Best DIGICAM under 9k!!

arnov

Adept
Hey guys please recommend me a Good Digital Camera for the following requirement:
1. 4/5/6 MP Camera
2. Should have provision for SD/MMC (i.e., Affordable Memory Cards).
3. Good Optical Zoom.
4. User Friendly software.
5. Free Battery Charger if possible bundled with it.
My friend would be getting this for his brother who is studying in NIFT Mumbai.

Arnov,
Well, stay with Canon and Panasonic and u wont go wrong. i have used Pentax, Canon, HP and Yashica. Currently using mini-dv for camera as well as photography. The mini-dv has both, with 1.3 megapixels for camera.For a dedicated camera i use a Canon S1 with 10x zoom.It is a beauty.The Canon S2 has Stereo Audio and everything else is the same.
For portability, i use HP M series digital camera as they fit nicely into a shirt pocket.The HP takes beautiful pics when u see it in playback and print even though the LCD shows it a little darker.(Hp will fix it some-day).
The following bare-minimum is needed in a pro-sumer camera.
-3x optical
- image stabiliser (if optical zoom greater than 6x)
- SD Card preferable to keep a small footprint and light weight
- a good 2.5 inch or greater crystal clear LCD
-Most usually come with a battery charger and cable and Proprietery software
- built-in flash
- and your budget.

IMO, stay away from SONY digital, just because of higher SONY stick prices etc, but their cameras are nice too!.
thanks,
baksharp.

Under 10k go for the best optical zoom Kodak you can get. Easy to use, limited configuration options(this is better for the average user imo), consistently adequate picture clarity.

Featurewise they will be cheaper than any other brand and pretty easily available. I think a Z7590 might be squeezed into your budget though you will have to spend extra to get a memory card.

^^Kodak = $hit rolled into a cam. Get a canon powershot A530 in grey. Enuf said :p. The cheapo sony W50 is not bad either.

I too was thinking of Canon Powershot A530 specially wiyh its 4x Optical Zoom as compared to 3x Optical Zoom offered by others. In case anybody is using it, please describe you level of satisfaction with it.

arnov said:
I too was thinking of Canon Powershot A530 specially wiyh its 4x Optical Zoom as compared to 3x Optical Zoom offered by others. In case anybody is using it, please describe you level of satisfaction with it.

I have a Canon PowerShot A530. I bought it from US (cost me approx $140). I am highly satisfied, comparing it to other cameras in the same range, like Kodak 550 (dont remember the model exactly), the A530 is miles ahead in terms of quality. Plus you get so many photo modes and 4x optical zoom, which no other camera offers in that price range. I will give you some samples taken with different photo modes by me around my house:

A530 is the best buy in the low cost cameras... Nothing else gives you similar photo quality as that cam in the price range. About photo modes, I'd give most of them a pass... other than AV, P and M the rest are crap.

Canon A530, without a doubt....and definitely stay away from the Kodaks as Chaos has already said....

About photo modes, I'd give most of them a pass... other than AV, P and M the rest are crap.

yes, but there's one purpose they serve, which is if you want a quick shot where the photo-op would be lost within secs (and that happens very often), the right photo mode serves as a quick shortcut to the right settings which would otherwise take at least a few seconds to be setup in the Manual mode....

The resulting pic may not be as great as what it could have been under the right manual settings , but will be a lot better than what the standard Auto mode would have got!

superczar said:
Canon A530, without a doubt....and definitely stay away from the Kodaks as Chaos has already said....

yes, but there's one purpose they serve, which is if you want a quick shot where the photo-op would be lost within secs (and that happens very often), the right photo mode serves as a quick shortcut to the right settings which would otherwise take at least a few seconds to be setup in the Manual mode....

The resulting pic may not be as great as what it could have been under the right manual settings , but will be a lot better than what the standard Auto mode would have got!

Thats exactly the reason why shutter priority (Tv) exists on most cams ;). For sports photography, Tv at times is really useful. For birding when the critters are in flight, I use P. The the thing i've noticed about the programmed modes on my 350D (P, landscape, portrait, low light and all the others) is that they tend to always bring the f-number to the lowest possible for the particular lens. While this is nice when its really dark, in most cases all this ends up achieving is a very shallow depth of field and if the lens is in AF, its really easy to miss focus. Also all lenses are softer wide open than stopped down.

For around 10k's u'd get a camera that can take these pics :

Its with a Kodak C643 camera .. 6.1MP , 3x optical , loads of presets and some manual adjustments too .. plus a 256 MB card bundled .. and the viewfinder LCD is big :D ..

Back