Bring a GPU to life?

SpaceRim

Recruit
I got my hands on a Tesla V100 GPU from a Dell R730 Server. The card was not being detected in the server since January of this year, so after a long wait of months, finally got the card off the server to test it in my home PC. But when I try to boot the PC (with the V100 in it), the debug LED shines on VGA and the computer do not start. Please note I have a dedicated GPU (T600) plugged-in for the video output, but still no avail. The V100 card gets hot so its not like it is dead or something. But I can't figure why the PC wont POST. Any suggestion is welcome.

Configuration:
AMD 3900x 12 core CPU
GSkill 4x32 GB 3200 MHz RAM
X570 AORUS PRO WIFI mobo
T600 GPU for display

Thanks for reading!

Attachments

• 91F5fRsVEOL-_SL1500_-jpg-1279×1500-.jpg
    91F5fRsVEOL-_SL1500_-jpg-1279×1500-.jpg
    338.3 KB · Views: 52
I got my hands on a Tesla V100 GPU from a Dell R730 Server. The card was not being detected in the server since January of this year, so after a long wait of months, finally got the card off the server to test it in my home PC. But when I try to boot the PC (with the V100 in it), the debug LED shines on VGA and the computer do not start. Please note I have a dedicated GPU (T600) plugged-in for the video output, but still no avail. The V100 card gets hot so its not like it is dead or something. But I can't figure why the PC wont POST. Any suggestion is welcome.

Configuration:
AMD 3900x 12 core CPU
GSkill 4x32 GB 3200 MHz RAM
X570 AORUS PRO WIFI mobo
T600 GPU for display

Thanks for reading!
There are many voltage rails on a graphics card, namely 12V, 5V, 3.3V. There can be more. It is likely that one of the rail has developed a short or fully open, which leads to the GPU not getting initialized. Hence the VGA Debug LED. Unless you are experienced in electronics, have all necessary tools like a fine soldering iron, a micrscope, a good multimeter, flux, wick etc, you won't be able to repair the GPU yourself. Only a electronics repair shop can fix it.

Since it's a Gigabyte board, clear CMOS by using a jumper - https://www.amazon.in/Electronicspices-50pcs-Jumper-Circuit-Connectors/dp/B085XF6H11

PC off, power cable disconnected, jumper in for 5 minutes. Reboot and you'll have to redo your BIOS settings, but it should work
I have tried clearing the CMOS, but it doesn't work. The VGA Debug LED is still stays on.

There are many voltage rails on a graphics card, namely 12V, 5V, 3.3V. There can be more. It is likely that one of the rail has developed a short or fully open, which leads to the GPU not getting initialized. Hence the VGA Debug LED. Unless you are experienced in electronics, have all necessary tools like a fine soldering iron, a micrscope, a good multimeter, flux, wick etc, you won't be able to repair the GPU yourself. Only a electronics repair shop can fix it.
Understood, It is very complex. I live in a small town so doubt I can trust the repair shops here. Looks like it has to lay idle in shelf.

Although I never recommend this, since you have nothing to loose, you can try the oven method.

Only follow if you have no other option. DO NOT USE A MICROWAVE, use an oven.

This is only a temporary fix, no guarantees it will work (now or forever). Please take necessary precautions.

Sorry to hijack OP's post, in same situation, have a:
Nvidia M6000 Quadro 24GB, 2016 model retrieved from server.
The GPU gives artifacts while playing games. Wondering whether anything can be done about this, or whether it is worth salvaging.

@enthusiast29
I've zero idea about GPUs, somebody left his heavy gpu with me, since it is server class, its power hungry too.
Was wondering whether its worth repairing considering its from 2016.
Are there trustworthy places where it can be repaired ?

Back