 and there was no customs on that shipment. Randomly, none of my shipments from sellers in this part of the world (Singapore, Malaysia) have attracted customs when delivered by the post office.

@rsaeon are you aware of the fact that myus was fully acquired by Aramex? and the fun fact they dont use aramex to ship to India, lol

Ha, I did not know that. Looks like Stackry does have Aramex as an option though.

I've mainly used Amazon, Newegg, eBay, Walmart and KEH with both MyUS and Stackry. I prefer Amazon because I mainly buy used items and Amazon sellers that sell used items usually undervalue what they have since they're trying to win at a numbers game with other competing sellers on Amazon. For payment, I used to have virtual credit cards through a service/company in Europe, but I forget what it was called. These virtual cards automatically approve any billing address which allowed me to use the same address for shipping and billing on sites that only accepted cards with a billing address inside the US.

With MyUS, I preferred DHL because there was no KYC back then and DHL handled the entire clearing process without question or confirmation but the DHL office here didn't do final delivery — I had to go to their office and pay duties and then pick up my parcel. So customs was usually around a third to half of the value of the shipment including their own fees. They didn't include the cost of shipping in the calculation.

FedEx wouldn't clear customs on my behalf and wanted me to go to Delhi for a shipment that was over 100k (for which I was told that I needed an import permit). Customs officials didn't accept ignorance of the regulations as an excuse and I was not allowed to claim that shipment, it was confiscated by the Government of India. Sixteen years later, I'm still a little bitter about losing that one. I had a similar experience with UPS with an error made by Bitspower's Hong Kong office. So I've not used FedEx or UPS since then.

All of that was with the previous government so 10+ years ago.

With Stackry, I use whatever option that does final delivery through the post office. There is limited tracking and no insurance this way, but it's affordable. I paid around 3k customs for two motherboards that costed 6k with 4k extra for shipping — this was before the lockdown. I opted to pay at my local post office since I wanted to inspect the parcel before accepting it. The postman did offer to deliver it with payment being made directly to him.

Sometime after that shipment, I bought a used Socket 370 motherboard for $25 and there was no customs on that shipment. Randomly, none of my shipments from sellers in this part of the world (Singapore, Malaysia) have attracted customs when delivered by the post office.

Ha, I did not know that. Looks like Stackry does have Aramex as an option though.

it seems its been a long time since you have used stackry or myus, things have now changed and its simpler now fedex and aramex use delhivery now for customer end delivery, ups will use any random local courier and DHL uses bluedart.

now for customs recently I shopped from amazon, ubiquiti, ebay, taobao, alibaba, aliexpress and walmart and I was charged customs for all it just depends what value is declared to the courier so that they file the import bill according to that generally all were undervalued so I saved on customs a lot.

A person can save on customs if it was shipped by local post of that country as indian post will takeover, but that is also a hit or a miss.

TRANSIT TIMES

CHINA TO INDIA BY FEDEX TAKES 5 DAYS , BY ARAMEX 7-8 DAYS UPS TAKES 9 DAYS.

USA TO INDIA BY FEDEX 6 DAYS, ARAMEX - 10-11 DAYS

DUBAI TO INDIA BY ARAMEX TAKES 1 DAY.

ALL COURIER TAKES 1 DAY TO CLEAR CUSTOMS.

to know about the status of your courier while it is at customs office use this link

Last edited:
Recently had to buy some IC from mouser.in which usually shipped from US. Its been very long, since i ordered from mouser.in. It was a nightmare :( First, i need to submit CHIMS certificate for importing any chip to india, which i was not aware, neither mouser india support told me about this prior. Atleast they should have told me about this CHIMS requirement when i clearly told them, its for personal usage and not for any commercial activity. So the shipment was held in BLR customs for couple of days, and i had to give some declaration about my personal usage and what is the end usage.

And the shock was the overall customs + DHL charges :( The order amount was 55$ which includes shipping fee and for that i had to pay 4300 INR as custom duty + DHL charges. ie, almost 100% charges additionally!

When i was searching about this CHIMS requirement, found positive feedback on semikart.com from reddit community. Next time will try that for sure!

Anyone has experience in semikart.com?

it seems its been a long time since you have used stackry or myus

Yes, my last shipment with Stackry was in 2021.

I've preferred to seek out sellers in this part of the world. I've had 20+ shipments in the last three years from Singapore, Malaysia and Indonesia through the post office with no customs, so I've gravitated to finding what I need from those countries, through Etsy or Ebay.

I used iBhejo last year and that was a good experience.

And as I mentioned in the other thread, my purchases from the US usually involve used/vintage hardware/cameras so relatives usually bring them over.

But now I really want to give MyUS a try.

Recently had to buy some IC

Have you looked at iodparts.in?

Have you looked at iodparts.in?
No, never heard of it. But do they handle all the customs and delivery charges?

As per semikart.com, i see this in their FAQ, And they do purchase it from one of mouser.in or digikey like that..

Delivery rates and information
Prices are inclusive of Indian customs duty+18% GST, freight charges and Insurance.

Recently had to buy some IC from mouser.in which usually shipped from US. Its been very long, since i ordered from mouser.in. It was a nightmare :(
You can order from element14 but you need a valid GST certificate. They'll import the part and send to you, the price they sell at includes all GST customs and shipping fees.

Some of the parts I received in 5 days after ordering and they came from the UK.

Back