User Guides Bios Mod: 8800GT to 9800GT

Attention

* In case you screw up your card, I am in no way responsible, you do this at your own risk... I'm just spreading the word ;)
* Backup your original VGA bios with BIOS utilities such as NiBiTor, before attempting to flash your card

Guide to flashing your nVIDIA GPU Bios

1) Create a bootable floppy disk or a bootable USB stick (instructions below)

2) Download the latest version of nvFlash v5.67. Extract and copy nvFlash.exe and cwsdpmi.exe onto the floppy/ USB stick

3) Download the 9800GT bios files from MVKTECH.NET (Thanks to 'ginko' uploaded the file.) and copy the *.rom file to the floppy/ USB stick

4) Boot the computer from floppy in bios. After the floppy disk has loaded, type “a:/nvflash -5 -6 9800GT.rom" without quotes, and press enter.

5) Follow the program and press ‘y’ whenever asked

6) You're done, your card now has been modded...

- You can either use the above eVGA 9800GT SC Bios... or download my modded version (attached below)

- The modded version includes the '8800GT Bios V-Mod' (1.1v instead of 1.05v) and modified clock speeds of 700/1728/1000. I've also increased the fan speed to 60%...

- I've flashed my eVGA 8800GT KO Edition successfully. Have tried a few games including PES 2008, Crysis and Grid.

- So far there haven't been any big differences... So it's just bragging right's... no performance increases...

- However, it atleast proves that the 9800GT or atleast some 9800GT's are indeed re-badged 8800GT's... :bleh:

Creating A Bootable USB Stick

1) Download the HP USB Boot Disk Creator and Win98 Startup Disk Files

2) Extract the startup disk files boot files to a folder of your choice

3) Run the HPUSBFW program. Select the correct USB device from the drop-down menu, set file system to FAT32 and check Create a DOS startup disk.

4) Browse for the extracted boot files (now in the folder of your choice) and press start to begin formatting it.

4) You're Done!

Creating a Bootable BLINDFLASH USB Stick/ Floppy

Note: Usually when the VGA bios gets screwed... either you'll get no display or graphical corruption. In that case, you can use a Blind Flash disk. A Blind Flash Disk is a MS-DOS startup disk which can automatically restore the original VGA bios...

1) Create a Bootable Floppy or a USB Stick (as shown above)

2) Download the latest version of nvFlash v5.67. Extract and copy nvFlash.exe and cwsdpmi.exe onto the floppy/ USB stick

3) Backup your original VGA bios with NiBiTor and save the bios as 8800GT.ROM

4) Copy the 8800GT.ROM onto the floppy/ USB stick

5) Download the Autoexec.zip from below. Extract and copy Autoexec.zip onto the floppy/ USB stick

6) You're Done!

Attachments

• 9800GT.zip
    39.4 KB · Views: 329
  • Autoexec.zip
    182 bytes · Views: 277
BackToExistence said:
arree lovely!!!.. Amarbir.. u just woke the jaanwar in me.. off i go to mod !!!

Yup ,
You Just Have To Pay for the Freight For Sending and Getting The Card From Me I will Handle The rest .:p

^^^yes you can use USB stick instead of floppy, same thing....also i will suggest guyz not to use Neville's modded bios, since it has higher clocks. First check whether your card is stable at those clocks, if it is then ofcourse you can go ahead and use the modified bios.

I shall edit the post over the weekend... and add a section on creating a blindflash disk in case anyone screws up... :cool2:

The blindflash disk can be created on a pen drive, CD or floppy... in general terms it is a MS-DOS startup disk which can automatically flash the VGA bios - incase of screw ups...
@Banik: Any 8800GT will handle those clocks coz the card's gettin extra voltage... :p

As for the increase in temps... I've increased the default fan speed to 60%... :D

Yet just to be on the safe side... check if the card is stable at 700/1728/1000 speeds... ;)

H@cKer said:
because every where u spread ur marketing :bleh: :bleh:

Hey Marketing Means i Am Making Money Right ,I am a Electronic Freak And Love to Do electronics As a Hobby Also ,That The Reason i Said I Could Help Cos i Have a VP-980 Programmer And a PLCC Adpater For The Same So Incase The Bootblock of the EPROM is Screwed i Could Help ,Am i Asking For Money Am I :mad:

Note :But i am Not Tata And Birla Hence If I Do this For Free you Pay the Courier Charges For Both Ways :bleh:

Hey Marketing Means i Am Making Money Right ,I am a Electronic Freak And Love to Do electronics As a Hobby Also ,That The Reason i Said I Could Help Cos i Have a VP-980 Programmer And a PLCC Adpater For The Same So Incase The Bootblock of the EPROM is Screwed i Could Help ,Am i Asking For Money Am I :mad:

Note :But i am Not Tata And Birla Hence If I Do this For Free you Pay the Courier Charges For Both Ways :bleh:

Now that i like :) Nice offer Amarbir sir, and I am sure people on the forum appreciate this :)

Hi ,
For The Once Who Have Screwed Up ,I Could Do The Replacement of The BIOS @ Nominal charges .

sure u r:eek:hyeah: :eek:hyeah:

NeViLLe said:
I shall edit the post over the weekend... and add a section on creating a blindflash disk in case anyone screws up... :cool2:

The blindflash disk can be created on a pen drive, CD or floppy... in general terms it is a MS-DOS startup disk which can automatically flash the VGA bios - incase of screw ups...
@Banik: Any 8800GT will handle those clocks coz the card's gettin extra voltage... :p

As for the increase in temps... I've increased the default fan speed to 60%... :D

Yet just to be on the safe side... check if the card is stable at 700/1728/1000 speeds... ;)

hey dude thanks for the bios waiting for ur blindflash disk as I dont have floppy drive.

techie_007 said:
Now that i like :) Nice offer Amarbir sir, and I am sure people on the forum appreciate this :)

Thanks,
Hey I also Request All The Youngsters To Start Intense Modding and Patching discussions ,I will Try To Assist Where ever I Can

Back