Benq W710ST from Amazon

Sei

Skilled
Hi guys

I've been thinking of buying a projector for quite some time and have zoned down on the W710ST for the following reasons -
- Short throw projector
- 720p; dont require 1080p
- 3D support

Now, this projector costs ~60k in the market. I checked out Amazon and it will cost me ~42k delivered at home.

I will lose out on warranty but will be saving ~20k.

Is it a good deal? The projector in itself is quite VFM; that I know.
Should I go ahead with Amazon?
Sent from my HD7 using Board Express

LoL . .Best of luck. .

Call me for the Ribbon cutting :eek:

Yup, your speakers and my projector.. khoob jamega rang :p

Not sure if it applies for projectors but works on 240V and is PAL compatible?

Yeah, their US and India site have the same power supply marking - 110 to 240 VAC, 50 to 60 Hz. Should work without issues.

BenQ Global | Products - Projectors - W710ST

As far as PAL goes, this will be running exclusively from the PC. PAL shouldn't be an issue here right?

EDIT: Seems PAL compatible too - http://hometheater.about.com/od/videoprojectorviews/fr/Benq-W710st-Dlp-Video-Projector-Review.htm

awesome purchase... projector is definitely on my wishlist once I settle down in a house of my own...

Please do post pics once you get the projector

'grats man! Not sure how I missed this thread but I don't know much about the projector segment. :p

Either way, set it up good and click some nice snaps to go with it. Good luck with the stuff!

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1355166751504.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1355166751504.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 131
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks in advance to everyone. But, I think we should wait for it to reach me first. I usually don't like to post/talk about stuff before it is in my hands and working well for some time; a little superstitious (and don't like showing off that much). Don't really know what happened here. :p

I'll post a few pics here. The issue, which I realised after ordering the damn thing, is that the free part of my wall in my room is only about 90"-95" diagonally (~ 6 feet horizontally) in length. I was hoping to get a 120" at the very least. Not an issue with the projector, but still :/

Now, I am clueless about what speakers to use. Will be forced to start with my old Sony 2.0 Hi-Fi that is no longer used in the living room. No scope of buying anything for the next few months. :(
saifbukhari - I do hope that is your setup! :p Just kidding, looks uber cool.

Ha @Sei, and I hope you get charged heavy customs lol
On serious notes yeah thats what I too plan to go sometime later (projector thingy), but for now wishing you the best for this epic to be setup of yours. . .

'grats man! Not sure how I missed this thread but I don't know much about the projector segment. :p

Neither did I. Have been trolling AVSForum and HiFiVision for a long time. Everyone recommends getting a good pair of speakers first and that's what I had decided too. But saw this good deal and went ahead with it. Hope I have made a good choice and it doesn't trouble me too much.

- - - Updated - - -

Ha Sei, and I hope you get charged heavy customs lol
On serious notes yeah thats what I too plan to go sometime later (projector thingy), but for now wishing you the best for this epic to be setup of yours. . .

Oh yeah, customs suck bigtime. Actually Amazon pre-calculates customs; so there shouldn't be any nasty surprise there.

The shipping and handling charges were only around $45 (some discount for global shoppers) and the damn customs was around $190.

Item(s) Subtotal: $549.99
Shipping & Handling: $43.87
-----
Total before tax: $593.86
Sales Tax: $0.00
Import Fees Deposit $189.87
-----
Total for This Shipment: $783.73
-----

Just a teaser update since haven't had the time to properly explore and calibrate it.

From Tata Sky HD with a little ambient light in adjoining area -

alt0734543369115e6bba34.jpg

Normal SD content. Some of you may recognize the show. Yes, that's my shadow below -
alt1582bc5805c8b7a74313.jpg

This last one is taken from my shitty HD7 camera - looks much sharper and blacks much deeper. Just to give a sense of scale - compare with the size of the lamp kept on the sideboard.
wp000523.jpg

Whats the day time performance like? How much degradation is there with a few windows open or lights on? What about the lamp life are you considering the costs of replacing that when it goes poop?

Also Cloud Atlas rips seem to be in Russian text. Avoid imo.

Whats the day time performance like? How much degradation is there with a few windows open or lights on? What about the lamp life are you considering the costs of replacing that when it goes poop?

Also Cloud Atlas rips seem to be in Russian text. Avoid imo.

Day time performance is not good TBH. It maybe due to the fact that I am directly projecting on a wall instead of a white/grey screen. Daylight is a projector-killer. You should either be able to control the lighting in the room or use it at night. I do the latter. You really can't compete with the sun, can you?

As far as indoor lighting goes, it depends where the light-source is. For the first picture, there was a lamp that was kept in another part of the L-shaped living+dining room. You can see that there is no loss of quality there. It shouldn't be throwing light on the viewing area, that's all there is.

Generally, lamps last about 1000-2000 hours (though Benq quotes significantly higher running hours). With a busy work-life, the viewing is not as frequent as I would like. A good average would be, say 10 hours a week (lesser in reality). Even 1000 lamp hours gives me 2 years of usage. If it manages to last 2000 hours, that is 4 years of usage. The lamp costs Rs 10k-12k. For me, it's a worthwhile investment for the sheer viewing experience.

Another way to look at it - A 55" 3D LED costs around 1.3-1.5 lac. Let's say it lasts for 10 years. In complete darkness, the projector is as good as an LED, maybe not a Plasma. Now, if I change the lamp of the projector every 2 years, I will still save around 30-50k (hopefully my calculations are correct). Also, the fact that I get a 90"-150" image here.

The Cloud Atlas rip I got seems to be fine, no Russian text. :)

bravo @Sei ....
Just a teaser update since haven't had the time to properly explore and calibrate it.

From Tata Sky HD with a little ambient light in adjoining area -

alt0734543369115e6bba34.jpg

Normal SD content. Some of you may recognize the show. Yes, that's my shadow below -
alt1582bc5805c8b7a74313.jpg

This last one is taken from my shitty HD7 camera - looks much sharper and blacks much deeper. Just to give a sense of scale - compare with the size of the lamp kept on the sideboard.
wp000523.jpg

Congratz @Sei! Btw, how long did it take for Amazon to deliver from the time of the order?

Back