Graphic Cards Athlon Xp 2000+ with 6600GT

dhiman

Disciple
Hi,

I have a old pc running on Athlon XP 2000+ and ASUS A7N266-VM motherboard with 256 MB RAM

How much of a bottleneck would my proccessor be if i were to pair it with a say Leadtek 6600GT AGP supposing i also upgrade my RAM to 512 MB. With this setup will i be able to play games like DOOM3, HL2, NFSU2 and all?

Cheers
Dhiman

chk out ur mobo's compability with that card .... as nforce 1 has major issues with 6 series card ....... i tried but can't get mine 6600GT run on a A7N 266VM ...... check before purchasing the card ......

It would be a major bottleneck.

Id say dont waste your money on it.

Upgrade to a better processor if you want a better gfx card.

Thanks Icefusion, Rahul and Goldenfrag...looks like i would have to upgrade for good this time....if i were to sell off my old proccy+mobo+ram how much should i expect?

Cheers

OT : my friend who is in Goa has 6600GT and P4 1.7 ghz with 512mb ram is able to play GTA San Andreas and all the other games in 1024x768 resolution with 4/8x AA and 16x AF ! he does not experience any slow downs .. this is unbelievable . what do you guys say ?

dhiman you wont get much by selling the proccy and mobo probably below 4k I think

hey guys i also have almost the same system:
athlon 2k+||asus a7v8xmx||512 mb ram(400mhz)

thot of buying gainward 6600gt gs(agp)

luks like i have 2 options:
sell this for a new system+graphics card
[proposed new sys:amd 64 3k+||asus mobo||2*512 kingston ram||6800 or 6800gs]*
or
only buy agp!!

*ne contacts for sellers/distributors hu ll b interested in this offer?

dhiman said:
Thanks Icefusion, Rahul and Goldenfrag...looks like i would have to upgrade for good this time....if i were to sell off my old proccy+mobo+ram how much should i expect?

Cheers

I dont think you will get more than 4-5 grands for all the 3 items put togather, better than that just get a new mobo proccy ram cabinet and hdd use the other parts form ur existing config like optical drives and so on.

Instead of selling i would advise you to keep your old pc as a file server or maybe a backup PC , i was lucky i kept my old p3 800 mhz with ASU 815 mobo instead of selling it, i am using it a a file server/downloader with VNC client running so that it connected to my regular PC through a crosscable connection (so no keyboard and mouse required for the filer server :p) My regular PC incidently is a athlon xp 2000 with Asu 266vM mobo and 6200 AGP card, and its runs most of the new games fine on 800 by 600 dont expect miracles thought i have Oced my gfx to some extent. The CPU will be a bottle neck in mine as well as ur case as far as the gfx card goes but it will get you through most of the new games in 800 by 600 with low and medium settings.

I'd say just upgrade the RAM ....the Athlon 2000 should be decent enough to pair with a 6600....

I got a 2400 paired with a 6800nu....I wish at times that I had a better proccy, but taht's an upgrade that can wait....

Just make sure that what Rahul quoted above doesn't turn out to be a hassle for u too

ll be gettin ~5k for my system(xcluding ram!!!) [talked to a retailer this evening]... i thnk i ll go ahead with the agp only for now... dont thnk addition of ram ll do a lot in gaming
wont have ne probz with gud ol' cs(1.5/1.6) :hap2: or splinter cell chaos theory.

btw (off-topic):do ne of u guys play cs over net-thru steam?what broadband connection u guys have?

broar94 said:
OT : my friend who is in Goa has 6600GT and P4 1.7 ghz with 512mb ram is able to play GTA San Andreas and all the other games in 1024x768 resolution with 4/8x AA and 16x AF ! he does not experience any slow downs .. this is unbelievable . what do you guys say ?

no body replies ? oh well ..

Back