Basic home broadband solution: is N150 enough ?

rajshenoy

Disciple
Hi guys

I have a more general query. The requirement is to setup wifi in my home. i have two laptops and a PC and couple of mobiles. so i obviously want to have multiple devices using web at any point of time(may not be all of them together)

Also i have a BSNL plan which gives me upto 512Kbps bandwidth (even if i switch to a high speed plan, we get upto 4MB on BSNL or airtel)

So the question is, to support such a bandwidth, do i need a modem router which supports more than 150Mbps ? because my ISP will anyway act as a bottleneck.

I can see that modem routers N150 is available for about 2K(belkin/Dlink/Netgear) and for about 2500, i can get N300.

But just want to know what value add will N300 do.

please enlighten me. :huh:

google.

your router/ lan bandwidth has nothing to do with your provider speeds. cmon!

get an understanding of your lan usage ( if any) else an iball router for even less suits your purpose

:)

Not sure what happened to my previous post, so sending again.

@Ab : if i could google, i would not have created a thread for this topic.

I should have mentioned one more line about my usage that all the devices will finally do browsing and connect to Office VPN. there is little LAN activity(like games etc) that i want to do. its just that i had about 2K budget and saw alot of options at my disposal.

The 150 Mbps is theoretical maximum speed, anyway if you only have to share the internet connection N150 is more than enough. N300 will be helpful for heavier LAN activity like copying large files across your computers (gaming doesn't take that much bandwidth).

with today's products, any router will work for you.

even a g router will be enough

n is over hyped and not reqd for your usage

let me explain you. your bb speed is only 512kbps. On the other hand a g router supports upto 54mb/s = 54/8 = theoretically 7mB/s practically 4 - 5mB/s . likewise if you calculate for the n router you get more than g. Since the 512 kbps falls very much within this limit there is no issue at all even if you get g router. Bear in mind that you need an n adapter to operate in n mode. I heard n range is slightly better than g range but dont know how far its true.

It depends how big your house is, how many walls the signal has to go through etc.
g is supposed to have a range of about 120ft indoors, but if you've got lots of other devices, walls, etc between the router and your device it can be a lot less.
n has double the range.

If you can place your router in such a way that at most it'll have to travel through 1 wall, g should be okay.

I had a b/g router and it wouldn't work in the corner room of my house. The router was about 40-50 feet away from the room, but the signal had to pass through 2 walls.

@OP: The Belkin N150 (or any N150 model) is available for Rs.1400/- at Croma and other stores ..

The N150 will do you just fine .. the starting range of all brands has the same feature so no point nit-picking.

the only differentiator is the Router UI .. choose the one which is the simplest.

Dont go for belkin. I heard that it suffers from serious intolerable wifi drop issues. Then it is upto you. What do you think about TP link ?

anfjavid said:
Dont go for belkin. I heard that it suffers from serious intolerable wifi drop issues. Then it is upto you. What do you think about TP link ?
The older version of Belkin N150 had some issues but the new version (will update the firmware details later) has decent range and UI. Also, I have RMA'ed the older version with new one and I must say they provide on the spot replacement.

Hey guys

Thanks for the inputs. i am more clear now, but since the price of N150 is well within my reach and since it supports G as well, i guess i can go ahead with one.

Had one more doubt. i am planning to use this with BSNL connection. some friend told me that BSNL modems come with pre-loaded configuration and non BSNL modems will have tough time connecting !!

So is there any specific configuration i need to keep in mind to make my new modem work with BSNL connection ?

i am aware of VPI/VCI settings and my login details.

But is there anything else ? My common sense tells me that i need to let the router know the next hop IP address(BSNL gateways ?) and unless i do that it wont work

Yup, bought it a couple of months back. Haven't flashed it yet. Still running the stock firmware. Works pretty well for me...

Will post screenshots of the interface in the evening when i get back home.

^Thanks a lot man! That will help. I suppose setting up the router was simple.

OP: Sorry for the thread-jack! :ashamed:

View attachment 15821

As promised, attached a screenshot. Which other screens do u want me to capture?

Attachments

• Capture_buffalo.jpg
    Capture_buffalo.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 278
^Thanks a lot Fahrenheit! :)

That one's pretty neat albeit the tomato one on my previous router was stripped down to the basics. Nvm I just need net sharing for the devices I have around. Btw I have a Reliance connection that requires logging via the website. Can that be configured through the router? I suppose you have a Reliance connection?

Yup, Reliance. haven't figured out how to do that though...tried googling for it but couldn't find anybody who has successfully managed to do it...Lemme know if you find anything.

Boogeyman's python script cannot be used with a router I am assuming. So how do you manage with those frequent disconnections?

Back