CPU/Mobo BIOS updates for Intel motherboards

I want to know that when we flash or upgrade BIOS, should it be a rolling upgrade or what?

Like I have Asus P5QC MoBo and its current BIOS version that is running on my system is 1406 while on the site, the latest BIOS version is 2103. i want to know that, can I update my BIOS directly from 1406 to 2103 or do i have to do a rolling upgrade thus flashing subsequent BIOS version from 1406 to 2103 like in this manner 1406->1613->1702->1806->2002->2103 :huh:

Ryunosuke said:
I want to know that when we flash or upgrade BIOS, should it be a rolling upgrade or what?
Like I have Asus P5QC MoBo and its current BIOS version that is running on my system is 1406 while on the site, the latest BIOS version is 2103. i want to know that, can I update my BIOS directly from 1406 to 2103 or do i have to do a rolling upgrade thus flashing subsequent BIOS version from 1406 to 2103 like in this manner 1406->1613->1702->1806->2002->2103 :huh:

you can go from any version to any other version. its an upgrade, not an update :)

OK thanks for clearing it up. :cool2:

Now the second issue, the BIOS Flashing utility for my MoBo is AFUDOS, a DOS based utility. The second option is the EZ Flash utility present in the BIOS itself. Both require a Floppy drive and I have none so what to do now, any workaround?

Offtopic: This might be a nooby question but I've a dual-boot system with Fedora and Vista. The AFUDOS flashing procedure requires to boot into DOS. I have not installed DOS explicitly then how to get down to DOS? :ashamed:

work via EZ flash utility.

just format usb drive with fat/fat32.. copy the bios file over it.

start EZ flash utility and it will be self explanatory if it supports usb.

also if that does not work... see if any 'usb' emulation option is there in bios around other usb options.

Also you can try any upgrading utility present in the motherboard driver disk.. or just look up the manufacturer's page for the same if supported for your board. Asus Downloads

I downloaded the ASUS Update tool from the site, the motherboard disk didn't had any. Downloaded the BIOS update separately and Flashed it from the windows itself. :clap:The EZ Flash utility, allows to Flash BIOS from a USB drive, CD/DVD drive and Floppy too. :hap2:

Now one thing I noticed, if my HDDs are configured AS IDE disks and working in Enhanced mode, I get option at Boot priority screen for booting from a USB drive , Boot from LAN card (PXE Boot ROM), in addition to HDD and DVD booting option BUT if I switch my HDD mode to AHCI, I get only 3 boot options, FDD,HDD and DVD Drive. Moreover when i try to boot in AHCI mode, Vista keeps giving BSOD and doesn't boots. That i figured out was due non-availability of AHCI drivers for them. In order to get my drives fully functioning in AHCI mode I'll have to install OS on them when they r operating in AHCI mode. This is not the troubling part but the issue that now under AHCI mode, Removable drive and LAN booting option is not shown anymore. :( Is this a normal thing (I seriously doubt it) or some anomaly that can be fixed?

New BIOS for Biostar X58 has been released. It has eliminated all/any issues with USB devices where the error "USB device not recognised" pops up when any USB device was attached.

Please note that its a Beta Bios but certainly stable than any other BIOS for this particular motherboard :)

Link : Biostar X58 Beta BIOS IX58A825

Back