BenQ G2420 - Quick Review

This one is a quick review of the newly launched [still unlisted on Benq INDIA] Benq G2420 a slight upgrade to the already existent G2412. I will try to write the review to help anyone in confusion to buy an LCD in the 24 inch segment which has recently become very affordable.

Benq-G2420HD-Black.jpg

I am sure by the end of the review you will be able to contemplate why I closed in on this specific piece , since that seems to be the major problem with so many monitors to chose from in the 11.5k – 12.5 k segment. No doubt each monitor has its pros n cons and no monitor is the best , its just a matter of convenience at the end of the day.
So without much-a-due lets get started with the UNBOXING ! :hap2:

PS : My first Review EVER !

[BREAK=Unboxing : Revealing the Package]

The basic carton , standard packing. Came neatly packed with cables tidily tucked in pockets in the packing. Whole thing weighed around 6.5 Kgs.

IMG_3456.JPG

Came with the following accessories :

IMG_3458.JPG

From Left-To-Right

1. Standard POWER Cable
2. DVI CABLE :hap2:
3. VGA Cable
4. Manual , Installation Kit

So the DVI cable is bundled along with the Monitor, seems to be a standard now with BENQ products. :cool2:

Finally ! Out with the old , In with the NEW is what I always say :ashamed:

IMG_3460.JPG

[BREAK=Technical Specs]

Here are the Technical specs :
benqg2420specs.jpg

Some observations straight away :

1. The Size mentioned is full 24 Inches and not 23.56 as in G2412 and alike . Which is all BULLSHIT ! OR a marketing stunt maybe. Measure the area myself. It's LOGIC : If it is 16:9 it will be 23.6 inches ONLY !
2. Marginally higher pixel pitch , some .5 more.

3. The video Bandwidth is 210Mhz Vs 205 Mhz in G2412.

4. Has an HDMI port unlike the Samsung P2350.:hap2:

Now dont exactly know how all of this would affect the performance but numbers never hurt anyone :p .Also these stats seem to vary with BenQ India and Global :S so most of these are as verified by the authorized dealer.

Comes with all 3 display options with multiple input with HDMI switching as well.
IMG_3462.JPG

Buttons took a bit of time , but 20 mins down i was cruising through the menu.
b.jpg

Now lets hook it UP !

[BREAK=Entertainment Benchmarking]

16:9 panels are pure awesomeness for the 1080p prints and pretty decent for the 720p ones as well. I used the Default preset , as found it to be the most comfortable. However the dynamic contrast one was looking a bit better in animation movies. Brightness : 80 , Contrast : 45

Up - 720p
IMG_3478.JPG

Animations are made to be watched in HD ! As proven by this super 720p rip of "UP".

Tropic Thunder - BDRIP

IMG_3480.JPG

IMG_3482.JPG

The Images do not do justice to the picture quality [and i ain't no photographer]. The greens in tropic thunder we uber real.

The Dark Knight - 720p
IMG_3483.JPG

No problems with the light/dark spots while watching as well. The colors seamlessly gel into one another. No bleeding visible.Although i am not an expert when it comes to spotting bleeding. I am from the school of thought which believes in the fact " If it looks OK, chances are IT IS :p"

- 700MB rips are shit as expected. While the 2CD ones are watchable from a distance.

The viewing angles aint bad at all :

IMG_3477.JPG

It can be tilted with a tolerance of 20 degrees which is pretty decent , you can always mount it on the wall for more awesomeness .

Note to self : Desi rippers dont know shit about HD encoding.

[BREAK=THE VERDICT]

At a cost of around 11.5 k it is definitely value for money. Did some research on the After sales for Benq and found it satisfactory plus the dealer was a treat to deal with. After so much of confusion I can say i am finally satisfied with what I have purchased.
Total Damages a la Pune :
- Monitor : Rs 11,700 [ Stupid Octroi ]

However , having said that I did not find conclusive evidence that would justify the price of G2420 over a G2412 , having marginal differences. Only thing is the 2420 is a newer panel and being new you expect it to be better. [ Yet , I ain't buying L4D2 :p] So , make your own call on this one. But in any case both 2412 or 2420 are EXTREME VFM !

