User Guides Burning a CD from a Handycam/Capturing TV feed on PC via Handycam

Had posted this long time back for a user who wanted advice on this....

Thought this might come in handy for other folks too:

Most handycams sold these days are either Mini DV or Hi8 format....
Since both these formats are digital, it's fairly easy to create your own DVD/VCD (for standalone players), or store vids as mpegs on your HDD for easy access.....

The only hitch is finding the right combo of tools given the multiple steps involved ....

After using several tools and utilities, I think I have finally hit the perfect combo....Posting here for everyone's benefit

Pre-requistes :
  • MiniDV/Hi8 handycam
  • IEEE1394 (firewire) slot on the PC
  • Connecting cable

Now that this is done, here we go :

1- Install a PCI-IEEE1394 (firewire) card if the PC doesn't already have one

2- Install WinDV (freeware utility) , a <100KB app. (You can also use windows movie maker that comes with WinXP though i suggest u use windv as it is light and also doesn't drop any frames like Win Movie maker

3- Hook the DV port of the camera to the firewire port using a 4-6 pin firewire cable (will come along with the card) or 4-4 pin if using laptop

4- Set the tape to the point frm which u want to start recording

5- Enable the automatic DV camera control chkbox on winDV (it is The chkbox next to the capture button, the application doesn't have any txt describing wht it is)

6- specify the capture location (Ensure that the drive on which u r capturing has loads of empty space on it....The raw DV format footage frm a DV camera is ~13GB per hour ...i'd suggestthat this should be a separate partition frm the OS and is NTFS as NTFS allows large file sizes while FAT32 can't handle a single file ~4GB(don't rem the exact figure though)

7- click capture and relax till the tape reaches the end of the part which u want to capture

8- This takes care of the capturing needs...Now you need to compress these huge raw DVfiles (uncompressed avi format) to a more manageable format

9- I use a utility called WinAVI converter, most ppl use a freeware called TMPGenc..WinAvi converter is faster, TMPGenc gives u more freedom to tweak with the video

10- Add the captured raw DV avi files to batch conversion mode ....

11- you need to choose a suitable format for conversion....I use SVCD(MPEG1) as I find that loss of quality is much lower than VCD format (SVCD has twice the resolution than VCD)...the disadvantage is that a 700MB CD will hold ~35-40 mins of video as compared to ~74 mins in VCD format
Try playing around with different file format till you find the right one
(WMV is fairly decent even at high level of compression...if u want small file sizes, use wmv)

12- Start the conversion process and fix urself a drink :) 1 hr of footage takes approx 45 mins for conversion on my mid-end rig (AMD 2400, 256 Meg RAM)

13- Add the converted file to Nero, choose burn SVCD or VCD as appropriate....:)

Coupla notes :

a) VCD will play on any stand-alone VCD player...SVCDs are trickier..they play on my Chinese DVD player but refuse to work on some hi-end DVD players, however, they workon my friend's philips DVD player...haven't tried playing a SVCD on a stand-alon VCD player but i doubt if it'll work

b) WinDV breaks the captured Video into separate files at all points where the recording was paused while shooting...I prefer this mode...and I use TMPGenc to join the converted mpeg files as required...If u don't want to work with a single contigous file, set the pause threshold to "0" in the options menu (winDV)

TV /VHS Video cassette Capture Many ppl are not aware of the fact that most Digital handycams allow a Ana-digi pass-thru feature
  • Just feed the AV out from the TV/VCP to the video-in slot on the handycam (many handycams have a single pin for both in/out...You may need to set the pin to IN from within the menu)
  • Enable "DV out " on the handycam so that the pass-thru feature is activatd
  • Hook the DV out of the cam to the PC firewire slot
  • Start WinDV...if all is well till here, you should be able to see the TV/VCP video on the WinDV window....
  • Start the capture process
  • When done with with capturing, and it's time for conversion, plz bear in mind that it would be overkill to use a hi resolution format like MPEG1 (DVD/SVCD ) for TV/VHS cassette captures...Use Mpeg2/WMV etc

I'd be glad to be of help if anyone has any questions.... :)
---------------
Just as the clouds have gone to sleep
Angels can be seen in heaven's keep
Alone in fear they question why
Goddamn not an angel when I die !!!

Just an update here.....
After capturing the video and before converting it to mpg/wmv or any other format of ur liking, you would want to to edit those clips a bit....take out the boring stuff or to add music or whatever....

And trust me on this, for the first time, I liked a M$ app over any other for this.....
The XP SP2 bundled Windows Movie Maker is really quite good for editing those vids.....The only hitch (like any other M$ app) is that it will force you to save the end results as WMV's......If you can live with that, WMM 2 is a really useful tool.....

And anyway, once saved as a WMV, you can always use TmpgEnc or WinAvi to reencode it to a format of your liking,,,,,,,Just make sure that while saving as WMV, you use the highest bitrate option (>1.5mbps) as movie maker chooses really low bitrates as the default option

damn, a friend of mine sold off his mini DV cam for a pittance becoz he was pissed off at his videos occupying 13GB for every tape :(

Didn't even bother to ask me :(

Hey pal,why go for SVCD,when u go in a More Bitrate Higher quality video & in a Much Less space in the DivX(5) format.Though it is surely a non-universal format in many DVD standalone players,but it is surely becoming a de-facto format in Most DVD players(standalone) Nowdays!

..........I as for me(personally) do the ^ abv thing butfinally save them in divX format.I think it is(the format) is good value for space!

Very helpful guide indeed. I just have one query. I tried converting the captured file through Tmpgenc and vcd quality is still pretty average. Instead of such a long procedure I found its much better to use ulead video studio and directly capture to vcd format. Quality is better than/equal to tmpgenc and it saves a huge amount of time.

The idea behind using TMPGenc is to give you complete cobtrol over the output file in terms of the bit rate and encoding used :p

Sorry Buddy for ruining your guide but if u have a DV cam u can sure afford a TV tuner card which starts from Rs. 900/-

Here's my very short Guide :-

A. Install TV tuner card, drivers, software and stuff
B. Connect the AV cable of CAM to appropriate sockets of TV tuner card
C. Configure the software to capture in DVD/VCD NTSC/PAL
D. Press record on the software. Thereafter, quickly press play on CAM

There u have it ur video captured at 1x [realtime] in ur favorite format
No need to go through different softwares...

P.s:- There are even more softwares which will capture directly in DIVX, WMV or any other just google it and u'll get it !!!!!!

SOrry Buddy To ruin this

LOL..It's a two step process if you read carefully...

a) Capture using WinDV

b) Convert using TMPGenc to your desired format...

And as I said the idea here being full control over the entire process :D

I Forgot to metion that the short guide over will work with any handycams, VCR's, DVD player anything that has a AV output !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"SKY IS THE LIMIT" for my short guide

Back