Budget Home PC

stockfly

Disciple
1.Q: What is your budget?

a.20000

2.Q: What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)

a.CPU - Intel 5200
b.Motherboard - Gigabyte G31 s2l
c.Bijli Cabinet with default smps
d.GPU - Nil
e. 250 gb hdd (seagate)
f.RAM - Kingston 2GB
g.Monitor - 17" CRT
h. i. Microsoft keyboard & mouse
3.Q: Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)

a.Monitor
b.4 GB Corsair XMS3 1600 mhz - already purchased
c. Microsoft keyboard & mouse (will be using the old one)
d. Bijli cabinet without smps

4.Q: Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.

a.CPU - AMD X3 440
b.Motherboard - 785G mobo (no idea which is good)
c.GPU - No idea
d. HDD - 1 TB seagate
e. LG DVD RW
f. LCD Monitor
g. SMPS

.Q: Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component

a. No, this configration will work for next 2 yrs +

6.Q: Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)

a.Delhi
b.Open to online purchase

7.Q: Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market

a.Yes

8.Q: What is your intended use for this PC/hardware

a.Mild Gaming
b.Browsing
c.Desktop Processing
d.HTPC
e.Download rig
f.Watching HD movies

9.Q: Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.

a. No

10.Q: If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?

a. I don't have much idea but would prefer playing crysis and Racing games at medium settings.

11.Q: What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage

Currently I hv a Panasonic 32" LCD TV (HD Ready) which I will be using while playing & seeing movies but will buy the monitor suggested in next 1 month.

1.Gaming - 1280x728
12.Q: Are you looking to overclock?

a.Yes (on stock).

13.Q: Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?

a.Windows 7 64 bit

well, i would suggest this..

1. get a good psu now, so you can buy a graphics card and run it on your existing system

or

2. push your processor purchase till april/may wait for the new processors from intel/amd

the thing is, for 1280x720 gaming, the Llano with a 480shader GPU IGP(more than HD5670) would do you good enough. So till then, buy the monitor, case, new HDD if you want, but keep the procc+mobo+ram combo for later.

2. push your processor purchase till april/may wait for the new processors from intel/amd

Which new processors are coming in April/May. And will they be in my budget?

I am selling my Pro + mobo + Ram + HDD + DVD to one of my friend who has already given me half the money.

stockfly said:
Which new processors are coming in April/May. And will they be in my budget?

I am selling my Pro + mobo + Ram + HDD + DVD to one of my friend who has already given me half the money.
Well it might come by end of May or early June. So there might be a slight delay. Yeah, it will be in your budget.

DarkAngel said:
Well it might come by end of May or early June. So there might be a slight delay. Yeah, it will be in your budget.

Can you give any glimps of what is coming and what will it be like and what will be the differene between the new once and the current once?

stockfly said:
Can you give any glimps of what is coming and what will it be like and what will be the differene between the new once and the current once?
As Comp@ddict said Llano processors have built in graphics (Like the current IGP)
Its a revelation in integrated graphics as it will sport 400 shaders (Equivalent to HD5570 and HD5670 both of which costs ~4k-5k)
So there will be a massive jump in graphics performance and for your needs of 720p gaming the integrated itself would suffice and you would not have to pay extra for a GPU.
Pricing is expected to be in line with the Current AthlonII series :) So you will spend way less than now and get the same performance for lesser power consumption if you are willing to wait.

DarkAngel said:
As Comp@ddict said Llano processors have built in graphics (Like the current IGP)
Its a revelation in integrated graphics as it will sport 400 shaders (Equivalent to HD5570 and HD5670 both of which costs ~4k-5k)
So there will be a massive jump in graphics performance and for your needs of 720p gaming the integrated itself would suffice and you would not have to pay extra for a GPU.
Pricing is expected to be in line with the Current AthlonII series :) So you will spend way less than now and get the same performance for lesser power consumption if you are willing to wait.

So it is something like what Intel has come out with. But the pricing of Intel is quite high so how can we expect amd to be coming out with some type of processors with half of intel's current pricing?

Secondly, as i am in mild gaming, would'nt it be better to buy something now with onboard graphics and I can just replace the Processor later?

Can you give any link for amd new upcoming processors with details?

stockfly said:
So it is something like what Intel has come out with. But the pricing of Intel is quite high so how can we expect amd to be coming out with some type of processors with half of intel's current pricing?

Secondly, as i am in mild gaming, would'nt it be better to buy something now with onboard graphics and I can just replace the Processor later?

Can you give any link for amd new upcoming processors with details?

Yeah like Intel's but this would be much more powerful than that. About ~3 times more powerful graphics performace. Since Intel moved onto to newer fab(32nm) last year they were able to implement it first.

AMD Reveals More Llano Details at ISSCC: 32nm, Power Gating, 4-cores, Turbo? - AnandTech :: Your Source for Hardware Analysis and News
You cant do that because it needs new motherboard. So that option is out of the window. You have to upgrade both processor + Mobo

Google Translate

According to AMD's current schedule of engineering samples will be available in March for Fusion processors L1ano start production in June and is expected to perform the official launch in July

July is really far and July too is not for India so I guess these new processors will not come before Last week of Aug.2011. Nearly 6 months from now.

I can't wait that much. I would prefer to buy some low budget PC now and will certainly upgrade it after 6 months. So please give me suggestions so that I can upgrade the PC in next 6 months or so.

