PC Peripherals branded smps

hellfire said:
SL450 for 4800 - Himanshu Jain :crazy:

LOL !! You should have mentioned to him that you dont want the Silver plated version of the PSU :eek:hyeah:

Whats wrong with these Delhi dealers - not enough business I suppose. :huh:

hellfire, wish i could remember the exact price but i got the smartpower 400w for around 3500 + tax on sunday from SMC / himanshu jain. i'm told that's pretty steep.

you should have paid about 3350 at max,the maximum
2700 for powersupply + 10% tax + transportation

for about 700more you could get 450watts

also,which is better sp450 or tp430?

It depends on which smartpower you get.
There are two versions of smartpower available in India and Asia.
SL450 available in International market USA, Europe and also in India( these are unofficial products available a lot cheaper in some places.).

SL450 sold in USA has only 20A on +12v line. This PSU is also available here. at around 3.5-3.9K.

There is another version of SL450 available in ASIA and INDIA.
It has 25Amps on+12V. Just 1 A less than TP430.
But on the other hand it has 40Amps on +5v line, better than 36Amps of TP430.
So people who use lots os pheripherals, FANS, HDDs should go for this rather than TP430.
This is what I have in my main PC.( got it couple of weeks ago.)
It costs a lot more than international version of SL450.
Its around 4.5K +VAT available only in few stores.
So better read the box very carefully before you buy the PSU.
There are too many models, totally confusing when it comes to antec.

I was looking for TP480 but TP series in real short supply and costs fortune.

funkymonkey said:
I was looking for TP480 but TP series in real short supply and costs fortune.
I have a TruePower 480 which I bought about 6 months back the label on it says

12v = 22A
5v = 38A
3.3v = 30A

:wtf:

Has the power handling been boosted in the newer PSU's or has the way they rate the PSU's changed ? Anyone ??

Eazy said:

12v = 22A

5v = 38A

3.3v = 30A

Hey, I bot my PSU sometime in August/September last year and my PSU (TP480) reads:

+12V - 28A

+5V - 38A

+3V - 30A

TheMask said:
Hey, I bot my PSU sometime in August/September last year and my PSU (TP480) reads:
+12V - 28A
+5V - 38A
+3V - 30A

I checked the bill I got mine on 24th Aug 2004 !!! DARNED local Antec dealer took me for a ride ... AGAIN !!!!! :mad:

yep thats the whole confusion about Antec.
They have revised their PSUs so many times.

The new TP480 has 28Amps on +12V.
Also the products which are selling here are different than that of US and Europe for some reason( actiually its better here ;) ).

There are few imports floating around in the market though and you may have got one of those Eazy.

Thats why there is such difference in pricing in different stores( same model ) when it comes to Antec.
I grabbed this Smartpower when i saw 25Amps on +12V and 40Amps on +5V line at mnemonic systems. I knew it was better than TP430 and thats why i bought it and returned my zebronics. As shortly i will be getting DFI board and for that board you need PSU with strong +5V rating as for higher vdimm it uses +5v line.

Eazy said:

12v = 22A
5v = 38A
3.3v = 30A

:wtf:

Has the power handling been boosted in the newer PSU's or has the way they rate the PSU's changed ? Anyone ??

Yeah those were the old standerds.. Even Several 550TP have only 24A on the +12.. But this has changed now.
ALL TP550 come with 30A on +12.

Check newegg ;)

Antec enhanced their TruePower series ratings late last year - much of that may have had to do with the issues people ran into with MSI Neo2 Platinum and ABIT mobos.

You need to look for the Serial # under the barcode on the PSU Box - if it reads D0411XXXXXXX (and later) then you're most probably getting the new ones with more juice, especially, on the +12V rail. 04 is for the year and 11 is for the month. I ditched my Powersafe 400W and bought the TruePower 480W (28 Amps on the 12V rail) as soon as it got here.

Anyways if you're planning to buy a new one, visit the Antec website and check out the individual rail ratings so that you wouldn't get conned. I believe that their website reflects the latest ratings. Even NewEgg was carrying the old ones for a while.

And for those waiting eagerly (???) for the TruePower 2.0 series, looks like it isn't gonna happen within the next months or so in India. I've put in my strong reco, and may be if some of you could do that do, it may help greatly !

Bought a Sonata a few days back. It includes the True Power 380. The sticker on the Smps mentioning the power rating of TP380 says 24A on 12v line. I confirmed this new rating from Antec USA also.

But on the Antec India website, for TP430 the 12V rating is given as 20A. I don't think Antec India site shows the true/updated ratings.

By the way, my Smartpower 350, bought about a year back from Singapore, has only 16A on its 12V line.

Yup, when I wrote refer to the Antec website for latest and updated ratings, I meant the Antec USA website. They were the first ones to list the new ratings. Even folks in Europe appear to have been foisted with the older ones for a while.

JediMaster said:
Antec enhanced their TruePower series ratings late last year - much of that may have had to do with the issues people ran into with MSI Neo2 Platinum and ABIT mobos.

You need to look for the Serial # under the barcode on the PSU Box - if it reads D0411XXXXXXX (and later) then you're most probably getting the new ones with more juice, especially, on the +12V rail. 04 is for the year and 11 is for the month. I ditched my Powersafe 400W and bought the TruePower 480W (28 Amps on the 12V rail) as soon as it got here.

Anyways if you're planning to buy a new one, visit the Antec website and check out the individual rail ratings so that you wouldn't get conned. I believe that their website reflects the latest ratings. Even NewEgg was carrying the old ones for a while.

And for those waiting eagerly (???) for the TruePower 2.0 series, looks like it isn't gonna happen within the next months or so in India. I've put in my strong reco, and may be if some of you could do that do, it may help greatly !

Even Antec USA site is not properly updated.
the Smartpower 450 is still shown as 20A on+12V. But new one carries 25Amps.

Also no need to look at the serial numbers. All details are clearly printed on back of the box.
Here is the scan of the back of the box of my Smartpower 450.
All details are there along with serial no and voltage ratings. thats all you need to see really.
image4po.jpg

funkymonkey said:
Also no need to look at the serial numbers. All details are clearly printed on back of the box.

That liberty is lost when u order by mail! Perhaps I was lucky to get one of the good ones coz i saw the box only when it was delivered to me.

Absolutely Masky ! In my case it saved me a couple of drives to the dealer's shop as I was continuously monitoring when the new ones would arrive. The secy. who usually answers the phone, was more inclined (/trusted) to read off the serial # rather than checking the Amps on the box - in fact until I got the box eventually, I didn't even realize that the numbers were printed on the box. Also, notice that the Amps on the +12V and +3.3V rail are close enough to cause confusion.

If you're on the phone with a pan chewing dealer, and hate the traffic, the serial # info might help - but, obviously, may not be the overriding choice compared to visiting the shop or if you couldn't trust your dealer even to read off the Serial # :p

And as far the SmartPower PSUs, I haven't actually investigated them since I wasn't ever interested in buying one.

yeah, i too was not interested in Smartpower as well bcoz the specifications I saw on the new were pathetic. But when i went to the shop and saw 25Amps I was really surprised myself.
And only things i trust to be home delivered is motherboard, pheripherals and other stuff.
I waited 3 weeks to get the proper batch of my winchester ;)
God bless AMD who put the window above the chip :p
Same goes with RAM and PSU. I never order them on the phone and get it home delivered even when my dealer offers free home delivery. Its always good to ensure stuff yourself. Specially critical components :)

Back