BSNL 3G Thread

Still could not procure 1 BSNL 3G SIM. Supposedly they give it out only at two exchanges in Gurgaon. And in the one close to my place, the concerned guy is on a holiday since a week almost now. He came back today and when I called him he is asking me to come on Monday as there is a 3 day country wide BSNL strike or something. Wow. These guys surely enjoy life.

Supra said:
^^ hey are u going to the CSC and checking it ? My native place is also Agartala :p....check in the BSNL Kaman Chowmanhi office mobile section regarding activation. Also please not prepaid 2G/3G sims taken in Agartala (NE1 Cicrcle) works only in NE1, NE2 and Assam Circles. They wont work once you come to say Bangalore :(
yup i got the sim from csc..will visit the kaman chowmanhi branch once their strike ends on 3rd dec,

well except for postpaid connection no service providers has roaming option for outside NE1/2 and vice verca, my b'lore's bsnl sim and others sim doesn't work here..

and As far my knowledge even NE1/2 sims does not work in Assam unless it is a postpaid, that state is totally separated !!

Anyway can't figure out whats the issue with my connection as the csc guys here telling that the sim is already activated and has to be updated by kolkata telecom dept...and y is it in my case its taking so long to get updated moreover the customer care numbers are also not working from here.

virus32win said:
After recharge that 3G speed (2mbps+) will disappear because 2G GPRS of 274/- UL pack is throttled to 256kbps (32KB/s) maximum.
CSC auntie told me "beta do recharge with 300/- , you might get 274/- credit & I got SMS that my a/c got top up .

but after this my 3G speed gone to like 256 kbps as you mentioned .

although my other data card is safe that I did it 4200/- & it's working fine .

so any 1 do recharge be specific & tell them proper or you gonna bottleneck speed

Here in kolkata both 2G and 3G sims are working fine.I'm getting 3G speed from my 2G sim while using it in UMTS mode.3G sims are working really great!!
Today I've noticed another thing.I used to get -98_-91dBm signal strength from the 1st floor.But today I'm getting -83_-81dBm from 1st floor and -85_-83dBm even from the ground floor also.I think BSNL guys are working really hard to cover the whole city with their 3G coverage.
So three cheers for BSNL kolkata!!:hap2:

Got the Antenna I ordered today. :( Mobile Partner shows Signal Strength as 90-95 without antenna, after connecting the antenna either the signal strength remains the same or decreases! :(

But the RSSI value is still high, -91 to -86 db!

varkey said:
Got the Antenna I ordered today. :( Mobile Partner shows Signal Strength as 90-95 without antenna, after connecting the antenna either the signal strength remains the same or decreases! :(

You are using the antenna with the UMG1831 ?

varkey said:

But the RSSI value is still high, -91 to -86 db!
try using USB extension cable with ferrite core .

my download speeds increased from 2.5mbps to 4mbps after using USB extension cable.

my tower gone nuts

download is around 1 mbps & upload is 2 mbps :ashamed:

33o44lt.jpg

yep it's default soft come with BSNL data card ;)

btw wht I did , put my data card in laptop & checked signal on terrace , gallery .

found good signal near bed window in gallery , temporary arrangement with 3 mtr USB extension cable & voila ,UMTS signal all time :D

archat68 said:
I can't get any signal at all on mobile with my new sim. When I try to manually search and add the network - it is showing Cellone on operator list but when I'm trying to connect it is giving "access denied" or "registration failed" message.

When I called my new sim from other mobile i'm getting switched off message.
buddy ur sim is activated but u have to do First Recharge of either Rs.120 or RS.58 or Rs.52 ,then only u can access internet or make any calls otherwise u will get only incoming calls.

babhishek said:
budget dude... thats what makes the difference....
Budget is not a challenge , there are 2 things primary i am looking at : -

Get a router in which i can put the sim in directly and work, as i have couple of pc's at home. I don't want a router in which we plug in the USB modem to work as that will be a double expense for me. Budget is around 5k

Or i just go for a good modem right now and wait till we have some good routers out there.

I heard UMG 1831 modem is good, but not able to find lot of sellers for the same, i did check the same on a 3gmodem store website but the pricing was high.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Back