Buffalo G125 + Tomato Firmware problems

Checksum

Skilled
I've been using tomato on my g125 for the past six months. Of late, the transfer rate between the computer connected to lan and the laptop connected to wifi has been pathetic! I'm not even able to listen to streaming songs from the download rig :( . Even with the laptop right next to the router, with signal strength about 80%, the tx speeds remain very bad.

Using tomato version 1.21 now. I've tried re flashing a couple of times, tried DD-WRT, but no avail. What could be wrong?

Can you please confirm what the transfer speeds are like ? Try using Tera Copy and transfer a song or a 700MB movie or some other file and check average transfer speeds. Did the two of you try resetting the router ?

Well, copying a 5mb file takes around 45 seconds :( no way i can try a 700mb file!

Edit : @freaky, i've reset the router many times, tried a full nvram erase, tried other firmware. Still stays the same. Seems to me something is broken :(

Freaky said:
Can you please confirm what the transfer speeds are like ? Try using Tera Copy and transfer a song or a 700MB movie or some other file and check average transfer speeds. Did the two of you try resetting the router ?

tried a reset too

Checksum said:
Well, copying a 5mb file takes around 45 seconds :( no way i can try a 700mb file!

same here

Try changing your transmission channel. There might be someone else transmitting in the same frequency and causing interference. Find an unoccupied channel and switch your router to use that.

lol ok. Doesnt the tomato firmware display the curremtly occupied channels and the wifi networks that are using it? Just choose one thats empty.

The problems isn't that. Its with encryption. Choosing TKIP alone with WPA or WPA2 slows down the whole transmission. Setting it to AES or TKIP/AES works fine! Getting about 2.5mbps tx rate now :)

I'd recommend setting the security to WPA2 personal, encryption to TKIP/AES and using a wireless filter for added security.

Hmmm,

Then I am very sure its not the issue with the router, but with the client. The client is confusing with the authentication schema. Those encryption aint CPU taxing anyway hence no way can slowdown with the transfer schema.

~LT

^^ Those were exactly my initial thoughts. But then i tried three different laptops, and each one was facing the same issue. Just to be doubly sure, i reinstalled windows, tried linux, and osx. I pretty much wasted the last two days trying to fix this issue.

I have no idea why TKIP doesn't work, but that seems to be the problem. Unfortunately i haven't tried the default firmware, so if Udit can verify that, it would lead us to a better solution.

Have tomato installed on a buffalo router but dont have a laptop to try this out.

Can you check out the specs of your wireless client. Does it have hardware support for AES?

TKIP may be slow as it is CPU intensive - can you check how much processor/memory is being used by your laptop when you do a transmission (a) using AES, (b) using AES/TKIP (c) using TKIP. Please have no other wireless devices on the network at that time.

I have a macbook. So pretty sure it supports AES. The problem maybe with TKIP though. Will run a test this evening and check the cpu usage.

Checksum said:
Unfortunately i haven't tried the default firmware, so if Udit can verify that, it would lead us to a better solution.

I had removed the default firmware many days ago :(

Back