Asus RT-N13U B1 - DD-wrt thread

@dinjo, @axis.meister, @RajeshJ
Its been 8 days & I keep getting high CPU Usage with just 2 torrents. I used to download almost 5 at a time without any issues.
Friend of mine (TE user) suggested to reinstall other version of DD WRT.

Before I go ahead with 2 hours of work again. Can anyone tell me whats wrong with high CPU use & how to keep it normal.
Transmission GUI is used & ProFTP is used to transfer stuff. No other service (i.e. Samba etc) are used. Then why high CPU usage?

It starts normally but slowly within 15-20 minutes CPU load in N13 increases & reaches 100 then transmission stops working. Any help ?

May not be two hours, just two minutes. Just upgrade/downgrade to a lower version. If it does not work, then surely you will have two hours of work :p

Last edited by a moderator:
@dinjo, @axis.meister, @RajeshJ
Its been 8 days & I keep getting high CPU Usage with just 2 torrents. I used to download almost 5 at a time without any issues.
Friend of mine (TE user) suggested to reinstall other version of DD WRT.

Before I go ahead with 2 hours of work again. Can anyone tell me whats wrong with high CPU use & how to keep it normal.
Transmission GUI is used & ProFTP is used to transfer stuff. No other service (i.e. Samba etc) are used. Then why high CPU usage?

It starts normally but slowly within 15-20 minutes CPU load in N13 increases & reaches 100 then transmission stops working. Any help ?

Which firmware build are you using? I had to experiment a lot with different builds and I am now on r19519(07/20/12) as suggested by another DD-wrt user, things are still not perfect but it is working for now.

I haven't had transmission stop working because of the load yet, but I do get loads around 100% often, especially when I use Samba to transfer downloaded files off the USB stick to the PC. Yes, I am using Samba, cos I just cant get the FTP to work :(; I was experimenting with builds, configurations and partition types for the last 3-4 weeks and almost gave up on DD-WRT. But It is working for now(~1 week), only have Samba2 and transmission with 2-3 torrents running and high loads.

The load figures on the router are very deceptive and confusing, when the bar on the status page shows 100%, the load figures on top show something like 1.2, 0.98, 0.95 ( I think these are supposed to be minute, hour and day running averages but they are not in % like the bar :mad:). I have seen these figures reach 2.0(200% load? :confused:) and the horizontal bar at 100% but still the router works fine.[DOUBLEPOST=1370335599][/DOUBLEPOST]
Is any of your torrents doing a hash check on torrents ?

Don't they all do that?

@dinjo

I have some queries, I tried your method(from page 1) verbatim and it wouldn't work for me. The second partition wouldn't mount and when I did get them to mount through explicit commands in the startup, both my ext3 partitions were mounted as ext2; but now I have managed to solve all that and my configuration even though it is different is working(just about). In my case /opt is ext2 and /mnt is ext3; I had issues with both mounted as ext2 because after an abrupt poweroff, the partitions would have errors and I would have to remove the disk and run e2fsck in linux to repair it.
Now to my query:
You are piping(>>) a bunch of commands in your startup to the "/tmp/etc/config/fs.wanup", when does this script run? Is this some default script that runs automatically after WAN interface UP?
In my case this did not run, neither does the S99trans created in init.d, so I am running everything through my startup.

Also, the URL /URL invalidates the wget commands mentioned on the first page; one has to remove the URL /URL to be able to copy and paste the command in a terminal to run it.

1) Your mount command should be similar to
mount /dev/sda2 /mnt

You can find sda or other by looking at First line in DDWRT > Services > USB

2)Mine is mounted also as ext2 , but my both partition are ext2
3) Yes One in a while i am too used to Unplug the Drive and attach to my VIrtual Ubuntu machine and e2fsk and fix for errors , In our locality 2 many random power cuts and USB not able to cope
4)/tmp/etc/config/fs.wanup yes , if i am not wrong it means it will run once wan is up ,

But currently i am not using it ,since newer Firmware have Ext2/3 driver support native

