CPU/Mobo Asus Vs MSI ??

Fakepunk

Disciple
I'm in need of a little help, I'm kind of stuck between my choice of mobos for my system, namely MSI neo4 Platinum and Asus A8N-E.
Both boards look pretty similar except the Asus one doesn't have the firewire port on it but is cheaper than the NEO4.
I'm getting the NEO4 for 10500 and the Asus for 8500. The price of the NEO4 looks kinda bloated, hell all prices here are bloated as I ain't exactly livin in a city.
What say?

Hey look out for the cheaper version of msi >> Msi neo 4 f
Its basically a neo 4 platinum with the additional sata & lan removed.Heard its good.
U may also look out for the basic a8n-sli which shud be in same price range.Dunno whether its avlble here or wats the price tho :hap2:

i would go for asus even if it would cost more than msi.

msi always given me n a couple of friends problems in all products, gfx card, mobo & also writer.

Msi neo4 F costs around 9500rs,
but international price is less than 100$ (why prices so high in india).
neo4 platinum costs 10000rs,
and it has extra gigabit lan and it supports SATA II
which neo4 F doesn't. So why someone will go for neo4 F ...

Basic Asus A8N-Sli costs around 12000rs +
Also Asus A8N-E don't has intregrated gfx (for those who want to buy gfx card later).

I prefer Msi neo4 Platinum

U can go for MSI RS480M2, it cost just 6000rs
check out: http://www.techenclave.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2627

Neo4 F is as vanilla as the AN8-E but is a tad bit more expensive.

Although solid reasoning points me toward the Asus, the thing is I had my heart set on the Neo4 Platinum and my frikkin dealer has put me on hold for about 3 weeks for it, his reasoning being the lack of availabilty of the board.

So now If I go with the Asus, indeed minus some bells and whistles, I'd be getting good local support at a slightly cheaper price.
i think Darklord over here had some nice words to say about the A8N-E, would anyone here vouch for the MSI with reference to actual usage?

And SLI is a big special no-no, unless..............

Hey masky , heard darky that he will be keeping the A8N Sli with himself as
a backup.

Me too wanted to ask this question
I was also confused between A8N Sli Delux & MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum Sli

- The MSI overclocks like hell just is as close as DFI
- It has overclocked 1:1 to 300 Mhz or more [Read AnandTeach SLi Mobo Roundup]
- Also did not understood the difference between K8N Diamond & K8N Neo4 Platinum Sli [Think that diamond has some wifi thing extra]
- Lacks PCI-E x1 Slot [what if i need it in future]

Hey FakePunk,
I would definately vote for Asus A8N-E
It is a brilliant board at the price.
It overclocks better than the A8N SLI. :clap:

It looks bland though,features are scrapped but hey,all necessary features are there. ;)

I know MSI is good but i feel it is too overpriced,not worth it. :hap5:

- The MSI overclocks like hell just is as close as DFI

Hmm i have heard that.I will take that with a pinch of salt as i feel Anandtech is a bit biased towards MSI,you can make that out from their earlier reviews and articles.
Just my opinion. ;)

Not only Anandtech but many other sites have said about MSI's SLi board
OC Potential

Overclocking
Using a Koolance EXOS water cooling system, we easily pushed the K8N Neo4 to unbelievable overclocking heights after overcoming some BIOS-related issues. It seems that the board is limited to a 235MHz FSB with the Aggressive timing option in the BIOS Cell Menu screen enabled. Anything above that FSB and the system will not post. However, it is a vastly different story with the Aggressive timing option disabled. In an SLI configuration, we were able to push the system to an unbelievable 350MHz FSB. In a single card configuration, we pushed the board even further to an amazing 375MHz FSB. We tried for a full 400MHz, but we could not stabilize the system at that speed. In both cases, the system was rock solid, running everything thrown at it including Prime95. In the single card 375MHz FSB configuration, Prime95 ran a full 15hrs before we stopped it. Additionally, the stock chipset cooler was more than adequate at dissipating the generated chipset heat at this speed, even with the 1.75v we were running through it. Here are the stats on both of these incredible overclocks for your scrutiny:

