BSOD + Restart on Vista

vb86

Adept
Ive been facing a problem with my dell xps m 1330. The OS installed is Vista Home Premium. There are 2 partitions:

C: for the OS
D: for recovery

When i start my notebook, i get the BSOD while vista is booting. Then it starts dumping the memory after which it restarts. After a few tries, i can get the system to work. If the machine boots properly, there is no problem until i restart it.

Earlier, the BSOD mentioned a file win32.sys. Now it doesnt mention any file but some characters. I have used the dell diagnostic cd to do a hardware check and there seems to be no problem. I dont know how effective these tests are. The support center wants me to do a format. I want to rule out all possibilities before i need to start backing up my data for an OS reinstall. Please help.

yes.. the problem is that i dont get enough time to note it down. memory dumping reached 100% before i can do anything. There is a way to get it from the log right?

Try to do the following ,turn on the computer on the BIOS screen keep tapping F8 to get windows advanced options

2) Now select disable automatic restarts on system failure ( so that the system doesn't restart on BSOD)

3) write down the info

4) Now go the same advanced options and select safe mode , try booting ,if u are able to boot do a clean boot ie disable all third party services and apps from msconfig and restart the machine.

Post the same abt whats happening

if its OEM copy u do not have to worry abt License key as u will not get a screen to punch in the key nor activation wizard as OEM keys are preactivated by the manufacturer.

vrd said:
have you checked you RAM for errors? use Memtest if you already havent.

also,..try upgrading to sp1 if you are not using that already.

downloaded the app and ran it. no errors

metalspree said:
Try to do the following ,turn on the computer on the BIOS screen keep tapping F8 to get windows advanced options

2) Now select disable automatic restarts on system failure ( so that the system doesn't restart on BSOD)

3) write down the info

4) Now go the same advanced options and select safe mode , try booting ,if u are able to boot do a clean boot ie disable all third party services and apps from msconfig and restart the machine.

Post the same abt whats happening

disabled auto restart. restarted the system a few times but no BSOD. Will post the results as soon as i get one.

metalspree said:
if its OEM copy u do not have to worry abt License key as u will not get a screen to punch in the key nor activation wizard as OEM keys are preactivated by the manufacturer.

thanks. ive downloaded the app just in case.

got the BSOD while resuming from standby. Here is what i got:

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

technical info:

***STOP: 0x00000050 (0xB3377F54, 0x00000000, 0x820C6C5F, 0x00000002)

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 50
BCP1: B3377F54
BCP2: 00000000
BCP3: 820C6C5F
BCP4: 00000002

haaaaaa here u go this error is caused by bad display drivers follow the below

To resolve this problem, start your computer in Safe mode, remove the display adapter, rename the .inf files that are associated with the display adapter drivers, restart your computer in Normal mode, and then update your display adapter drivers. if problem persists follow the below

1. Start Windows in Safe mode.
2. In the message that states that Windows is running in Safe mode, click Yes.
3. open msinfo32
4. Under System Summary, expand Components, and then click Display.
5. In the right pane, note the information that corresponds to the INF File item, for example, Nv4.inf, Oem0.inf, or Atim128.inf.
6. Quit the System Information utility.
7. Click Start, right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.
8. Click the Hardware tab, and then click Device Manager.
9. Expand Display adapters, right-click the display adapter, and then click Uninstall.
10. Click OK.
11. open cmd
12. In the Command Prompt window, type the following commands, and then press ENTER after each line:
ren %systemroot%\inf\INF file name from Step 5.inf *inf.old
ren %systemroot%\inf\INF file name from Step 5.pnf *pnf.old
13. Then restart the computer in the typical manner.
14. Log on to Windows by using an account that has administrative privileges, and then wait for Windows to detect new hardware.
15. When the Found New Hardware Wizard starts, click Cancel.

If you receive a stop error after you remove the updated display drivers, restart the computer and use the Last Known Good Configuration option. To do this, restart the computer, and then press the F8 key while the computer starts. On the Windows Advanced Options Menu that appears, use the ARROW keys to select Last Known Good Configuration, and then press ENTER.

If you receive a "System Has Recovered from a Serious Error" message when Windows starts, restart the computer again. This error message does not recur.

so as i understand i should do the following:

restart in safe mode.

goto device manager and uninstall the display driver.

Rename the following to oem48.inf.old (found under display in system info:
INF File oem48.inf (nv_G86_0 section)

Restart in normal mode.

Open device manager again and update driver for 8400m gs.

The update should be from a fresh download with the latest drivers?

did the following:

got the updated nvidia drivers from dell support
uninstalled the display device.
renamed the inf and pnf file.
restarted.
on reboot, windows recognised the device. asked whether it wanted me to finish installation or do it later. i chose later and went into device magager. the display device had already meen recognised and did not show th exclamation mark icon. i still installed the new drivers and rebooted.

should everything be ok now?

apparently not. everything seemed fine last night. got to consecutive bsods in the morning.

1st:
MEMORY_MANAGEMENT
0x0000001A (0x00004000, 0x8E0BB958, 0x0000005B, 0x0017F7ED)

2nd:
MEMORY MANAGEMENT
0x0000001A (0x00004000, 0x86C03210, 0x00000001, 0x0017F7ED)

the only thing ive done is used tuneup 2009 to fix errors. dont really remember if this problems been there before that or not.

Back