Asus RT-N16 - calling DE-BRICK EXPERTS

babhishek

Skilled
Hi

I have a BRICKED RT-N16. this was purchased from the US, so i assume its a no warranty product.
does anyone have expertise on De-Bricking this router using a JTAG or a level shifting Serial Cable?

Any HELP would be appreciated!!

-babhishek

It seems JTAG is not supported but serial cable is. Let us know details about how did you brick it and what all recovery steps were attempted.

@babhishek
@Kuantum
Can you please share how is default new firmware of N16 ? I heard new download master is too good & works same as transmission.
I am on N13 & was thinking of upgrade to N16.

Last edited by a moderator:
@babhishek
@Kuantum
Can you please share how is default new firmware of N16 ? I heard new download master is too good & works same as transmission.
I am on N13 & was thinking of upgrade to N16.

Using ddwrt on RT-N16. Transmission can be installed on ddwrt and several guides are available. Always found default ASUS firmware laggy and feature deficient.

A review of RT-N16 and other routers on --> http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-reviews/31058-asus-rt-n16-gigabit-n-router-reviewed

@Praks, I too have the same idea, but am not going with N16 as its too expensive for a new piece. Will be buying tomorrow either a N15 or a 3600

@Praks, I too have the same idea, but am not going with N16 as its too expensive for a new piece. Will be buying tomorrow either a N15 or a 3600
I was interested in understanding why your present setup isn't working to your satisfaction. Until that is answered its difficult to suggest an upgrade. You've not managed to track down the problem yet.

N16's wifi range is not as good as the N13, N16's advantage is it has more flash memory so can load more 3rd party packages and can handle more concurrent connections. So only if you have multiple users N16 can handle the load better than N13.

I was interested in understanding why your present setup isn't working to your satisfaction. Until that is answered its difficult to suggest an upgrade. You've not managed to track down the problem yet.

N16's wifi range is not as good as the N13, N16's advantage is it has more flash memory so can load more 3rd party packages and can handle more concurrent connections. So only if you have multiple users N16 can handle the load better than N13.

I know, but not had the time to play with the WiFi checks. Anyways, if the issue persists on my new setup too, then Ill just sell it off.

And I can reduce the clutter a bit with the new setup, so am all in for it.

N13 was all fine but now a days started aborting transmission with just 1 download & CPU reaching 100 % load.
I fail to understand whats going wrong. I keep starting transmission manually every 15 mints as it aborts once CPU reaches 100 %.
Any idea whats wrong with this ?

Do a complete reset and start from scratch. I had seen CPU load spike before, and faced router slowdown issues as it did hash checks.

Eventually kept it for routing only and got a goflex home which works superbly. That is if you have a spare sata drive and 3.6k spare too. Get it from varkey.

@vivek.krishnan
I checked GUI but could not find hash check option. Where do u check hash checks in Tranmission GUI ?

Does GoFlex also work as media player ? Would wish if Downloader + Media player are combined.

Using ddwrt on RT-N16. Transmission can be installed on ddwrt and several guides are available. Always found default ASUS firmware laggy and feature deficient.

A review of RT-N16 and other routers on --> http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-reviews/31058-asus-rt-n16-gigabit-n-router-reviewed

Above review is 3 yrs old. asus has done many changes to its default firmware(v3.0.0.4.354). Meets most of my requirements. Has in-built downloader. Works well. Also a cloud application, enabling me to access my Hard disk connected to N16 from the internet.

Do not know if there are any benefit that i am supposed to be missing..

@Tron05
Download master given with N13 is very crappy hence had to upgrade to DD WRT.

Great to hear from you. Can you tell me hows in-built downloader of new firmware on N16 ?
Does torrent works good ?

@Tron05
Download master given with N13 is very crappy hence had to upgrade to DD WRT.

Great to hear from you. Can you tell me hows in-built downloader of new firmware on N16 ?
Does torrent works good ?

I have ver. 3.1.0.78. It is very basic, but does the work. I just need to add the torrent and the app does the rest. I do not need any graphical representation of speeds or any advanced features, so if the app just downloads a torrent for me, i am satisfied.

IT also has a scheduler to schedule your downloads.

Back