This is what HardOCP said in there review

nForcersHQ Review
MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum Review (NVIDIA nForce4 SLI)
MSI has really got a winner on their hands with this board. If you’re looking to upgrade and want to take the Athlon64 socket 939 plunge, don’t even think about getting another board. This is the board to get. Period.After experiencing the ASUS A8N-SLI motherboard, I really thought that it would be tough for any other manufacturer to match its features and performance. After reviewing the MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum/SLI, it is clear that MSI has not only matched the performance of the A8N, but it has also surpassed it. From our experiences, while the ASUS A8N-SLI is an excellent piece of engineering, the MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum/SLI seems to be even better.. ..Overall, the MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum/SLI is the best SLI motherboard on the market that we have had the pleasure of working with, not to mention that it is an overclocking giant.

I dont have the exact links to these 2 articles so posted it directly.

I am against this MSI SLi board just because it lacks PCI-E x1 slot[What a silly reason you might think]

Have also seen very few people abroad going for the MSI
Many purchase either ASUS or DFI but not MSI.

MSI boards are good, but their selling point IE the price is not applicapable here in India, hence Asus would be the best bet. I have never had any probs with either Asus or MSI products, I would say Asus has an edge in India due to their wider network and better service.

Umm I dunno if my input is really relevant here but I picked the A8N-E over the Neo4 because, well, it is Asus. And the price. And it's as good. Don't need firewire either. So what advantage exactly does MSI offer? Better overclocking for 2000 bucks more?

Well now i'm leaning towards the A8N-E, would order it tomorrow.
And as for the overclocking I think the A8N-E is no sissy either and as Darklord said its better and more stable at it than the SLI one. I heard that the SLI had some issues with mem not OCing at 1t over 250.

The only hitch with my decision is the frikkin Firewire port, although i don't have a digicam with me , I'm very interested in video editing and that's the one thing missing with the A8N-E(I don't care about the extra SATA controller or the LAN thing on MSI).

Its sad though that the A8N-E Premium was only a myth, that would have been hella good.
PS: Does anyone have any idea on how much one of those Firewire cards cost?

I had enquired last night for a friend and a PCI based 2-port Firewire card costs 650 bucks here in Mysore. Expect the prices to be around 500-550 in Mumbai/Chennai..

well I could have expected for my dealer to throw a spanner in the works, but he threw in a monkey wrench as well, with a monkey to go along with it.

He's talking about a new deal, Asus sli Deluxe + Asus Star ice HSF all for 11500.
So now I'm mucho confused. Now I will be streched a little over budget but the fan, although humongous and a tad bit noisy, is surely tempting.
As I said I don't really care about SLI but I'm confused nontheless.
Any precious thoughts any one of you could spare here?

Take that deal!!! not for the fan, coz its noisy n a poor performer, but 11.5k for tht combo is a gr8 deal! u can always sell the HSF for say 1000 bucks.. even then A8N SLi Dlx is a GR8 Deal at 10.5k!!

TheMask said:
Take that deal!!! not for the fan, coz its noisy n a poor performer, but 11.5k for tht combo is a gr8 deal! u can always sell the HSF for say 1000 bucks.. even then A8N SLi Dlx is a GR8 Deal at 10.5k!!

Agreed its a really a very good deal.

the starice isnt loud. u can adjust the fan speed. on 3000rpm u wont even know that its on. & on 5200 it is really loud. & i used this with the case open. so closed case will be less noise even on 5200rpm. noise shouldnt be a prob as it comes with a fan speed controller.

the starice otherwise costs 2800 or 3000rs. i am not sure whats the price of a8nsli. so u can deduct the 3000rs & know if the deal is good or no.

Back