Budget 21-30k Bargain basement PC advice

calvin1719

Mostly harmless.
Adept
Hello folks,

I'm upgrading my current bargain basement machine with a new bargain basement machine. Please offer your opinions of the build:

1. What is your budget?
    • 30K ish. Lower is better.
  2. What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
    • CPU - AMD A8 3870k
    • Motherboard - Don't recall but I doubt it matters.
    • GPU - IGP
    • RAM - 8GB DDR3
    • Monitor - Acer 1080p 22in
    • PSU - Corsair CX430
    • 240GB SSD, 2 HDDs
    • Some shitty CM case from 20 years ago
  3. Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
    • Monitor - Acer 1080p 22in
    • PSU - Corsair CX430
    • All storage
  4. Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
    • CPU - Intel i3 10105F
    • Motherboard - Asus Prime H510M-E
    • GPU - going to pick up something used
    • RAM - 2x Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB CMK8GX4M1E3200C16 3200Mhz DDR4 - not sure of this one because it's not on the QFL for the board, but I don't think I should have any issues?
    • Deepcool Mattrex 30 3FS (Primeabgb link) - chose this because it comes with 3 fans and I've heard it's decent. Plus it's cheap.
    • Maybe a better SSD
    • Maybe a new PSU if needed for the GPU I end up with
  5. Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
    • Probably won't upgrade significantly for at least a year. Might upgrade GPU, and PSU if needed.
  6. Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
    • Online only
    • Open to buying GPU used
  7. Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
    • Yes
  8. What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
    • Gaming
    • Browsing
    • Watching HD movies
    • This will stay on 24/7.
  9. Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
    • Going to avoid MSI because of the terrible ASS rep.
  10. If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
    • FPS, racing, RPG, mostly from 2000-2015. Probably won't be running any games from the last 5 years on it.
  11. What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
    1. 1080p 60/75Hz. Not overtly bothered about reaching 75Hz; I doubt any of the GPUs I pick up will have it.
  12. Are you looking to overclock?
    • No
  13. Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
    • Windows 10 64 bit

Thanks!

I don't know if you can fit even a used GPU in your budget. Better go for i3 12100 with iGPU. Again, not sure if it will fit within your tight budget. Otherwise pick a used/open box Ryzen 5600G. The integrated graphics will be more than enough for your needs. And you'll be able to save on the GPU cost.

For the cabinet, don't go for Mattrexx 30. I have that cabinet and it was an instant regret. There's no space for the unused PSU wires to go, the HDD cage comes in the way of the motherboard and can block some connectors depending on the design. For me, it blocks the USB 3.0 headers, so I have no front USB 3.0 ports.

So I'd say go for Mattrexx 40, it's much better designed.

I don't know if you can fit even a used GPU in your budget. Better go for i3 12100 with iGPU. Again, not sure if it will fit within your tight budget. Otherwise pick a used/open box Ryzen 5600G. The integrated graphics will be more than enough for your needs. And you'll be able to save on the GPU cost.

For the cabinet, don't go for Mattrexx 30. I have that cabinet and it was an instant regret. There's no space for the unused PSU wires to go, the HDD cage comes in the way of the motherboard and can block some connectors depending on the design. For me, it blocks the USB 3.0 headers, so I have no front USB 3.0 ports.

Maybe possible with a GPU, I'm building a system with higher spec for approx 37k with an SSD, I guess it'll be 38.5k once I add wifi and w11 licence key. I'd say within 32k is possible, 8-10k on the GPU used, higher end ones will kill the budget.

Thanks for the advice. I have two options for the gpu I'm considering. A 950 for 4.5 or a 970 for 8k.Total for the latter comes to 33k ish including a psu replacement which I think I can manage (having a hard time finding a psu that has the 6+8 pin connectors though).
I don't want to go for an igp system again since I want the dedicated vram, even if it's very little like 2gb. Not to mention that a 5600G build will end up nearly the same as for the 970+ new psu.

If you want to saw a few thousand you can go for used ram, they usually have long warranties. You can get it from cheap in used market. Do confirm the ram model and ensure if it is compatible or not.

If going used a decent PC is certainly possible.

10100F + H510 board = 11k
16GB DDR4 RAM - 5k
Case - 3k
Storage, PSU, Display - You already have
GPU - 12k for used 1060 6GB

What else do you need? There's not much advantage going for 12th gen i3 if you are putting an entry level GPU. Rather save those and put that money in a better GPU instead.

1060 6GB is the bare minimum I'd suggest and is honestly perfectly fine for 1080p 60fps gaming. Heck, I was gaming at 4k monitor happily on older games using this GPU until I upgraded to 2070 super just cuz I got a good deal. You can consider RX 580 8GB, etc too as they're similar in performance and might just be in your budget.

I recently upgraded to 2070 Super so have my 1060 lying around. Feel free to ping me if you're interested for purchase.

Not sure if a new thread is justified for this so just adding it here - Does Asrock have a seal on the box for their motherboards?

Back