Best internet providers in Kolkata?

vlad03

Recruit
What do you guys use?

I have an alliance broadband plan (100 Mbps for like 800 a month). Our local operator is very shitty, internet likes to go away at moments when we need it the most. Jio, Airtel have not laid cables in our area because apparently there is no demand for broadband in my neighbourhood.

Yes, exactly. Exact location is needed to be known. I live in a small town adjacent to Kolkata and I used Alliance for 2 years. The LCO in charge is a lowlife, so the experience was likewise. I never knew that a wired broadband connection could be that inconsistent. Internet was there a minute, next minute, no. Finally my luck cracked out and their ONT device stopped working. Didn't know what a blessing it was at that time. I almost begged the LCO to provide me a replacement ONT, but he kept pushing for 2500 rupees for it. It felt unprincipled to me, so I started looking for alternatives. Found Hathway broadband, this is in 2020's second half. Since then absolutely no complaints. 24x7 connection. If it goes out usually there's a notification few hours prior. In late 2021, Jio and Airtel also started their service here and first month trial was free (I guess trials are free anyway lol), so I tried both of them for a month. Airtel's speed was excellent, more than advertised, but latency was shite to European, Singaporean and sometimes even to Mumbai servers (I play CS Go), so despite my intention of staying with them I simply couldn't. Then it was Jio's time. Their latency was fine, on par with Hathway's, but they throttled torrents, rather heavily at times, so couldn't stay with them either. Back to Hathway now, but I hear that Airtel latency issues are somewhat solved, so I plan to move back to them soon.

There's no ISP in India which provides quality seeding, whereby you can access international websites at same speed as advertised speed of the ISP. Both Airtel and Jio are good at the moment, Jio just throttles torrents from my experience, Airtel doesn't.

PS: Whatever happens stay away from those shitty, lowlife LCOs. They will make your life hell.

Yes, exactly. Exact location is needed to be known. I live in a small town adjacent to Kolkata and I used Alliance for 2 years. The LCO in charge is a lowlife, so the experience was likewise. I never knew that a wired broadband connection could be that inconsistent. Internet was there a minute, next minute, no. Finally my luck cracked out and their ONT device stopped working. Didn't know what a blessing it was at that time. I almost begged the LCO to provide me a replacement ONT, but he kept pushing for 2500 rupees for it. It felt unprincipled to me, so I started looking for alternatives. Found Hathway broadband, this is in 2020's second half. Since then absolutely no complaints. 24x7 connection. If it goes out usually there's a notification few hours prior. In late 2021, Jio and Airtel also started their service here and first month trial was free (I guess trials are free anyway lol), so I tried both of them for a month. Airtel's speed was excellent, more than advertised, but latency was shite to European, Singaporean and sometimes even to Mumbai servers (I play CS Go), so despite my intention of staying with them I simply couldn't. Then it was Jio's time. Their latency was fine, on par with Hathway's, but they throttled torrents, rather heavily at times, so couldn't stay with them either. Back to Hathway now, but I hear that Airtel latency issues are somewhat solved, so I plan to move back to them soon.

There's no ISP in India which provides quality seeding, whereby you can access international websites at same speed as advertised speed of the ISP. Both Airtel and Jio are good at the moment, Jio just throttles torrents from my experience, Airtel doesn't.

PS: Whatever happens stay away from those shitty, lowlife LCOs. They will make your life hell.
Our CO is a guy we know personally. He really cannot do anything which is in his own grip since the main supply of wiring comes all the way from Ballygunge. Maintenance work always happens at busy hours, which is annoying. 1 out of 3 times the internet got disconnected because of more repair work. Having optic fibre above ground is the screwed up part.

What do you guys use?

I have an alliance broadband plan (100 Mbps for like 800 a month). Our local operator is very shitty, internet likes to go away at moments when we need it the most. Jio, Airtel have not laid cables in our area because apparently there is no demand for broadband in my neighbourhood.
you dont have jio fiber in your area?

have used airtel fiber and jio fiber and i must say both are really good, airtel is a little better for gaming just because it offers lower latency, but jio has its own benefits too.

You're so right. I had taken a local broadband and it's service was so pathetic. Every 30mins or so the internet would go away for a brief moment which would lead to disconnection of work vpn. It was so irritating especially when I was in middle of something important. Switched to Airtel and honestly my quality of life has improved. Lol

Alliance is upgrading their infra, may be in a couuple of months they will improve their service in Kolkata and nearby.

Back