Pros :
1. 16:9 res is pure awesomeness for 1080 p movies.
2. Nice clean display with no apparent ghosting
3. Vibrant colors , perfect VFM for a TN panel
4. Blacks and Greys were seamless with no pixelation n bleeding.
Cons :
1. Buttons do take time to get used to.
2. Cost cutting in the ergonomics make the adjustment in position a bit tricky but is a one time process.
3. GAMING : You do feel bad when you have to step down on the settings to increase the FPS in games, but with better cards getting cheaper that is a temporary roadblock. However my HD4850 was able to handle most of the things that I threw at it at MED - High settings @ playable FPS :hap2:

DID not attach gaming screens as no point in doing that

I would like to give a BIG thanks to the TE community for stepping up as usual to help a fellow TEite decide on a good purchase. Thank you all for your feedback n responses to my numerous threads. I have tried to help other members as well during the course of my search for my LCD through all the knowledge that I had gained through TE and dealing with almost every respectable dealer in Pune :p , hope the review helps as well. My first one at that so wouldn't mind the criticism :p.

nice 1st review.
i'm also doing my 1st review... on g2412...
most pics have been takes and now trying to include some technical testing in the review..

also about the panel size...

IF pixel pitch is higher than g2412 then technical panel size shall also be higher since number of pixels remain constant. i will measure the size of g2412 panel to see if its 23.6" if both panel are of same size then probably the pixel pitch statistic on benq web is incorrect :p

also...

Nice one, you forgot to highlight power consumption 49W(max) with comparing G2012HD. Did you feel any over brightness in black areas, specially in videos?

I was always confuse between 2412 and 2420. But after reading your review, I am definitely gonna buy this beauty within a month. Thanks

virus32win said:
Nice one, you forgot to highlight power consumption 49W(max) with comparing G2012HD. Did you feel any over brightness in black areas, specially in videos?
Thanks for all the appreciation guys :hap2:

I had mentioned it but revoked it later as i saw the same power consumption rating on a few other sites. This is one big problem in BenQ products , no reliable technical source. If you see the India site it is mentioned as 57W and 49W in Global.

The Size mentioned is full 24 Inches and not 23.56 as in G2412 and alike . Which is all BULLSHIT ! OR a marketing stunt maybe. Measure the area myself. It's LOGIC : If it is 16:9 it will be 23.6 inches ONLY !

That phrase is real confusing, So are you saying its full 24" inches or not ?

@ bond_@212 : Watched many movies didnt notice a thing. Played L4D didnt notice a thing.

Read: None whatsoever.

@ vinodh89: I am just saying that it is what a 24 inches 16:9 monitor is supposed to be like. This one has the same size as any of the 24 inch FULL HD monitors out there like Dell S2409W.

Now unless the G2412 is smaller [which i highly doubt] , both these monitors are OF THE SAME SIZE !

I stand corrected !

The Size mentioned is full 24 Inches and not 23.56 as in G2412 and alike . Which is all BULLSHIT ! OR a marketing stunt maybe. Measure the area myself. It's LOGIC : If it is 16:9 it will be 23.6 inches ONLY !

Actually, i have bought the same, and myself measured it too. its not even 23.6"..it is 22.5" wide and 13" in height :(. (the screen size) Making the screen size 571.5mm x 330.2 mm @my measurement. Are all 24" like this?

shivamrockz07 said:
Actually, i have bought the same, and myself measured it too. its not even 23.6"..it is 22.5" wide and 13" in height :(. (the screen size) Making the screen size 571.5mm x 330.2 mm @my measurement. Are all 24" like this?

you have to measure the diagonal and not the sides :)
i just measured G2412 panel and its diagonal is ~23.6"

There is some backlight bleeding when playing PES though. Only when you play in full day light. Where the players are against contrast of a very bright green grass. You can see some green glow behind the players which are moving very fast. I minor Drawback IMO.

Back