Best war movies/series in your opinion?

Clayfire

Disciple
I love war movies. Unlike F&F 8 or whatever new one comes out, they actually have some real action and less *unnecessary drama*. Here is my top 5 list:
1 - Saving Private Ryan
2 - TOP GUN!!
3 - Blackhawk Down
4 - Border (1996)
5 - Inglorious Bastards

Band of brothers (miniseries by HBO)
Tears of the sun
Jarhead
The hurt locker
Master and commander (a bit different but I loved it)

Behind Enemy Lines (Owen Wilson)
Fury (Brad Pitt)

If you like sniping:
Enemy at the Gates (fictionalized account of the true story of Vasilii Zaitsev, a Soviet sniper who won fame during the battle of Stalingrad).
American Sniper (The film follows the life of Kyle, who became the deadliest marksman in U.S. military history with 255 kills from four tours in the Iraq War).
The Wall (psychological warfare, a sniper plays with the life of a couple American soldiers).

Edit:
My all time favorite - Valkyrie (Tom Cruise - A dramatization of the July 20, 1944 assassination and political coup plot by desperate renegade German Army officers against Adolf Hitler during World War)

Last edited:
I love war movies. Unlike F&F 8 or whatever new one comes out, they actually have some real action and less *unnecessary drama*. Here is my top 5 list:
1 - Saving Private Ryan
2 - TOP GUN!!
3 - Blackhawk Down
4 - Border (1996)
5 - Inglorious Bastards
Do see Maverick if you can. It's a fantastic sequel to Top Gun

The difference being the actors actually had to fly in the jets and endure real G forces whereas in Top Gun no actor ever flies in a plane :)

Last edited:
I don't like war movies that much, but these are great.... Inglorious Bastards, 1917, Fury, Apocalypse now.
For a slightly different variation of typical war movies- Red Cliff, 300, The Last Samurai.
If it is about just "war", there is nothing that can beat LOTR The Two Towers, in my opinion.

The difference being the actors actually had to fly in the jets and endure real G forces whereas in Top Gun no actor ever flies in a plane :)
Well well well....
In Maverick (as well as Top Gun 1) the aircraft scenes were shot inside the flying planes. They flew the back seat of F18 (actually Boeing F/A 18F Super Hornet) in Maverick and F14 Tomcat in the original Top Gun.
They didn't pilot the planes, but for sure flew in them.

Navy movies:
Das Boot
Run Silent Run Deep
U-571
Greyhound

Air Force movies:
Battle of Britain
Fail Safe
Dr. Strangelove
Midway

Tank movies:
Fury
White Tiger (soviet file I watched on Youtube, maybe MOSFilm channel)

Army movies:
Paths of Glory
All Quiet on the Western Front
Hacksaw Ridge
Dunkirk
The Great Escape
Von Ryan's Express

Sci-Fi
Independence Day
Starship Troopers

Alt war movies:
Come and See