Btech in IT from good college vs CSE in average college

"St.Thomas is known for its discipline. Keep that in mind if you do choose it"
What do you mean by that?

And what about B C Roy eng college??It has closing rank below 10000 in most branches....

"St.Thomas is known for its discipline. Keep that in mind if you do choose it"
What do you mean by that?

And what about B C Roy eng college??It has closing rank below 10000 in most branches....

By Discipline I mean that the teachers and administration is quite strict. If you want a college like the ones they show in the movies, dont even think of St. Thomas. Everyone will keep you in check. But at the end of 4 years you may benefit from it since companies like obedient, punctual, disciplined employees.

I have very little idea about B.C.Roy. As far as I know, their core streams are good. A relative studied Mechanical there. He got a job in an automobile company on-campus(dont be too overjoyed though. That company took only 3-4 people).
I don't have any idea about placement in IT/CSE streams in there.

The colleges in Kolkata fill up first and then only people go to the districts. Among the colleges in the districts, Haldia is best and after that comes MCKV and B.C.Roy, I think.
But last year, campussing was quite poor in Haldia. It was quite shocking. But everyone thinks that this was more linked to political matters rather than anything else. Ask your parents who Lakshman Seth is and they will elaborate.
But they are an established college and things will turn good once again I think.

Sent from my LG-P500

The colleges you are considering, well honestly, don't exactly carry any brand value anyway. You are better off with CSE from such colleges. There is point is getting IT if you could get a Top 20-30 Indian college for IT instead, like NSIT or DCE or IIITs or PEC or Thapar etc. But the type of colleges you are considering, I don't mean to upset you or anything but it doesn't make a difference which college you go and/or which degree you take. CSE will have some edge over the other degrees irrespective of college but that is about it. Unless you go to the Top Tier NITs or IIITs or DCE and above range, all colleges are nearly equally bad.

And once go lower than IPU or less than Top 100 Indian engg colleges, it absolutely makes zero difference with the college and degree. But CSE is better compared to college in such cases.

Go for CSE, none of the colleges will help you in MBA, all will be unheard of :) And none of these colleges really get very different placements. All of them are equally good or bad.

And speaking specifically of those colleges, I don't have any idea so I am not 100% certain about it.

But generally speaking, as long as the colleges are not leagues apart, a slightly lower college with CSE is better. But of course if you compare CSE in Thapar and IT in NSIT, then of course NSIT is better, for example.

However, as long as the colleges aren't a league apart, for MBA purposes CSE will be a preferred course I guess because unless you are from a genuinely good college aka read top 20-30 colleges in India, your college is a negative point. so at least you get the course plus point since most interviewers prefer candidates from IITs DU MU PU NITs IIITs etc anyway

The colleges you are considering, well honestly, don't exactly carry any brand value anyway. You are better off with CSE from such colleges. There is point is getting IT if you could get a Top 20-30 Indian college for IT instead, like NSIT or DCE or IIITs or PEC or Thapar etc. But the type of colleges you are considering, I don't mean to upset you or anything but it doesn't make a difference which college you go and/or which degree you take. CSE will have some edge over the other degrees irrespective of college but that is about it. Unless you go to the Top Tier NITs or IIITs or DCE and above range, all colleges are nearly equally bad.

And once go lower than IPU or less than Top 100 Indian engg colleges, it absolutely makes zero difference with the college and degree. But CSE is better compared to college in such cases.

Go for CSE, none of the colleges will help you in MBA, all will be unheard of :) And none of these colleges really get very different placements. All of them are equally good or bad.

And speaking specifically of those colleges, I don't have any idea so I am not 100% certain about it.

But generally speaking, as long as the colleges are not leagues apart, a slightly lower college with CSE is better. But of course if you compare CSE in Thapar and IT in NSIT, then of course NSIT is better, for example.

However, as long as the colleges aren't a league apart, for MBA purposes CSE will be a preferred course I guess because unless you are from a genuinely good college aka read top 20-30 colleges in India, your college is a negative point. so at least you get the course plus point since most interviewers prefer candidates from IITs DU MU PU NITs IIITs etc anyway

4 years is a long time and in that time he may choose not to do an MBA.
I know of the colleges that he mentioned under CSE.
Other than JIS, they others are very new, set up just 3-4years ago. So to reach the level of the others, they still have a lot to do.
And in WBUT colleges, the recruitments in new colleges are quite low compared to the older established ones.
@Ray If you are hell bent on taking CSE, then choose JIS. But be prepared for the hostel life. I have heard quite a few stories regarding it. ;-)

Sent from my LG-P500

Last edited by a moderator:
^^Stories huh? Good ones or where you get beaten to death,pushed off the roof etc!!

