Best 3G Modem

So, If I dont have a 3G supporting phone , or unable to make sense of which modem to get , will BSNL provide me a 3G modem or some device...I don't understand a word here.. Compatibility ? :chair:

^ you will still get normal gprs of 144Kbps if your phone has that. if you want those blazing 2MBps speeds, then you need to buy your own unlocked modem from ebay or if you go to BSNL center you will need to take their 6month or 1 year plan where they give BSNL locked usb modem.

tata has some plans where they give a discount on new compatible mobiles too. Have a look on their site. http://www.tatadocomo.com/devices.aspx

For anyone looking to jump on the 3G bandwagon... few things you need to know

1) The speeds are not always great. Don't get this if you expect Fixed Line consistency in speeds. Transfer speeds can go up as high as 300 KB/s (very rare) to as low as 70 KB/s. All this greatly depends on location and tower traffic.
2) No Port Forwarding (uPnP / Manual): I'm assuming most of you are going to get this for torrents. You can't assign ANY listening ports to your BT Client as BSNL has firewalled the connection from their side and you are on a subnet using and sharing the same External IP. What this means is that unless you are downloading content that has lots of seeds on an open tracker, you are going to find it very hard to connect to peers, let alone get good speeds.

^ thanks for clearing that up. i knew it would be useless for torrents. torrents usually saturate even landline connections so no way the gsm providers will allow those. If i'm not wrong, I think its best for those on bsnl 500 combo plan. For 95 bucks you get 6GB of browsing for sites or to download from megaupload etc, plus you get additional 1.5Gb of data transfer from the combo plan which can be used to seed torrents if required or download files.

I use torrents from private trackers and I get really good speeds on BSNL 3G, easily 3mbps ~ 350 kB+ most of the time. Never faced any issues with the ports being blocked.

No Ports blocked? That's impossible unless BSNL works with a different network configuration in Chennai / Cochin (judging by your location)

Your speeds are fantastic though. Let's continue this discussion in another thread dedicated to BSNL 3G & Torrents.

hash said:
Pretty annoying, first i've gotta spend 2-3 k on modem and then pay BSNL 1.4k every month. :(
really, they are giving the only unlimited connection in india, others are plague with FUP.
If you are in a big city you will get around 3Mbps speed. Airtel charges more than 2K for 2mbps unlimited( with FUP)
when i was in raipur, i gor good speed , but as my town is very small i get less speed.
Plus the freedom of portability.

SO no, the charges are good. you should not comment on that.

I'm not sure how things work at BSNL and whether ports are blocked or not, but I have been getting consistently decent download speeds in the range of 200kBps and above when using torrents from Demonoid. I'm using my mobile as a modem right now, but with a separate USB modem, I'm sure the speeds will be the same or better than this.

Satan said:
No Ports blocked? That's impossible unless BSNL works with a different network configuration in Chennai / Cochin (judging by your location)

Your speeds are fantastic though. Let's continue this discussion in another thread dedicated to BSNL 3G & Torrents.
The ports are blocked and they allot a shared 10.x.x.x IP. But what I meant was, even though the ports are blocked, I get really good speeds on private trackers.

got the docomo sim. getting full 5 bars signal on top of my computer. so seems like i don't need to get an antenna now.
only need to get a usb modem now. thinking of getting the umg181 from ebay. the seller told he will give 1 yr dealer warranty and bill.

need to clear up one thing - full signal strength = good signal for UMTS/Edge right? I'll get around 2Mbps speeds right? cannot check right now as sim is not yet activated. :(

^ 2G. My phone is not 3G capable. But plus point is the docomo cell tower is just a few buildings away from my window. :)

I noticed the E122 does not have voice call. Plus it has just 6 months dealer warranty compared to the 1yr the other seller is offering on the UMG181 (which seems a lot better in features to the E122).

Wouldn't a newer modem be better considering in a few years the operators will increase the speeds to 7MBps or more if 4G comes, from the 3 they are now offering?

^ On BSNL, in some areas I get full 2G signals but 3G signals are much less. So confirm whether you are getting proper 3G Signals.

In some ebay listings its mentioned that E122 is having voice facility but haven't tried it.

Both E122 and UMG181 support max 7.2mbps. Also I saw this Huawei K4505 21.6 Mbps modem for 4.5k, may you can try that too.

varkey said:
^ On BSNL, in some areas I get full 2G signals but 3G signals are much less. So confirm whether you are getting proper 3G Signals.

In some ebay listings its mentioned that E122 is having voice facility but haven't tried it.

Both E122 and UMG181 support max 7.2mbps. Also I saw this Huawei K4505 21.6 Mbps modem for 4.5k, may you can try that too.
is this gprs signal? see attachment...

[attachment=6640:12170.attach]

on my phone the gprs shows up as inverted bars to the 2g signal and they are full as seen in the image. i can see an earth icon if i try to connect to the net, but i get an error to check settings.

do i need to subscribe to gprs pack to browse the net? weird...

How about this model. Searched if it has support for external antenna if required but could not find any info.

E1752: http://cgi.ebay.in/3G-USB-MODEM-HUAWEI-E1752-SALE-LIMITED-STOCK-/220692153429?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_203&hash=item3362470455

i was thinking of buying the E122 and saving money, and seems its sold out. :O

Attachments

• gprs.gif
    gprs.gif
    672 bytes · Views: 228
i dont really care about 21mbps DLspeed, but does K4505 compare to the e176 in terms of signal strength. also the external antenna jack?

LOL K4505 is way way better than E176 and 28.8 Mbps ready with future firmwares and it surely will have dual receive MIMO antennas to be compatible with HSPA+. So better signal and speeds are more or less guaranteed.

And if you have 4.5k budget you should care abt it as all networks in India will be HSPA+ 21.1 Mbps compatible right at lauch at least in the big cities, towns and metros.

the thing is . even if HSPA+ come s then also there wont be a unlimited plan that offer 21.1mbps spped,.. will there?

i am not that greedy...3.1 will do for me ..

but BSNL 3g signal at my home is at rock bottom ...the bsnl datacard+external antenna even cant help me.. thats why i want the best i dont mind the initial cost, just want the best signal strength with bsnl 3g. so will this k4501 provide better signal strength than the e176 when used with current BSNL 3g. Also i dont see a external antenna jack

Back