buying a ps2...

amey_dude

Disciple
I am thinking of buying a ps2 now as prices has droped....but giving it a second thought is it worth to buy a ps2 now..as ps3 has relased. I think sony will stop support for ps2 ie stop producing games,etc. to boost ps3. Also how much will new xbox 360 cost ?? also how much will modded xbox 360 cost ??

The games for PS2 are getting better by the day, but you are right at some stage the focus will shift completely to the PS3.

Xbox 360 core costs around Rs19000 while the premium version is for 24K.

I do not know about the modded console though. Better to buy a un-modded one as modded ones do not carry warranty.

The PS3 costs 40000 ( maybe lower now). But if you are a fan of Ps2 games then the PS3 allows upscaling of the games.

Don't get a modded 360. Because you will lose Xbox Live!

I don't know if that new iXtreme firmware thing works though. I've heard people playing all day yesterday on Live with no issues. But, MS will probably find a way to ban them, as I heard Xtreme firmware version 5.3 was supposedly "undetectable" by MS.

As for PS2. It's still a great console with so many games for it. It's still worth your money.

Yeah see wat u can do is.....if u dont have shortage of Vitamin M...go get a PS3 from gray market!!! it'll set u back by around 25-27k chk out ALFA!!!

then u can upgrade to FW 1.5 on PS3 or above....then u can upscale ur original PS2 games...mind it u cant run Pirated games on PS3...

If ur tight on budget.....PS2 is still a hardware to go ga ga over...it has huge collection of games...

I have it sinces 4yrs.....& m still not bored..just cant wait to get my hands on LARA..oops...Tomb Raider:Anniversary....

i am on tight budget and cant even think of ps3.....i am going to buy ps2....do u know where can i get ps2 at low price in pune ??

I dont have any idea of PUNE..but u can chk out in Campus area or in Deccan Gymkhana....see if ur buyin a PS2; u can buy it from newhere but make sure the console is a modded one & plz chk if the pirated games are running on the console....cos the console doesnt have hardware issues!!!

I don't wanna hijack the thread here but could someone tell me what cables are used to connect ps2 to a tv?? Do they come bundled with a ps2 or do we have to get them seperately?? Also will composite cables be good enough for ps2 or will there be a noticeable loss in pic. quality if we use composite cables?? And finally where to get these?? And what about audio cables??

Also will an 8 mb memmory card be enough for storing saved games ??

----------

Now coming to topic, i don't think you have much choice here. Since you are on a tight budget, a Ps3 would do you no good.Even if you can afford to buy one, the games cost ard Rs.2.7k each.Besides you need a HDTV to fully enjoy it.Don't even think about getting a modded xbox 360.It's kaput rate is rather high and there will be no warranty for modded ones.

So get a ps2 right now and play a lot of el-chepo (but good games) and then when you have enough money go get a ps3.Since ps2s are so cheap these days and you can run modded games on it, go for it.It's a no-brainer.Infcat even when you get a ps3 you will still need a ps2 to run modded games.

don't forget to get an original dual shock controller and memmory card from sony.

PS2 will be supported with full dedication from Sony and developers by at least 2008 end. Its still selling more than PS3 in Japan.

As for the games, even if they pulled the plug on PS2 now, there's so many classics its going to easily ride you through a good couple or more years to almost experience them all.

And when you buy it from grey market, do yourself a favor, and don't get the controller from there. Buy only the original controllers (box packed only, Rs.800. check ebay's if there is no Sony World in your area) if you really want the perfect response from the analogue sticks and don't want it to break within weeks of rough usage.

CAbles are provided in the BOX to connect it to TV....also Composite cables provides better pic quality than normal cable...if ur TV supports progressive scanning then the visual quality slightly improves than normal....

Also 8MB is sufficient...but it depends how many games do u play at a time????

remember Gran Turismo 4 & PES/Winning eleven requires hell lotta space on ur memory card....

Hmmm..

Composite Cables = Normal VGA Yellow-Red-White cables - Will be included with the system.

Component Cables = Can do Progressive Scan in games support. Absolutely recommended if playing with HDTV, will have to be bought separately.

I tried to search for the component cables for my PS2 as well. Couldn't find it anywhere. Sony World, grey market nobody has them. So I got it from Ebay here :

eBay Australia: YPbPr Component Video Cable Playstation 2 3 PS2 PS3 NEW (item 250118843294, end time 26-May-07 02:17:33 AEST)

The only place you'll find it easily.

Those looking for PS3's HDMI cables, they're everywhere. Rs.2.8 original, and Rs.1k 3rd party made and works just as good, which I got.

Thx.Well my friend has a 15 inch samsung crt with a yellow hole(video) and a white hole at the back(for audio) and he wants to buy a ps2. So that will be a composite port at the back right??So i guess the included composite cables will do just fine for him.

Or do you think it makes better sense to go for a 21-29 inch tv with component in and then get those Component Cables so that he could do Progressive Scan??

Params7 said:
And when you buy it from grey market, do yourself a favor, and don't get the controller from there. Buy only the original controllers (box packed only, Rs.800. check ebay's if there is no Sony World in your area) if you really want the perfect response from the analogue sticks and don't want it to break within weeks of rough usage.

Oh... now i know why i have to purchase a new controller every month or so...:mad: :mad: :mad:

Duplicate PS2 Controllers are POS. Avoid them like Plague, Original Controllers Cost Rs.500 (not 800) you can easily spot a Fake Controller by closely examining it. the SONY Logo on the front, appears extra bright. furthermore, the Etching on the back of the controller, is different to what you will find on a Legit controller. the Analog sticks are really tight, as oppose to them being Twitchy and Soft in the legit controller. oh and the Cord is really short, the original controllers have long cords (Around 5 feet if i am not mistaken). you can get Legit PS2 Controllers from Milestone Interactive too.

memnom said:
guys how much does a modded one cost?

i can get a new one here, can i mod it? if so how can tat be done?

Modded PS2 costs Rs.7,200/- By new one i assume a Un-Modded PAL PlayStation2? you can get it approximately Rs.8,400/- From Milestone Interactive Software Limited (Mumbai). Modding yourself? First and Foremost, Good luck finding a Mod Chip for PS2, Secondly, Unless you have Expert Knowledge in Soldering, You're likely to Kill your PS2 and Void the warranty at the same time (assuming you buy a Un-Modded One, Open it Up and Give it a go) the Solderless Mod Chips are hard to find anyway. besides, Why Go Into all this trouble? you can easily get Modded PS2s everywhere. Hope this helped :)

hey guys i m also planning to buy PS2 now.

i want to ask that is it ok to get secondhand or should buy new one only.

Back