Budget PC for music playback

Chid

Disciple
Hey friends, I am plan build a music PC. My existing music PC is so old and got some issues with CPU temperature.
Need to buy only MB,Processor, RAM and HDD. If IDE is available I am happy to you my existing DVD drive and HDD.
As I use an external HDD to store music. Need this to be silent pc. Don't want to hear any humming/fan noise.
Q: What is your budget?
Below 10K
Q: What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
Compaq P4 CPU 2.4 Ghz, 1GB ram, 160 GB IDE HDD.
Q: Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
ASUS Xonar essence ST sound card, May we can use the existing cabinet, DVD Drive.

Q: Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
No idea

Q: Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
no upgrades planned in near future

Q: Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
Chennai
Open to online purchase

Q: Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
Yes

Q: What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
Music PC

Q: Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
No preference

Q: If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
No games

Q: What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
HD output from MB is available in this budget.

Q: Are you looking to overclock?
No

Q: Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
Windows 7 / Win xp

Intel G620-3.5k
GIGABYTE GA-H61M-D2H-3.3k
Corsair Value Ram 1X4GB-1.2k
Segate 500GB HDD-4k[You can buy 2nd hand HDD @TE Market fo 2k or more]
Don't know you might get 250GB IDE HDD for 2.5k or so.
Hope this helps.

@Chid
Intel Pentium G620 - Rs. 3500
Corsair Value Ram 4GB x1 - Rs.1100/-
Corsair Vengeance CMZ4GX3M1A1600C9 - Rs. 1647/-
Western Digital 250GB Element Price in India Rs. 1,800
Western Digital 250GB 8MB SATA Price in India Rs. 1,600
Western Digital 320GB Element Price in India Rs. 2,100
Western Digital Scorpio Blue 160GB 5400RPM SATA WD1600BEVT Price in India Rs. 2,113
ASUS P8H61-M PLUS - Rs. 3500/

But if you ask me, I will go with this:-
ASUS P8H61-M PLUS - Rs. 3500/
Intel Pentium G620 - Rs. 3500
Corsair Vengeance CMZ4GX3M1A1600C9 - Rs. 1647/-
Western Digital Scorpio Blue 160GB 5400RPM SATA WD1600BEVT Price in India Rs. 2,113
Total budget come with Rs. 10.7K approx.
Hope to help you again. Cheers.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Mac.rock7 do not list the whole bunch of components vertically it gets confusing and why are you suggesting Corsair Vengeance for G620 rig doesn't make sense OP should go with Gigabyte H61+G620 and Normal Corsair 4gb ram with Segate HDD so no need to confuse op.

@Jakob:- Mate if you have a low budget for you rig and if someone come with low price with best component. But with so many choice. Then their is something wrong in it. If i done something wrong then my apology too you. Hopes to help. Cheers
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks a lot. Can I settle down for any Fanless CPU models?

---------- Post added at 05:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:16 PM ----------

No problems even if the budget spills over by 1-2k max :)

Can I settle down for any Fanless CPU models?

There are no boxed CPU's in the market that come without a Heat Sink Fan package, all CPU's get a basic HSF. Now you can buy a after-market HSF and replace your stock cooler if you feel it is too noisy.

Hope this helps, Cheers!!

Thanks again. That helps.

How does it compare with an AMD a6/a4 vs Intel Pentium G620 based system for my purpose?

The hard disk is a bit of an issue within your budget

I picked up a Intel DN2800MT (has a PCI-E slot for your STX) and a stick of memory for about 7.5K. It has no fans, and needs none, does HD decoding fine, and can run off a laptop supply so you can go truly fanless.

It's been a long time since I've come across the possibility of a truly silent music playback PC (and that's exactly what I bought this for).

If you're not too picky and will never play video, the cheaper D425 Atoms will aso be absolutely fine for music playback. And then you can fit in a hard disk as well into that budget.

Then one of the older Atoms will be enough. All of them are PCI-equipped, stay away from the Gigabyte ones though, they work very well but the fan is whiny. Works fine in peak summer with the fan disconnected, but gets a little too warm for my liking. In the newer lot, the D2700MUD will fit your needs but needs a regular ATX supply.

The Gigabyte 510UD I have also has an IDE port - and as I said, apart from HD decoding it will do everything you need it to for playing music (if you can keep the fan disconnected).

To eliminate PSU fan noise, get a fanless P$U, or a PicoPSU with an adapter. My Corsair VX450 makes quite the racket, was never quiet enough for music. The Antec EA380 in my music PC is quiet enough, though a really quiet PSU is the Seasonic X-560, which basically does not spin up the fan till about 100W power draw. Costs close to 7k though, not sure it is exactly appropriate for your budget.

ATX supply is necessary if not for the board. XONAR ST card requires power from SMPS.

---------- Post added at 11:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:00 AM ----------

Will check out D2700MUD

You might be able to think I know that:

http://www.techenclave.com/reviews-previews/review-asus-xonar-essence-st-124931/

The PicoPSU comes with the required molex female jack. As did my DN2800MT. The 2700MUD might, but instead of a DC input (which enables truly fanless operation) it needs a ATX supply, or a PicoPSU.

You specced that you didn't want to hear any fans. With the 2700 you will have to spend on a PicoPSU or a fanless PSU to achieve that objective.

Will check out D2700MUD
Intel Desktop Board D2700MUD (motherboard, mini ITX / micro ATX, Intel Atom D2700, NM10). If you think it's good for your music PC, Then go for it Mate. But the price of this D2700MUD is around 4.3K approx in india not so sure but it will be around near to 4.3K.
Hope to help. Cheers

Cranky and Mac.Rock,

D2700MUD with Pico PSU seems to be an superb combination for fanless CPU. Thanks Cranky for pointing in right direction. Will look out for any deals in Pico PSU.
Now this seems interesting. SSD to boot with 4GB Ram will make this a silent killer machine. Budget gone for a toss.:(
Let me know your comments.

Budget gone for a toss.
sad.png

You will forget what you spent in a three months.

You will never forget how it makes you feel when you listen to it.

Bought Intel D2500HN, Corsair 4GB, 1TB WD. SMPS is quiet enough, may upgrade to Pico PSU.
D2700 series not available in Chennai.

CPU usage at 3-4%. Wasapi + Foobar + Xonar ST + Arcam FMJ A18 + Dali Icon2 MK2 = BLISS :)

Thanks all. Thanks cranky.

Back