Asus RT-N66U dead

asus is far more vulnerable to power fluctuations than linksys IMO. i still have a wrtg54g working after 8 years while my asus rt n 56u imported from the US conked off in a year!

good luck with the RMA. based on your feedback, might consider ASUS again, since they do make kick ass routers for a house full of media streaming and multiple gadgets, IMHO..

What ?

How did this happen in less than a month or is it 2 weeks.

bought it 12 days ago...

No idea. I came back from the office and the lights on the router were off. The light in the adapter was flickering. Plugged it into another power outlet, same result.

Removed the router and plugged in only the adapter, i see a stable blue light. The router just does not switch on.

bought it 12 days ago...

No idea. I came back from the office and the lights on the router were off. The light in the adapter was flickering. Plugged it into another power outlet, same result.

Removed the router and plugged in only the adapter, i see a stable blue light. The router just does not switch on.
this is exacttttttly what happened to me!! :(
definitely a power issue, did you follow the reset and static discharge procedures?

This tells me its the power adapter that cannot deliver enough to the router. Power fluctuations will kill the adapter first. Its output to the router is DC. I don't think its possible to kill a router with power fluctuations.

Grounding problems however can make their way from one pc via ethernet into the routers ports and blow them, it would have to be a pretty big spike to kill the router. A lightning surge maybe. This is the monsoon period after all.

Had any lightning storms in your area recently ?

this is exacttttttly what happened to me!! :(
definitely a power issue, did you follow the reset and static discharge procedures?

Reset and static discharge? Have any steps i can follow? The router isn't switching on at all, so how do i reset it? Using the reset button?

This tells me its the power adapter that cannot deliver enough to the router. Power fluctuations will kill the adapter first. Its output to the router is DC. I don't think its possible to kill a router with power fluctuations.

Grounding problems however can make their way from one pc via ethernet into the routers ports and blow them, it would have to be a pretty big spike to kill the router. A lightning surge maybe. This is the monsoon period after all.

Had any lightning storms in your area recently ?

It was connected to my Microtek UPS. I've been running a Dlink from the same power plug for the last 5 years and haven't had any problems.

It did rain yesterday but i don't remember seeing any lightning. Also, the adapter works fine when i plug it in without the router. It's when i connect the router that it stops working.

Would suggest to either RMA it or try with another adapter - Can you tell me whats the voltage, current rating for the adapter?[DOUBLEPOST=1373572432][/DOUBLEPOST]EDIT : Checked Google and saw this
"DC Output : 19 V with max. 1.58 A current"

That means a laptop charger with about the similar voltage should do the trick, but the current is the key factor here.

Also do try to check if the adaptor is giving enough output - try checking it with a multimeter.

Either way - AFAIK, you will need to RMA the entire lot.

Also, the adapter works fine when i plug it in without the router. It's when i connect the router that it stops working.
Faulty adapters tend to show problems only when 'loaded' i.e. when the router is connected. If you can find another working device with similar power requirements to load it, you can check if the adapter is faulty.

Edit: Just saw vivek's post above. Yeah a laptop adapter should do. Don't worry about the current, practically all laptop adapters are rated >1.5A. Higher current won't affect it, since the router will draw only the needed current.

But shouldn't the connector match the one that is in the router adapter? :p
As long as the voltage match it doesn't matter whether its a 1amp adapter or a 10amp adapter,only thing is the adapter must have a higher rating of current then that of the load.
The router is going to draw only what it requires and the power supply adaptor is only going to give how much the load demands.

^ No he means the adapter plug should match the router socket to fit into it, which is something I overlooked :p

Yeah I meant this thing:

83003740-4.jpg

:p

I did. could not find a female to accept the plug with a male end to extend it.

The dirty way is to cut the cable and attach a wire in between.

@indy1811
Sheesh, not cool. Where are you located?

@dinjo
Thanks. :)

P.S. I have used mine at many places, with not-so-stable power sources at times. Still works wonderfully- touchwood. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
IMO - Except for the new Dell laptops, mostly they use the standard pin connector. Should work - unless the pin size differs or the polarity is wrong.

In either case, just get the correct jack for the router from you local electronics shop by showing him the adapter and ask him to solder two wires to the jack. Use multi-strand wires which can carry heavy loads, the other end, strip of about 1/4" of the wires and just check whether the router starts up.

On a different note, just realized I had experienced the same flickering issue once. Its surely an adapter fault.

@indy1811
Sheesh, not cool. Where are you located?

@dinjo
Thanks. :)

P.S. I have used mine at many places, with not-so-stable power sources at times. Still works wonderfully- touchwood. :p

Bangalore.

Went to Rashi yesterday and gave it for RMA. They tried using it with a different adapter. Didn't work. They will let me know the status in a few days...

Last edited by a moderator:
Back