CPU/Mobo Barcelona performs 30% better than Clovertown - Dell leak says

This week has brought a whole raft of AMD stories with all sorts of headlines swirling about the company in the run-up to next week's make-or-break Barcelona announcement. Here's a brief look at the very latest in AMD news before the big day on Monday.

Dell sticks by AMD
In a speech at the 14th Annual Citigroup Technology Conference, Dell CEO Michael Dell insisted that his company would continue offering AMD processors. Dell cited the need for diversity in processor suppliers, as well as the complementary strengths of Intel's quad-core "Clovertown" Xeons and AMD's quad-core Barcelona. Dell, who could be citing either real in-house benchmarks or someone's marketing materials, claimed that Barcelona has a 30 percent lead in floating-point performance over Clovertown, while Clovertown has a 30 percent lead in integer.

These are all good reasons to stick by AMD, but there's another factor behind Dell's newfound love of Intel's archrival that you won't be hearing about from company executives. Namely, the fact that Dell no longer gets the steep discounts and advertising subsidies that it allegedly once received from Intel when it was an Intel-only company. In the post-Conroe world, Intel has cut prices across the board for its processor lineup. So whatever discount Dell may still get, it's not worth losing any potential business over.
AMD serves up Barcelona prices

Someone in the channel squealed, and now DailyTech has its hands on the launch prices and clockspeeds for Barcelona. In line with previous announcements, Barcelona's launch speeds top out at a piddling 2.0GHz across the board, in both two- and four-socket variants. On the two-socket side, there's the 2.0GHz (95W TDP) Opteron 2350, a processor that sells for $372 (presumably in lots of 1,000). There's also a 1.9GHz 68W part for the same price, as well as a 1.7GHz (68W TDP) for $206.

The article also has open-source Linux drivers.. and I have heard really good performance from openSuSE devs.. I have been telling about it to montylee and others for sometime now!!

Read More here:
News Source: AMD sees price leaks, public support from Dell in run up to Barcelona

Edit: @mods: Should this be in the Barcelona News Sticky?? But its not just Barcelona news, its got ATI news as well... Also some AMD fab news!! So thought of posting it here!!

That's good news. If AMD ATI manages to get the Linux drivers upto the mark of Nvidia then my next card might be ATI. For now, i'll stay happy with Nvidia 8600GT.

The drivers for sure gonna be better than nVidia drivers. They gonna be open source as well... and will be really fun to hack with. Hope when R630 is released we'll have reverse-engineered HDCP (for all fans of DRM...but I hate it and want that chip removed from every piece of hardware)...

@montylee: Alas, u dont use an ATI card or else you could have joined writing some code for it at openSuSE... anyways u use Ubuntu now-a-days, dont u?? :bleh:

===>>>>>>> Oh... I forgot, the distro wars are over!! <<<<<<<===

PS: Didnt AMD say it would perform 40% better... Still its better reduction than some of the Mutual Fund managers have done before!!

well,30% lead in fp = 30% better than clovertown overall,how?

and dell says clovertown has 30% advantage in int.

and besides, we all know intel has the clock advantage.

and about open source drivers,I cant really see how they are really opening up 3d part,especially coz of all these drm's..

leomax said:
well,30% lead in fp = 30% better than clovertown overall,how?
and dell says clovertown has 30% advantage in int.
and besides, we all know intel has the clock advantage.

and about open source drivers,I cant really see how they are really opening up 3d part,especially coz of all these drm's..

Intel does have a lead in clock (more to do with smaller fabrication), but thats really not a huge advantage since the bottleneck in 4P or 8P systems is pretty huge... and thats the reason why AMD has a 30% FP advantage... I think the int advantage should be taken with a pinch of salt, coz doesnt seem like AMD has the architecture to beat them at int!!

Coming to the open-drivers: AMD is opening up the hardware for the graphics card on Barcelona launch day after 2morrow, but not for the HDCP hardware. Shouldnt be much tough to do, since the HDCP instructions move through a different GPU pipeline and actually have completely different instructions!!

Back