To use a PC for just 4 months is something which i wont advice u to do... Intel's current paltform is suffering from Intel's Sata bug and the 1156 socket platform and AM3 socket platform are on the verge of getting EOL'ed... i wud advice u to wait for Sandybridge dualcore CPUs which are gonna launch next month wid repaired H67 chipset...

Hades. said:
To use a PC for just 4 months is something which i wont advice u to do... Intel's current paltform is suffering from Intel's Sata bug and the 1156 socket platform and AM3 socket platform are on the verge of getting EOL'ed... i wud advice u to wait for Sandybridge dualcore CPUs which are gonna launch next month wid repaired H67 chipset...

What does repaired H67 chipset mean? And will be Sandy Bridge dual core in his budget?

rohitshakti2 said:
What does repaired H67 chipset mean? And will be Sandy Bridge dual core in his budget?
The chipset had issues. So they fixed that and now have a revised B3 or Rev 3 chipset. Plus the H61 budget mobos will also release in May i guess. These are G41 replacemene and hence i expect them to be priced at 3k.
The Core i-3 SB will be 5.5k-6k and the Pentium SB will replace the current dual cores @ the 3k-3.5k price range.

The Core i-3 SB will be 5.5k-6k and the Pentium SB will replace the current dual cores @ the 3k-3.5k price range.

Will these be coming in March 2011 or in June 2011? And if the pricing is correct, they will be an atom bomb on current processors....

rohitshakti2 said:
Will these be coming in March 2011 or in June 2011? And if the pricing is correct, they will be an atom bomb on current processors....

I dont think so coz AMD still holds the VFM crown ;) i3 2100 wud launch wid a price tag of around 6k to 6.5k in india... Amd has 955BE to compete wid this processor... which is currently selling for 6.25k here in india... 955BE vs. i3 2100... U already know which processor will win... ;)

So is anything coming in March else I will have to buy a PC now or my brother is going to kill me as I have already sold his PC. The maximum wait period could be upto March 2011.

stockfly said:
So is anything coming in March else I will have to buy a PC now or my brother is going to kill me as I have already sold his PC. The maximum wait period could be upto March 2011.

Nope... u wud only get to see some i3 SB dualcores in the month of march wid B3 Stepping chipset motherboards... In the month of April AMD is gonna release its highly anticipated Bulldozer core processors... If u can wait till april then do wait...

But if u cant then i wud suggest u to buy this:

Processor AMD Athlon II x3 440 3300

Motherboard Gigabyte 880GA-UD3H 5500

HDD Seagate 7200.12 500GB 1750

Cabinet CM Elite 310 1500

Monitor Dell 1920IN 5550

PSU FSPSaga II 350w/Gigabyte Superb 460w 1500/1950

Speakers Logitech R20 2.1 850

DVD Writer Samsung 950

Total 20900/21350

Ur brother wud b able to use this rig for 2yrs or more than two yrs ;)

Processor AMD Athlon II x3 440 3250

Motherboard Gigabyte GA-MA785GMT-US2H 3400

HDD Seagate 7200.12 500GB 1750

Cabinet CM Elite 310 1500

Monitor Dell IN 2020 M 6600

PSU Gigabyte Superb 460w 2000

Speakers Altec Lansing BXR1121 2.1 950

DVD Writer Samsung 850

Total 20300

I would suggest such a expensive mobo for a budget config. Even AM3 is EOL. Better stick the Giga 785G and invest in a better monitor, PSU and save some bucks.

Keep in mind thhat Dell IN2020M has VGA and DVI-D output but the IN2020 has only VGA. Dont end up buying the VGA only monitor. Even the IN2020M doesnt come with a DVI cable bundled. So you would have to spend ~Rs.150-200 for that.

Alternate 20" LED is the Benq GL2030AM ~ 6.3k. This too has VGA and DVI-D o/p's

@OP

If u r gonna keep this for 2 yrs or so then go wid the mobo that i've suggested its worth it... As all the SSDs manufacturers are set to release SF-2000 based Sata6GBps SSDs so a Mobo wid Sata 3 is really worth for future upgrades... And in 2012 to 2013 SSDs will become standard... So a mobo wid Sata3 and USB3 is really worth buying...

Hades. said:
@OP

If u r gonna keep this for 2 yrs or so then go wid the mobo that i've suggested its worth it... As all the SSDs manufacturers are set to release SF-2000 based Sata6GBps SSDs so a Mobo wid Sata 3 is really worth for future upgrades... And in 2012 to 2013 SSDs will become standard... So a mobo wid Sata3 and USB3 is really worth buying...
I dont think such budget rigs requires a SSD at all for the next 3-4 years. Cost per GB is still very high and presence is India is very low. Even most people with Core i7's haven't started going for SSD's yet. And USB 3.0 can be added later if absolutely needed using a PCI-E expansion card.

IMO a difference of 2.1k for in a 20k budget (~10%) is a bit too high for spending on just a couple of features that he might not even use once in the next year or two. Its better to spend that on monitor that one uses every time he uses a PC + a better efficient and powerful PSU which will save couple of watts and allow more headroom for upgrades.

Honestly USB 3.0 is more a deal breaker in laptops where adding internal HDD's cant be done and we use external HDD's a lot and upgrading options are limited by presence of express card slot. Even that will result in the USB ports sticking out of the laptops. This is the situation where i would say its a deal breaker due to the frequency in which laptop users need a external HDD and limited upgrade options.

Just my opinions. Its up to OP to decide which component is more important and worthy to spend his money on based on usage.

Back