CPU/Mobo Bulging capacitor! Problem?

rshri

Adept
I use a AMD Socket 939 computer that I myself assembled around 4 years ago. Yesterday, while cleaning the system, I noticed that a small capacitor on the motherboard has a bulging top. Its possible that it has been in bulged state for quiet some time, but I noticed it only yesterday.
My question is - how long can do you think my system can my sustain itself before it conks out? Please note that I am not experiencing any problems in my system at all.

Why wait? Get the capacitor replaced before the system conks off. If it is out of warranty and you can do a little bit of soldering you can do it yourself - otherwise get professional help.

its highy recommended to make the replacement of CAP ASAP ! dont wait further more,make sure to replace with good quality same ratng CAP.

replacing caps are easy job, but make sure that you find the exact replacement. Make sure that you change it ASAP, rather than waiting for it to explode or cause some hazards to the neighboring chips or caps....

Thanks for your advice!

I just noticed that another small neighboring cap is not standing upright but has a slightly bent angle. I suspect it has bulged from bottom.

I was initially thinking of holding off until some problems actually show up in the system. But your warning that damaged caps may further damage more neighboring caps/chips makes sense. I will try to find the exact cap replacements.

Since I am using the discontinued socket 939 system, if my motherboard goes bad, I will have to replace motherboard, processor & memory. It will be expensive.

Back