BSNL EVDO - Question about Sierra 595u and 598u...!!

Clarkdale44

Disciple
Hello

I am a regular user of bsnl evdo, i am using micromax mmx 300c at the moment. I used to have prithvi that bsnl guys gave me when i bought the connection. I am gonna cut to the chase now, i have been reading a lot about sierra 595 and 598u modems, these modems said to work best with bsnl evdo and even in low signal conditions, i just wants to confirm that whether its true or not.. With mmx 300c i have put it in window, its facing tower side and i usually get 300kbps to 1 mbps speed, mmx 300c supports extension cable up to of 10 meters. I just want to know if i buy this sierra 595u or 598u , will it increase my connection performance?

One more thing i wanna confirm.. If i buy this 595u, will i be able to use it with router. Currently i am sharing my evdo connection using a 3g wifi router, my mmx 300c is working decently with tp link mr 3220 router, can i be able to do the same with sierra 595u?

One more thing i wanna confirm.. If i buy this 595u, will i be able to use it with router. Currently i am sharing my evdo connection using a 3g wifi router, my mmx 300c is working decently with tp link mr 3220 router, can i be able to do the same with sierra 595u?

If u are using stock firmware i don't think so, as it is not in the list of supported modem of this model.
3G/4G USB Modem Compatibility List for TL-MR3220

It supports some modems which are not on that list. You will have to take a leap of faith on this.

Or just search on Google and see if you are able to find someone who has used the modem with that specific router.

Just as @hotshot05 said, i always had to take leap of faith whenever i had to buy a router for bsnl evdo. When i bought 3220, at first it didn't even recognized the modem then i upgraded its firmware then it worked fine. On the other hand it doesn't works with many of my 3g modems.

Just as @hotshot05 said, i always had to take leap of faith whenever i had to buy a router for bsnl evdo. When i bought 3220, at first it didn't even recognized the modem then i upgraded its firmware then it worked fine. On the other hand it doesn't works with many of my 3g modems.
How much speed you get with your modem.... And distance of evdo tower from your home...

^^also u can search OpenWRT forum.
Actually i have a 598U and 3420 router, but it is not supported.

Yeah, so far i have found that only Cradlepoint MBR 1000 supports sierra 595u and 598u. These modems are not supposed to be used in India that's why no regular router supports this. Also custom firmware like DD-WRT supports it as well. I heard i also need a zte modem to read the info from my ruim. Wouldn't my mmx 300c can do the same? Also which zte modem to buy?, my friend has a ac8700.

How much speed you get with your modem.... And distance of evdo tower from your home...

Well i am not quite sure about the distance, i think its about 2-3 km. Speed is varying, as i said i usually get 300kbps to 1 mbps with my mmx 300c. I have to move modem on occasional basis to get constant speed. I usually get 3 bars in my connection manager.

First check if the modem is detected by the software such as DFS, ZTEPST, CDMA Workshop or not. If it is detected then u can use it for retrieve the data from the modem. For this u can read this thread bsnl-evdo-have-some-queries-about-speed-and-charges or u can use this guide configure-bsnl-evdo-on-sierra-598u
If not then u can use zte 2766 model. This model is really good, performance wise its even comparable to 598U model by the more experience member and it also support the tp-link router.
I tag some more experience member @kuduku, @cisco_tech

First check if the modem is detected by the software such as DFS, ZTEPST, CDMA Workshop or not. If it is detected then u can use it for retrieve the data from the modem. For this u can read this thread bsnl-evdo-have-some-queries-about-speed-and-charges or u can use this guide configure-bsnl-evdo-on-sierra-598u
If not then u can use zte 2766 model. This model is really good, performance wise its even comparable to 598U model by the more experience member and it also support the tp-link router.

Thanks man for such info...

595U and 598U has limited compatibility with routers. 595U works on stock Asus firmware. but it didnt work on Tomato and DD-WRT.

Which asus router you are referring to? My friend has Asus RT N13U B1 with stock firmware on it. I saw DD-WRT modem compatibility list and it was a huge list. Anyway which sierra do u suggest? 595 or 598u, 595 has battery, if it died what then? I saw a deal for 595u at 900 Rs from somewhere, while unable to find a good deal of 598u. Also there is ac2766 as well. Upon researching about it i saw many good experienced members are suggesting it after using sierra.

As you said i tried with prithvi and mmx 300c, they are being detected in the softwares but not able to retrieve information from modem. So i guess i will have to get zte 2766.

Back