my startup config is
[/FONT][/COLOR]
Code:
]sleep 3[/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000][FONT=courier new][COLOR=#000000][FONT=courier new][COLOR=#000000][FONT=courier new][COLOR=#000000][FONT=courier new]mount /dev/sda2 /mnt[/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000][FONT=courier new][COLOR=#000000][FONT=courier new][COLOR=#000000][FONT=courier new][COLOR=#000000][FONT=courier new]sleep 3[/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000][FONT=courier new][COLOR=#000000][FONT=courier new][COLOR=#000000][FONT=courier new][COLOR=#000000][FONT=courier new]echo "nobody:*:65000:65000:nobody:/mnt:/bin/false" >> /etc/passwd # Add nobody for samba share[/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000][FONT=courier new][COLOR=#000000][FONT=courier new][COLOR=#000000][FONT=courier new][COLOR=#000000][FONT=courier new]echo 1 > /sys/class/scsi_disk/0:0:0:0/allow_restart # To avoid HDD spindown[/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000][FONT=courier new][COLOR=#000000][FONT=courier new][COLOR=#000000][FONT=courier new][COLOR=#000000][FONT=courier new]/opt/bin/transmission-daemon -g /mnt/data/torrents/.config/transmission-daemon[/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000][FONT=courier new][COLOR=#000000][FONT=courier new][COLOR=#000000][FONT=courier new][COLOR=#000000][FONT=courier new]echo 128 > /sys/block/sda/device/max_sectors[/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000][FONT=courier new][COLOR=#000000][FONT=courier new][COLOR=#000000][FONT=courier new][COLOR=#000000][FONT=courier new]python /opt/share/pyload/pyLoadCore.py[/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000][FONT=courier new][COLOR=#000000][FONT=courier new][COLOR=#000000][FONT=courier new][COLOR=#000000][FONT=courier new]

5) Mine also starting transmission via startup script [Shown above]

6)
Code:
[FONT=georgia][COLOR=#000000]Also, [FONT=courier new]the URL /URL invalidates the wget commands mentioned on the first page; one has to remove the URL /URL to be able to copy and paste the command in a terminal to run it.

Previously I did find that tag , was shoing it as Link itself , think he or forum made some change[/FONT][/FONT][/color]

x) I am using Latest version and i find it stable

DD-WRT v24-sp2 (05/27/13) std
(SVN revision 21676)

EDIT - I am tired editing my post , forum keep adding weired HTML Tag in my post >.>

@RajeshJ
Thanks for your reply.
Code:
sleep 15
cd /
mkdir mnt
mkdir /tmp/etc/config

wget http://home.karneval.cz/10102207/fs.gz -P /tmp/root

tar -xvzf /tmp/root/fs.gz -C /tmp/root

sh /tmp/root/ext3

mount -t ext2 -o rw,relatime /dev/sda1 /opt
insmod jbd.ko
insmod mbcache.ko
insmod ext3.ko

sleep 10
mount -t ext3 -o rw,relatime /dev/sda2 /mnt
rm /tmp/root/*.ko /tmp/root/fs.gz /tmp/root/ext3

sleep 100
/opt/bin/transmission-daemon -g /tmp/mnt/data/torrents/.config/transmission-daemon

This is my startup now.
Based on our earlier discussion, I did upgrade to build from April 2013, but it kept mounting my ext3 partition as ext2. After a few days it would mount the ext3 to ext2 in "ro" mode and obviously torrents wouldnt work anymore till I did an e2fsck on the disk.

So I downgraded to the build from 20/07/2012 as suggested by another user here, and it still would mount everything to ext2. Eventually I figured out from the "dmesg" output that the ext3 drivers were not getting loaded at all, so I added the the lines to explicitly insmod the fs drivers.

I haven't had to do an e2fsck since then, and I attribute that to ext3. Journaling is supposed to prevent data corruption from abrupt power failures/write interruptions. That is the reason why I had asked you if resumes work for you.

I dont think downgrading to the lower version actually served any purpose, because it must have been because of the missing fs drivers that the partition was mounted to ext2. So I think I will upgrade to the latest build again, but right now I am not taking the chance of changing a working config. I cant figure out why fs.wanup or S99trans would not run for me, still stuck with Samba2 + higher loads and cant get ftp to run; but transmission is working and so is data transfer with Samba.

@RajeshJ
Thanks for your reply.
Code:
sleep 15
cd /
mkdir mnt
mkdir /tmp/etc/config

wget http://home.karneval.cz/10102207/fs.gz -P /tmp/root

tar -xvzf /tmp/root/fs.gz -C /tmp/root

sh /tmp/root/ext3

mount -t ext2 -o rw,relatime /dev/sda1 /opt
insmod jbd.ko
insmod mbcache.ko
insmod ext3.ko

sleep 10
mount -t ext3 -o rw,relatime /dev/sda2 /mnt
rm /tmp/root/*.ko /tmp/root/fs.gz /tmp/root/ext3

sleep 100
/opt/bin/transmission-daemon -g /tmp/mnt/data/torrents/.config/transmission-daemon

This is my startup now.
Based on our earlier discussion, I did upgrade to build from April 2013, but it kept mounting my ext3 partition as ext2. After a few days it would mount the ext3 to ext2 in "ro" mode and obviously torrents wouldnt work anymore till I did an e2fsck on the disk.