---------- Post added at 03:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:05 PM ----------

@rite- there are several good mba colleges in kolkata only like iimetc,they will know which colleges in west bengal are good and bad??

^^Stories huh? Good ones or where you get beaten to death,pushed off the roof etc!!

---------- Post added at 03:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:05 PM ----------

@rite- there are several good mba colleges in kolkata only like iimetc,they will know which colleges in west bengal are good and bad??
@Ray Sent you a PM with one-two of those stories.

There are very few good MBA colleges in Kolkata.
Only IIM, Army Institute of Management and IISWBM.
IISWBM is nowhere near to the other two though.

Sent from my LG-P500

Last edited by a moderator:
As long as you get into an average college and do an EC, OR CSE OR IT course, you'll be picked up by TCS or Wipro. Together they took 400 students out of a single college in Orissa.

Should i consider doing IT from Heritage Institute of Technology or CSE from an average college like Techno??

Your thought process is the perfect recipe for a disgruntled IT professional 10 years down the line.

first question you have to ask is, do you really love what you want to do. I am asking this question because you mentioned that you want to do MBA down the line. so where do you want to see yourself down the line? as an IT manager? a finance guy(MBA fin)? or a marketing guy(MBA marketing)? CS or IT doesnt really matter for that.

Second thing is that if you get a job immediately after completing your CS/IT, you will have around 10-15% of the real world knowledge. so when choosing a college take a look at the placement history and the computer lab they have. usually lecturers dont matter and the only thing matters in a college is the no of computers in the per head.

CSE or IT - doesn't matter.They are more or less the same. Education in engineering colleges is pretty lame. You will have to learn stuff on your own.Just concentrate fully on programming. Learn Java,C++,Python,SQL,Web dev because most recruiters want programmers at the end of 4 years. Now on which college to decide, go to a college where the crowd is good. A place where you feel wanted, make good friends. Trust me, you don't want to go to a college full of geeks who just study day-in day-out, attend all lectures or are forced to do so by the management. You should have fun and make some cool friends. Do some crazy shit. Smoke some weed :D And yes don't overdue it. Do everything but in limit.

The OP is from 2012. So @Rahul Biswas, kindly create a new thread & provide ample details specific to your situation. I'm sure you'll come across many helpful souls here on TE.

Why create a new thread? Well, it is generally considered bad etiquette to bump up old threads, for one. Plus, many others responding now will probably miss the fact that you have a similar question. Rather, their answers will be aimed at the OP who probably doesn't need any help right now.

Cheers!

The differences between the two streams depend on and changes from university to university, but in general, if you exclude IIIT's from the equation and consider only the private engg institutions and their curriculum, B.Tech IT is more akin to MCA than to an Engg branch. It helps you become a programmer. You have lot of programming related curriculum without going into in-depth details of analog/digital electronics, computer architecture, micro-controllers and microprocessors, computer networks, computation theory (Automata, FSMs) like they do with B.Tech CSE. While there may be some overlap in the subjects, the depth is totally different.

Crudely put, B.Tech IT was designed to prepare you to be a Software Programmer while B.Tech CSE prepares you to be a Software Engineer. In terms of jobs, while a lot depends on your own skills and learning drive, crudely put, B.Tech IT prepares you for the vast majority of companies that constitute the IT services sector like Infy, TCS etc, while B.Tech CS prepares you for Google, MS, Adobe which may require in-depth knowledge of how things work in order to engineer and design stuff.

So yes, there are similarities, but there are also usually drastic differences if you go into depth.

I haven't seen a single company that doesn't allow IT to sit for placements with CS. So it will make no difference when it comes to placements. Choosing a good college, however, will make all the difference. I suggest you go for IT.

^^ No one's going to stop B.Tech IT students from sitting for placements for any company, but curriculum wise, you are better prepared for certain types of companies with CS branch. Again note that IT from IIIT's is an exception. I am specifically taking about the colleges affiliated to some university or private colleges are deemed universities.

As an example, If students are made to take the Adobe selection test without any prior preparation, Most B.tech IT students will not be able to make it through or at least won't fare as good as B.Tech CS students. There will be lot of deep problem solving and theory type questions from Theory of computation, compiler design, Computer Organization, networks and operating system internals that are simply not covered in such depth for IT.

Same goes for GATE. I gave GATE just like that with no preparation in my 4th year and still scored an AIR rank in the seven hundreds. Nobody from B.Tech IT branch from my college even qualified. The main hurdle was the extent and quantity of questions asked from the CS only topics.

Do also note that the above is not to be interpreted as advice to take CS branch from an inferior college. I would most certainly recommend to go for the better college, but do keep the differences in mind and make sure to be ready for it depending on your future goals.

Back