Blackberry Playbook - worth buying?

yuvi161292

Disciple
I was thinking of buying the Blackberry playbook 64GB - 18k

I was thinking of booting android using the dingleberry thing and using it for watching late night movies , browsing and small games

My question is - Is worth buying? and will it satisfy my needs mentioned above?

Thanks for the help

Dingleberry thing only roots the playbook. You cannot boot android.

For movies, browsing and games, Playbook 2.0 suffice. It even plays 1080p vidoes.

I normally like to watch sitcoms portably

So i can load them to the playbook via pc and then watch them right?

Hows the battery life?

Also does it have internet connectivity via usb dongle?

I personally don't own playbook.. Based on my knowledge, i would say 1080p and other videos plays exceptionally good..

You can load then via PC. Battery life should be around 7 hours.. But if you watch 1080p vids don't expect it to last very long..

How about internet connectivity via usb dongle?

Anyway not a necessity so i bought i Blackberry playbook 64gb from letsbuy for 18k should arrive in 2-4 days

thanks everyone for all the help

USB dongle is not supported, it only has a microUSB v2.0 slot. There are workarounds to support USB on the go, but on a rooted Playbook only (which is not 100% working).

1) Movies: Yes, plays AVI, MP4 (will throw unsupproted errors for MKV and unsupproted audio files); the bundled video player is BASIC and no Android video player App runs properly

2) Browsing: Good device for browsing, however, not many streaming sites are supported. Youtube (720p) works great though.

3) Games: Great for board games, not so good for FPS, Third person shooter, racing, etc. (My friend races well though compared to me)

4) Battery life: Excellent, 7-8 hours even with watching movies in the entire time span (but disable the Wifi; Wifi drains the power quickly)

5) Ebook / comics: Excellent for reading (the basic PDF reader from Adobe sucks, try Repligo, an Android App)

Thanks alot man for all the info , as i said i ordered it and looking forward to use it

Just one more thing should i root it and try the whole android thing on it , is it stable and useful?

What about apps? I heard that with new OS update it'll support android apps?

So in that case there comes a question of compatibility of apps like hd games.

And as far as I saw the reviews and videos it says skype doesn't support video calling in playbook and its almost useless without that bkackberry bridge thing.

So what are your views?

Sent from my LG-P500 using Tapatalk 2 Beta-5

Thanks alot man for all the info , as i said i ordered it and looking forward to use it

Just one more thing should i root it and try the whole android thing on it , is it stable and useful?

Rooting is not required to get the Android apps. The new Playbook OS2.0 has an inbuilt android player, which can seamlessly load a lot of non-native Android files. Every day devs are porting their Android apps for PB. On last count I think, the Playbook market place has around 70,000 apps. Only glitch is the quality of these apps, which is another topic though.

What about apps? I heard that with new OS update it'll support android apps?

So in that case there comes a question of compatibility of apps like hd games.

And as far as I saw the reviews and videos it says skype doesn't support video calling in playbook and its almost useless without that bkackberry bridge thing.

So what are your views?

Sent from my LG-P500 using Tapatalk 2 Beta-5

The new OS, which is PB OS2.0 supports an Android player. Most of the converted Android apps run seamlessly on PB. Skype doesn't have any native app for PB yet (and the converted Android app is half-baked), but video calling is indeed possible through workarounds. I have used this to http://www.aol.com/av/ video chat on PB and Desktop, and it worked fine for my liking. Also, PB to PB video chat is as easy as typing the other person's email ID/ screen name.

Again, it all boils down to requirement. Good-e-reader has a big library of tested Android files that work on PB 2.0. http://goodereader.com/apps/

If you watch movies, play games, browse internet, take notes etc ALL AT THE SAME TIME, then this is for you. What I mean to say is, the multitasking is just beautiful! I use it to read something and make notes. Play a little time-pass games, even FPS and racing aint too hard to master. Apps are less, but I guess you can always find an app you need from the android stable. I think the only thing that doesnt work well is video calls using Skype. Hopefully that gets fixed
<

It fits my needs perfectly, I needed multitasking as good as a computer and PB does it and does it well. Not without its faults, but I guess I can live with those faults.

Back