Bent cpu pins.

For future reference, I recently found out that not all mobos 19 pin usb 3 front panel header has same orientation so check carefully which side is missing the 1 pin because that corresponding position on usb 3 header plug from front panel will not have a hole for pin to insert & trying to forcefully insert into wrong orientation will break that pin.
That's exactly what happened to me.

The header is side-mounted on my mobo and the pins are hard to see. While inserting the connector, the orientation was slightly off and the pins bent.

if the pin has come of clean i.e. right from the base than just straighten it just drop the pin in the correct pinhole mount the processor and test it
another option is to get a donor CPU and solder the PIN as per the video

there is a post where in salman is selling a a320 and 200g processor .you can get 200 g proc use it as donor cpu . than again flip it as donor CPu to people who are in the same boat

Last edited:
if the pin has come of clean i.e. right from the base than just straighten it just drop the pin in the correct pinhole mount the processor and test it
another option is to get a donor CPU and solder the PIN as per the video

there is a post where in salman is selling a a320 and 200g processor .you can get 200 g proc use it as donor cpu . than again flip it as donor CPu to people who are in the same boat

Thanks for the solid advice. I just took it out again. Could you take a look at it and tell if the first method is feasible?

Attachments

• IMG_20240220_200707~2.jpg
    IMG_20240220_200707~2.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 46
I dealt with this thing once during the almighty P4 era where the processor pin was broken. Literally somehow soldered the point with a normal paper pin and latched into the socket and never removed it. Worked like a charm for a few yrs and then the combo was also sold as is aka without removing the proccy from the socket.
So yes jugaad works but should be near to perfection else there's always a danger and risk of damaging or soldering surrounding pins in one bond rendering the proccy totally useless.
probably this would be your solution

I tried dropping the pin in the socket and then installing the processor. It worked perfectly fine yesterday. The pc ran for about 4 hours. Even did an AIDA stress test for about 20 mins(max temp 80C). I couldn't believe my eyes. But it started crashing again since today morning. Tried to start two stress test, crashed on both. I have attached the ss of both after booting. I think there may be issues with the thermal paste. I am not sure. I reapplied the thermal paste each time I took out the cooler. Would appreciate any input.

Attachments

• aida64_lshUr3Dxiw.png
    aida64_lshUr3Dxiw.png
    15.7 KB · Views: 35
  • aida64_tReLIbhJlT.png
    aida64_tReLIbhJlT.png
    16 KB · Views: 34
I changed my ram frequency to 2666 mhz and it is working fine. Everything was fine yesterday until I used the XMP settings for 3600 mhz. Seem like I am stuck with 2666 mhz until it gets repaired.

I changed my ram frequency to 2666 mhz and it is working fine. Everything was fine yesterday until I used the XMP settings for 3600 mhz. Seem like I am stuck with 2666 mhz until it gets repaired.
At least its working good than nothing else you had to buy a new proccy. Get some help on getting a pin soldered on the affected point.

if you have more than 1 ram and not purchased as a kit and you are xmping it chances are that they might have memory from different vendor and might not play well
It 4 x same model (xpg d60g). Previously I was running 2x of them at 3600. But added 2x more before the whole cpu mishap. The pc is running fine at xmp setting of 3200mhz. It crashes only at 3600mhz xmp. Haven't tried manual oc.

x3d processors don't benefit much from ram speed anyway. If processor is working now with 3200, i would just let it be and never ever touch it again. Why risk it ?

It 4 x same model (xpg d60g). Previously I was running 2x of them at 3600. But added 2x more before the whole cpu mishap. The pc is running fine at xmp setting of 3200mhz. It crashes only at 3600mhz xmp. Haven't tried manual oc.
Trying to overclock 4 ram sticks on ryzen platform itself is challenging without even considering the fact that all four of those ram sticks should have identical hardware (even same models of same brand ram may not have exact same hardware depending on their mfg date & batch).

Just curious, If a broken pin is non-essential can leaving it inside the socket be a source of instability? Like some kind of change in electrical resistance compared to the other pins or mechanically it might not contact properly due to change in temp and moving around etc? If so, can these cause crashes which can be avoided by removing the pin entirely?

Try checking with a mobile repair shop. They can do it probably.
don't go with Road Side Mobile Repair Shop that run by Rowdy/Tapory/tobacco chewing/fancy color hair type boys but visit REPUTED SHOP, they may charge 2-3 time more but will do your work perfectly and with road side tin shed shops they will just put feviquick and handover ...

Back