Budget 41-50k building a machine for proxmox

hi i would like to build a machine for proxmox i happened to stumble upon this
suggestions pls
If you don't plan to run it 24/7, sure. For learning it's a good start. But if it's something critical stay away. It's power hungry and only god knows how old are those chips on the motherboard.

Jingsha X99 dual socket boards are available on alibaba for 90$ and a compatible Xeon will cost you 20$ each. RAM will be another 20$. All in all you are looking at 160$. Add power supply, nvme, heatsinks, cabinet, HDD, you can easily get a good multicore setup within 40K INR. However, this is a server setup and the bios on these motherboards are not very flexible. You might have to tinker with PCIe lane distribution and other stuff. If you are ready for it, you may go ahead.

You have put in 0 effort into this and you have shared no information or objectives with this project. You made a post with basically no detail and now you are expecting people to respond with suggestions, suggestions for what?? It seems quite disrespectful to me.

You have put in 0 effort into this and you have shared no information or objectives with this project. You made a post with basically no detail and now you are expecting people to respond with suggestions, suggestions for what?? It seems quite disrespectful to me.
I would like to build a proxmox server under 50k using intel xeon CPUs

I would like to build a proxmox server under 50k using intel xeon CPUs

It's a novel but impractical idea.

From a performance standpoint, almost all Xeon V3 and V4 processors are slower than Ryzen 5000 processors and APUs. Even under heavy workloads, the higher IPC of the newer processors places a 6 core Ryzen faster than an 18 core Xeon.

That leaves only enterprise features like IPMI in the Xeon's favour, which is missing from all of the Chinese X99 motherboards. Their reliability is also not ideal.

If you can get a decent motherboard, like a Supermicro, then it's worth considering but those are difficult to find here.

Take a look into this 2xCPU+MOBO combo
That leaves 35K for
  • some cheap DDR4 RAM (atleast 4 sticks) I am running this RAM in one of my servers( this only runs few hours per day) x 4 ~ 8K
  • 2 x socket 2011 supported CPU cooler like this ~ 9.5K ( check your local market or in this forum for cheaper option)
  • PSU At least 650Watts ~ 6K
any alternate suggestion because i went through some youtube videos and it doesn't have IOMMU
Then better look for decent ATX Worskstation or server board.

Better option will be to get a refurbished DELL R720 available around ~ 65K

Last edited:
Back