CPU/Mobo Buy new PC

Switch said:
Well let me try explaining you in simple words...

The FSB speeds dosent matter as much... The AMD Naming convention is by its PR rating... BY AMD 64 3200 we should understand that it will run and perform as good as a Pentium 3.2 GHz chip while actual clock speed of the processor being 2 GHz.

A good setup right now would be an Ideal mix of a High end Mobo and a fast CPU... Try goig in for a 939 based platform... AMD 64 is available in two sockets... 754(older) and 939(newer)...

The benifits of 939 is that it is based on 90nm nano technology so the chip is smaller and it heats up less than the 754 based chip which is based on 130nm based technology.

If you would take both Socket 939 and socket 754 based AMD Athlon 64 3200+ than they both would perform equally in real world. The idea behind going in for a 939 based platform also is the support for PCI Xpress based graphics card which is only available for socket 939 as of now.

Hope this helps...

P.S. For a good CPU + Mobo combo ask guys out here. But before you do that, zero down on a graphics card cause that would decide which mobo to go for and which would lead to finilasing of the chipset.
ok ok thats what i wanted...thx a lot buddy..also other people here

now heres what i would go for:- so plz now quote prices as for MUMBAI Region

AMD 64 3200+ [939]
AGP 8X Mobo supportive [hope AGP remains alive for many yrs]
else everything common...on-board lan, 7.1 audio, more expansion slots [atleast 4 pci], 6 usb, 2 sata, ide.

Well... If you are looking for an AGP based board then look for ASUS A8V plus AMD 64 3200 939... The combo will cost you somewhere around 17500... BTW which Graphics card are you going in for... Also if it is a 6600 GT then go in for the PCI version as AGP and PCI costs same now...

And finally if it is a 6600 PCI then the mobo option would either be MSI K8N Diamond(Not SLI) or MSI RX480M2... Both are equally good...

Switch said:
The benifits of 939 is that it is based on 90nm nano technology so the chip is smaller and it heats up less than the 754 based chip which is based on 130nm based technology.

If you would take both Socket 939 and socket 754 based AMD Athlon 64 3200+ than they both would perform equally in real world. The idea behind going in for a 939 based platform also is the support for PCI Xpress based graphics card which is only available for socket 939 as of now.

This post is kind of confusing.

1. As far as I know, socket 939 processors come in both 130nm and 90nm versions. Benefits of socket 939 come from the support of dual channel memory.

2.90nm does not neccessarily mean lower heat than 130 nm. Look at Prescott (90nm) vs Northwood (130nm).

3. Due to dual channel support, socket 939 is likely to perform better.

3. Some socket 939 based motherboards support AGP graphics(eg nforce3, Via K8t800 chipsets) and some support PCI exp graphics (nforce4, Via K8t890)

Count_Down said:
90nm does not neccessarily mean lower heat than 130 nm. Look at Prescott (90nm) vs Northwood (130nm).

it does :yes: it is proved........:eek:hyeah:

EDIT : I think i know you Ronit :bleh: IIRC, he already has a pinless :tongue: 3.2GHz and a D915GAV with DDR2 memory :rofl:and Transcend 512MB DDR 433MHz nad a Mercury 2.1 and a creative Inspire 5.1, onboard sound whose mic does not work, a guy who has a Audigy with which he doesnt want to record, etc etc........ :rofl:

Let me clear up your queries too...

This post is kind of confusing.

1. As far as I know, socket 939 processors come in both 130nm and 90nm versions. Benefits of socket 939 come from the support of dual channel memory.

I didnt kow about 939 coming in both 130 and 90 nm... Can somebody else please confirm this...

Also there are a lot of things which makes 939 a better platform then 754. Not only Dual Channel but Dual core support is there for 939 based chips.

2.90nm does not neccessarily mean lower heat than 130 nm. Look at Prescott (90nm) vs Northwood (130nm).

Well i was specifically talking about AMD 64's over here and not Intel.

3. Due to dual channel support, socket 939 is likely to perform better.

Not necessarily... There are benches where both 754 and 939 are compared togather and there are places where 754 has performed better than 939. Infact there was a thread few days back which had a link to a review where in some gaming benchmarks AMD ATHLON 64 3400 was crowned the best Gaming chip.

3. Some socket 939 based motherboards support AGP graphics(eg nforce3, Via K8t800 chipsets) and some support PCI exp graphics (nforce4, Via K8t890)

And that is what i exactaly meant when i asked ronit to choose a Graphics card first cause only graphics card would decide which mobo to go for. I never mentioned socket there but i said " For a good CPU + Mobo combo ask guys out here. But before you do that, zero down on a graphics card cause that would decide which mobo to go for and which would lead to finilasing of the chipset... not socket".

Hope this helps.

P.S. There is a thread running on TE "What is the 64 bit advantage?"... Mostly socket 939 is talked about here... Its a good read... http://www.techenclave.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1185

@Switch........the newcastle's and clawhammer's ..even thier top modal FX comes in 130nm.....winchester's 90nm.
c why the winchester's r sureshot good overclocker's.

Last edited by a moderator:
ok

so will b going for

AMD 64 3200 939
A8V Deluxe[K8T800Pro]
** how much performance drop'll be there if i go for AMD 64 3000 ? as compared to 3200 ?

ronit said:
ok

so will b going for

AMD 64 3200 939
A8V Deluxe[K8T800Pro]
** how much performance drop'll be there if i go for AMD 64 3000 ? as compared to 3200 ?

I have that exact combination. If you want any benchmarks, I can give it to you.

Additionally, I have 1GB Corsair Value Select RAM and a BFG6600GT AGP graphics card and my 3dmark03 is around 8200. Everything running at default speed with memory at 1T.

Count_Down said:
I have that exact combination. If you want any benchmarks, I can give it to you.

Additionally, I have 1GB Corsair Value Select RAM and a BFG6600GT AGP graphics card and my 3dmark03 is around 8200.

o very nice..

hey how much performance diff is there between 3000 & 3200

also i've tight budget of rs 15000/-.....so pl help me manage omething best

Back