CPU/Mobo BTX or E-ATX?

The BTX form factor is intended to be the next motherboard standard after ATX.

E-ATX (Extended ATX) as the name suggests is just a larger sized ATX board (12 x 13") and is a current standard intended primarily for Dual-processor boards since you need the larger board area to accomodate 2 Sockets for the 2 processors. You will mostly find this form factor in server-oriented dual-processor boards , I dont think it is headed to the Desktop segment.

Crazy_Eddy said:
The BTX form factor is intended to be the next motherboard standard after ATX.

To be more accurate, BTX is what Intel is pushing to make the new standard.
So far, only a few cabinets like CM Stacker 820 are specifically designed in
accordance with the BTX pseudo-standard. And AFAIK, only a few Intel processors
comply with BTX.

BTx is another BS from intel ..... they are again trying to shift the whole cabby thing ...... but AFAIK the motherboard sud be also BTX type to fit on the BTX cabby ..... there are some cabbies available which can converted in ATX to BTX and vice versa but there are few mobo's of BTX standard ...... damn intel

Exactly....the load of garbage that Intel used to try and push the BTX standard was just because their Prescots were running like radiators. They felt that changing the layout of the motherboard and moving the powersupply ought to reduce this thermal problem they were facing.

Looks like there are not many takers for this standard except for the larger OEMs , Dell etc.

Intel ought to take their holistic mumbo jumbo and actually get their products to actually work the way they are supposed to instead of telling Tom, Dick and Harry to change the stuff that actully IS working.

Thumbs up AMD!

I think that BTX is going to go the same way Rambus went. The only good thing about the BTX form factor is the repositioning of the memory modules from the right to the top of the mobo. Hell......we already got a number of manufacturers doing this with regular ATX boards :p

BTX was able to solve some of Intel's thermal isues, if it works why not adopt it. Also if I am not wrong the power connector is also very effectively placed on the mobo making the wire mess more tidier.

Aces170 said:
BTX was able to solve some of Intel's thermal isues, if it works why not adopt it. Also if I am not wrong the power connector is also very effectively placed on the mobo making the wire mess more tidier.
BTX is short for 'solution to intel's problems' fact is their CPU's disappate as much heat as a falcon vr V8 being wrung.....(ford falcon as in a car);)

So it solves intel's probs but isn't very good at anything else.....why phase out an existing solution because one manufacturer has problems keeping temperatures under control??
The answer is simple, intel is too big a company to start anything and not be able to successfully push it, or keep trying till it becomes a standard...
eventually ATX will die or evolve...simply due to the push and grunt that Intel has....

A point i'll make here is that while we all (most anyway) agree that AMD 64's in their current avatars are better than Intel's equivalent @ most tasks....Intel still doesn't even consider AMD to be competition, sort of a kid playing in my backyard sort of thing.......Nothing against AMD here, just a note to remember..

vandal said:
Intel still doesn't even consider AMD to be competition, sort of a kid playing in my backyard sort of thing.......Nothing against AMD here, just a note to remember..

Intel has more money no doubt, but it your statements were true, then Intel wouldn't have gotten into the mad funk that it has.

It has completely changed its roadmaps (Tejas was supposed to continue the Netburst architecture) and cancelled products; released others as a sort of last-minute, desperate measure (read: Smithfield); struck other deals to secure profits (To provide Apple with x86 processors); changed numbering schemes several times because megahertz is no longer a goldmine it could bank on; is facing lawsuits regarding unlawful monopoly exerted by itself on assemblers; and oh yeah most important - has LESS market-share than AMD, through retail, in the US as of October 2005. AMD is 49.8% compared to 48.5% by Intel.

You still think that Intel doesn't consider AMD as competition, and rather, as a kid playing in the backyard?

^^ Lol.

Intel is definately rattled by AMD's current position Vandal.

Its obvious in how theyve Rushed products and not made em upto the Mark.

Plus, Intel's Conroe and Yonah's which are "supposed" to be better than A64's we announced shortly after AMD posed a Threat to Intel's domination.

It has certainly woken upto competition, and for a change actually had a cheaper dual core option then AMD.

Bottom line being Intel has 85% + market share, unless AMD gets the OEM deals its gonna remain the case.

Back