So I downgraded to the build from 20/07/2012 as suggested by another user here, and it still would mount everything to ext2. Eventually I figured out from the "dmesg" output that the ext3 drivers were not getting loaded at all, so I added the the lines to explicitly insmod the fs drivers.

I haven't had to do an e2fsck since then, and I attribute that to ext3. Journaling is supposed to prevent data corruption from abrupt power failures/write interruptions. That is the reason why I had asked you if resumes work for you.

I dont think downgrading to the lower version actually served any purpose, because it must have been because of the missing fs drivers that the partition was mounted to ext2. So I think I will upgrade to the latest build again, but right now I am not taking the chance of changing a working config. I cant figure out why fs.wanup or S99trans would not run for me, still stuck with Samba2 + higher loads and cant get ftp to run; but transmission is working and so is data transfer with Samba.

Do u really need ftp?
by enabling file sharing like this below , u can open ur /Mnt partition by

typing following in start>Run

\\192.168.1.1\

From here u can graphically copy paste files and folders

After doing Fresh installation , i further reduced installed packages by installing only Transmission and its pre-requested packages

Untitled.png

Code:
root@DD-WRT:~# ipkg list_installed
ipkg-opt - 0.99.163-10 - The Itsy Package Manager
libcurl - 7.24.0-1 - Curl is a command line tool for transferring files with URL syntax, supporting FTP, FTPS, HTTP, HTTPS, GOPHER, TELNET, DICT, FI
libevent - 2.0.20-1 - libevent to implement an event loop
openssl - 0.9.7m-6 - Openssl provides the ssl implementation in libraries libcrypto and libssl, and is needed by many other applications and librari
transmission - 2.77-1 - Lightweight BitTorrent client and daemon, with web interface bundled.
uclibc-opt - 0.9.28-13 - micro C library for embedded Linux systems
zlib - 1.2.5-1 - zlib is a library implementing the 'deflate' compression system.

ps

Code:
root@DD-WRT:~# ps
  PID USER      VSZ STAT COMMAND
    1 root      1672 S    /sbin/init noinitrd
    2 root        0 SW  [kthreadd]
    3 root        0 SW  [ksoftirqd/0]
    5 root        0 SW  [kworker/u:0]
    6 root        0 SW<  [khelper]
    7 root        0 SW  [sync_supers]
    8 root        0 SW  [bdi-default]
    9 root        0 SW<  [kblockd]
  10 root        0 SW  [kswapd0]
  11 root        0 SW  [fsnotify_mark]
  12 root        0 SW<  [crypto]
  24 root        0 SW  [mtdblock0]
  25 root        0 SW  [mtdblock1]
  26 root        0 SW  [mtdblock2]
  27 root        0 SW  [mtdblock3]
  28 root        0 SW  [mtdblock4]
  29 root        0 SW  [mtdblock5]
  30 root        0 SW  [kworker/u:1]
  37 root        0 SW  [kworker/0:1]
  246 root      796 S    /sbin/hotplug2 --set-rules-file /etc/hotplug2.rules --persistent
  287 root        0 SW  [khubd]
  297 root        0 SW<  [dwc_otg]
  311 root        0 SW  [scsi_eh_0]
  313 root        0 SW  [usb-storage]
  320 root        0 SW  [kworker/0:2]
  415 root      1036 S    -sh
  432 root        0 SW  [flush-8:0]
  509 root      1028 R    ps
  577 root      2852 S    /usr/sbin/nmbd -D --configfile=/tmp/smb.conf
  580 root      3036 S    /usr/sbin/smbd -D --configfile=/tmp/smb.conf
  584 root        0 SW  [RtmpCmdQTask]
  642 root      1028 S    telnetd
  660 root      856 S    dnsmasq --conf-file=/tmp/dnsmasq.conf
  673 root      792 S    cron
  688 root      1668 S    ttraff
1172 root      2548 S    httpd -p 80
1196 root      1732 S    resetbutton
1238 root      1664 S    process_monitor
1356 root      5488 S    /opt/bin/transmission-daemon -g /mnt/data/torrents/.config/transmission-daemon
1358 root      5488 S    /opt/bin/transmission-daemon -g /mnt/data/torrents/.config/transmission-daemon
1359 root      5488 S    /opt/bin/transmission-daemon -g /mnt/data/torrents/.config/transmission-daemon
1370 root      5488 S    /opt/bin/transmission-daemon -g /mnt/data/torrents/.config/transmission-daemon
1650 root      796 S    udhcpc -i vlan2 -p /var/run/udhcpc.pid -s /tmp/udhcpc

IF ext3 partition really fixes error (self heals) then i will try to Reformat my drive to ext3 or ext4 , currently dipending on power cuts , iam forced to unmount Drive and do checkdisk from Ubuntu frequently

I have already configured Samba and it works fine, get around 4/4.5 MBps on average. I got the same/slightly better(5MBps avg) speeds with FTP when it worked, plus I have read that Samba is a major resource hog. So ultimately I would want to get rid of Samba and use FTP only.

