Best Tablet For Watching Movies ?

That's my original choice too....right now I am stuck between Galaxy Tab 2 and the recently lauinched Spice Stellar Pad Mi1010. Waiting for some favourable reviews for the Stellar Pad and I might go for it !
Tab 2 does not allow a HDMI cable. But it has a micro sd slot.

Tab 2 is slower than the Tab 1 which does not have a micro sd slot but allows HDMI playback.

Very annoying limitations samsung has imposed there :(

Note that this was with the 10.1 inch models, i did not bother with 7 inchers.

- - - Updated - - -

Using the OTG cable one can connect to a Photon Stick if on the move, else Wi-Fi..and the tablet experience are solid. Ships JB out of the cardboard. Seems nice. What you all think....!!
Where did you read you can use photon with it ?

USD $372USD $253

At Rs.14k the prices have dropped sharply since.

Tab 2 does not allow a HDMI cable. But it has a micro sd slot.

Tab 2 is slower than the Tab 1 which does not have a micro sd slot but allows HDMI playback.

Very annoying limitations samsung has imposed there :(

Note that this was with the 10.1 inch models, i did not bother with 7 inchers.

I am looking for 10.1 inch model too.

Tab 2 is slower than Tab 1 ?????:unsure:

In what respect can you please elaborate ? Is Tab 2 good enough for watching HD Videos without stutter ?

-

In what respect can you please elaborate ? Is Tab 2 good enough for watching HD Videos without stutter ?
Tab 1 went for Rs.32 k, tab2 is 25k

Something has been swapped out.

Was going on what i read on XDA-developers about it.

What quality are your HD videos ?

dual core can handle 720p rips. I'm not sure about 1080p rips.

The other thing is if the video is encoded with a dts audio codec then there wil be a performance hit even on a quadcore.

As dts is not natively supported and requires a software codec.

I am looking for 10.1 inch model too.

-

I have both 7 and 10 incher galaxy tab 2 and both can play 1080p videos in any format butterly smooth. no need for conversion.
And by no means its slower. Comparable to any dual cores tablets out there.

I have both 7 and 10 incher galaxy tab 2 and both can play 1080p videos in any format butterly smooth. no need for conversion.
And by no means its slower. Comparable to any dual cores tablets out there.

Thanks for the clarification.....since you own the Tab 2....Is it possible to connect a Pen drive to the Tab 2 10.1 using OTG Cable ?

I need to know this before making purchase !!!

Thanks for the clarification.....since you own the Tab 2....Is it possible to connect a Pen drive to the Tab 2 10.1 using OTG Cable ?

Yes this is possible, you won't get an OTG cable with samsung, they will sell you a couple of adapters, which can take your thumb drive and another for SD cards, they are pricey though, Rs.1.4 k for both, might be able to get a 10% discount. There is no OTG possibility with Samsung because its not a proper USB slot on the tab, you just get an adapter which can handle low power devices, usb thumb drives, game controllers, keyboard but no 3 g modem.

There are cheaper generic cables for Samsung available abroad, in India MX electronics does cheap ones for Apple but not yet for Samsung. I'd stick a 64GB micro sdxc card in the tab and not have anything dangling out.

Bear in mind you have no possibility of attaching your tab2 to a HD tv via HDMI. A Rs.6k funbook can do this but no, samsung in their infinite wisdom decided tab2 will not do it (!)

If anyone claims otherwise ask them to prove it to you.

Ya as blr_p said u have to buy adapter and then attatch pendrive to that adapter like this
Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 playing full HD video from USB stick - YouTube
Plus point of tab 2 10.1 is its voice calling capability . I know one might not use it but its quite a good feature to have.

I was reading review for Nexus 7 since I'm in thoughts of getting one and it says it does not supports divx formats i guess Mobo or Dice player handles them right ?

I was reading review for Nexus 7 since I'm in thoughts of getting one and it says it does not supports divx formats i guess Mobo or Dice player handles them right ?

Those codecs might not be supported natively by the tablet but you can always resort to apps like MX Player (by far the most popular video playback app), Rock Player, VLC apart from the ones you've mentioned. Those apps can handle pretty much any format you can manage to throw at them.

You can easily buy a mini usb OTG cable on ebay for Rs.100 odd and use an application called Nexus Media Importer to read files from any normal USB thumb drives. Its available on google play store. I didn't knew about this before purchasing my iPad and gave the nexus 10 a slip. I am regretting getting the iPad now.

I find the Nexus 7 with MX Player to be the best for a number of reasons
- great screen
- decent loudspeaker
- You also get the most capable tablet in terms of software with guarantee of getting atleast the next two android versions

The competition is either expensive or lacking in support. Good luck getting even a point upgrade for any of the cheap rebranded chinese junk

Back