bootable pen drive

sachin1

Disciple
hi guys ,
i had earlier asked that how to make a bootable cd :)
i was successfull in doing so:D (thanx to microsoft)

now i wanna make a bootable pen drive,
how to make it?:S
any software to do so?:huh:

thanx in advance;)

You need to download a boot image/ startup disc image first.... win98 or DOS will do... extract it to a folder , use the above mentioned HP USB drive formatting Utility... use option to make boot disk... point to the folder you extracted the startup image to. it will pick the boot files from the folder and format and make your pendrive bootable...

a good idea will be to copy few dos utlities/external commands (Like format, Smartdrv, xcopy etc) and Aviva NTFS4DOS --> Download install and then go to the folder get your NTFS4DOS.exe where it installed to..

GUYS.......... I HAVE ONE IMAGE XP 64 BIT .
I EXTRACTED IT AND TRIED TO INSTALL THIS XP 64 BIT DIRECTLY THROUGH WINDOWS (XP 32 bit) BECAUSE I WANT TO KEEP 32 BIT AS WELL AS 64 BIT(on different disk partitions).BUT I FAILED .
IT SHOWS -IT IS NOT A VALID WIN32 APPLICATION.
I USUALLY DO THIS WITH XP 32 BIT SP-3 AND WAS SUCCESSFUL IN DOING SO:)
BUT I'M UNSUCCESSFUL THSI TIME .
PLEASE HELP ME GUYS.
THANX

sachin1 said:
GUYS.......... I HAVE ONE IMAGE XP 64 BIT .
I EXTRACTED IT AND TRIED TO INSTALL THIS XP 64 BIT DIRECTLY THROUGH WINDOWS (XP 32 bit) BECAUSE I WANT TO KEEP 32 BIT AS WELL AS 64 BIT(on different disk partitions).BUT I FAILED .
IT SHOWS -IT IS NOT A VALID WIN32 APPLICATION.

You cannot install 64 bit windows on 32 bit windows...
even if you are installing on diffrent partitions ... you have to start from boot from th cd itself and use some 3rd party boot manager to keep 2 versions of XP on the same disc diffrent partitions... diffrent disc will be better option in that case disconnect one drive and install windows from scratch on the other drive.. and then use bios boot time key to select which drive to boot from F12 in my computer...

Some ground rules for x64Env
i) its not really necessary to keep 32 bit OS if you have got same 64bit OS as 64 bit OS will support all your softwares that are native 32 bit... if you get errors like file or DLL not find find the corresponding 32 bit DLL and copy it to windows syswow folder register it thorough regsrv32.exe if needed..
ii) You have only keep one rule in mind if supporting files are 64 bit then the software can be only 64 bit...
iii) If supporting files / library files are 32 bit than the Software can be only 32 bit...
in other words if you have 64bit software all dependencies need to be 64bit.
if 32 bit then dependencies need to be 32 bit you cannot mix the two..
iv) x64 bit has the x86 bit windows files contained in itself .... if you are looking for a particular x86 file look it in %windir%\SysWoW folder... for example you installed 32 bit jre and looking for java control panel icon... look for java.cpl in syswow instead of system32

on example will make it more clear what i mean by not mixing 64 bit dependencies ...
quest's TOAD for Oracle is widely used by database analyst to query network based oracle servers...
now Toad for oracle comes in 32 bit native software only... while oracle comes in both 64 bit and 32 bit .... what classic mistake guys using this do that if they are on 64 bit OS... they install 64 bit oracle / client makes sense since you are using 64 bit OS.. but since toad only comes in 32 bit variant they have to install 32 bit toad... now they cannot connect to oracle databases because toad has a dependency of using oracle client... Since client now is 64 bit they cannot connect to remote databases.... solution is easy intall 32 bit oracle client and it will connect because you cannot mix the depenencies...

Now 64 bit is capable of running all 32 bit binaries but 32 bit OS is not capable of running 64 bit binaries ... that is the reason you get not a valid win32 application when you try to launch 64bit exe in 32 bit OS....

Peace

if you need to make a bootable usb drive my suggestion is - use GOOGLE SEARCH

it gives you options for making boot disks based on linux/windows....

have fun.

sachin1 said:
hey i used this software, but it asks for DOS files located at my computer but i'm only havin the image of the xp 64 bit.
what to do next?:huh:

google for win98 startup disc image ... download it mostly it will be in *.img File extract *.img file with help of some tool say magiciso place extracted files in a FOLDER.. now this FOLDER is what you need to point to while using HP usb Utility...

Peace

fail : the guys who say it should be less than 4 gb ... you can do it with pendrives till 16 gb , 32 gb did not work for me though :d

Back