I can see that you have reduced the number of installed optware packages, last time it was around 50.

As for ext3, I would strongly suggest you use it (it is simple, just run e2fsck -y /dev/sdXX to correct all errors and then run tune2fs -j /dev/sdXX to add the journal, no formatting :) ) . Unmounting drive often and running e2fsck must be really irritating since the check normally takes a lot of time. I have a 32GB USB stick connected, and the check typically runs for 15-20 minutes. I saw the hdd spindown line in your startup, so I guess you are using a mechanical USB HDD, and it must be taking a lot longer to run e2fsck on a large HDD.

Journaling is meant to improve availability and data integrity. What it does is it discards the incompletely written block in case of an failed write and keeps the filesystem consistent, so you recover from a power failure with a simple journal check which lasts about 30 seconds in Linux, instead of a full FS check on ext2 which can last for hours in case of huge HDDs.

@RajeshJ & @dinjo
I checked it, There is no hash check done. still CPU load is going to 100 % with just 2 downloads of torrents & transmission aborts.

Is there any way to reduce the load ? I see things running during "PS" command, Do you recommand stopping or uninstalling any ?

@RajeshJ & @dinjo
I checked it, There is no hash check done. still CPU load is going to 100 % with just 2 downloads of torrents & transmission aborts.

Is there any way to reduce the load ? I see things running during "PS" command, Do you recommand stopping or uninstalling any ?
From putty ,or telnet
try
ps and dmesg and post screen shot here

Samba should give you 10Mbps of speed if you using Samba 3+ downgrade to Samba 2 its much faster
I have Samba2, and yes it should give me 10mbps, but I am getting 4-4.5mbps in practice. It could also be a network issue, but I can live with 4-4.5mbps, since I am using only a 32GB USB stick and I transfer about a 1-2GB at a time.

I have already configured Samba and it works fine, get around 4/4.5 MBps on average. I got the same/slightly better(5MBps avg) speeds with FTP when it worked, plus I have read that Samba is a major resource hog. So ultimately I would want to get rid of Samba and use FTP only.

I can see that you have reduced the number of installed optware packages, last time it was around 50.

As for ext3, I would strongly suggest you use it (it is simple, just run e2fsck -y /dev/sdXX to correct all errors and then run tune2fs -j /dev/sdXX to add the journal, no formatting :) ) . Unmounting drive often and running e2fsck must be really irritating since the check normally takes a lot of time. I have a 32GB USB stick connected, and the check typically runs for 15-20 minutes. I saw the hdd spindown line in your startup, so I guess you are using a mechanical USB HDD, and it must be taking a lot longer to run e2fsck on a large HDD.

Journaling is meant to improve availability and data integrity. What it does is it discards the incompletely written block in case of an failed write and keeps the filesystem consistent, so you recover from a power failure with a simple journal check which lasts about 30 seconds in Linux, instead of a full FS check on ext2 which can last for hours in case of huge HDDs.

Formated /mnt to ext3 and working Perfectly after using ext3 driver download method from 1st post

Working without explicitly insmodding the filesystems then? I wonder why I have to insmod them.

In any case check after an unclean unmount of the FS and I am sure you wouldn't have inconsistencies.

has anyone got the cron jobs working.
to start and stop transmission at a given time or even pause and resume torrents will do.
got crappy broadband plans.
got a shutdown script but dont know how to run it at a given time

chmod 777 /opt/etc/shutdown.sh
Code:
http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/45104910/shutdown.sh

Install webmin, very easy to configure cronjobs using it.

Er.. my bad, i thought this was the pogoplug thread. I don't know whether you can do that on the router.

Hi

I have a requirement for my Asus RT N13U B router flashed with DD-WRT.

Is there any way of knowing how long my internet has been up (not the router) and over a period of, say a month, how many times it has gone down and for how long? In other words, an Uptime report for a period.

I have a PPPoE connection that often goes down, however the local internet service provider says that it is always Up and working and the fault is on my side. I need a report to prove him wrong.

One way I can think of achieving this is to create a Cron job that pings some IP address (such as google.com) every 5 minutes and dumps the results (timestamp with success or failure status) in a csv file. I can then download the csv file and view it in Excel to do further calculations manually.

I do not have any idea on how to do all of the above or if there is a better way to do it.

Would welcome any suggestions from experts here.

Thanks

Could you tell me what plugin it is and if possible, links to get it?

It is not for the ISP but I would see how much downtime they are having and then take it up to them and ask them to provide better service. Right now, I do not have any proof to show them that their internet service goes down far too often.

Back