Graphic Cards Asus GTX960 DC2OC STRIX Edition Temperatures?

Jun 9, 2015
I recently purchased the GTX 960 strix from lamington road. Installation was simple. No issues. I read many reviews which say temperatures of the Asus GTX 960 are ~ 40C when idle and ~60C under load. My GPU idles at 50-55C and goes upto 72-78C under load. Is this normal. Also since im in mumbai is it possible the actual weather is giving me higher temps? Also the memory clock keeps hitting maximum very often even without the gpu being under load.

Crapmypants

Adept
Dec 13, 2014
your temps are well within normal limits. that being said, ambient temps and air-flow also make a difference.
improving airflow can help as your idle temps are higher than what others reported.
what case are you using?

Reactions: Rayvonne Gonsalves

iamnew

Adept
Feb 22, 2009
If you have installed asus gpu tweak software you can increase the fan speed manually.The temps look a little bit high than normal.

Jun 9, 2015
Actually using a no brand case. Its some dhruv gaming cabinet. It has 1 front 120mm fan using as intake. One side 120mm fan intake again. And one 80mm fan using as exhaust at the rear. My case also has option to add one more side fan of 120mm.

goDofWar_skr

Adept
Nov 29, 2014
Bangalore
You need to have a good exhaust fan for proper air flow... Use some cooler master sickleflow 90cfm fans if possible at the back or the top...
To figure out whether the airflow is really the root cause, just open up the side panel of your cabinet and check the temps again... If they are significantly lower then consider investing a little in the exhaust fans...
Cable management also matters a bit so that the front intake is able to blow air into the cabinet properly...
You can also post your cabinet pics which will give us more idea...

Jun 9, 2015
Actuallu yes. I did open the cabinet to only realize that my exhaust fan was disconnected, maybe i must have forgotten to connect it. But still after connecting gpu is @50C idle. I shifted my cabinet and opened the side panel, the temp dropped to 44-45C at idle and was @65-70C under load. Thanks for the suggetion. Do you feel that i need to go in for a new cabinet or these temps will be fine?[DOUBLEPOST=1437031724][/DOUBLEPOST]Is it fine if i tune my gpu fans to stay at 90% speed when it is at 70C?

Last edited:

goDofWar_skr

Adept
Nov 29, 2014
Bangalore
I have been using a gtx 660 for over an year and half now... Previously I had a simple zebronics cabinet with no airflow and temps were 50-55C idle and 80C at load... Then I switched to a cooler master elite cabinet which allowed me to add intake and exhaust fans... Then the temps dropped drastically...
As of now I have 1 X 120mm intake and 3 X 120mm exhaust fans (all of them are 90cfm and directly connected to psu) so they run at max rpm always and the temps I see are 34C idle and 72C on load...
So to summarize, better cabinet and airflow helps a lot in cooling... And nowadays within 2-2.5k you get very decent cabinets...
As long as the max temps you see are not above 85-90C, there is no problem... But idle temps around 50-55 will make the room in which the computer is located a lot warmer, its good in winter though.. :p
Also fans at 90% when the temps reach 70C is not a problem too... you can tune it using msi afterburner and create a fan profile... but there will be a lot of noise...

Jun 9, 2015
Thanks for the detailed reply. Will try and upgrade the cabinet to a better one, but currenty do not have cash as i spent it all on getting the best gpu and psu for 19k. So will see in about some months time. Till then will keep fans speed a bit higher. Also does msi afterburner work with asus gpu?

Crapmypants

Adept
Dec 13, 2014
yes, msi afterburner will work on almost all gpus. it works on mine (sapphire).
looks like its simply airflow so a a case with space for exhaust fans on the top will be most effective.
since money is tight, you can keep the side panel open for now.
p.s. when you do, try to get 120mm fans if possible. i find the noise difference b/w them and 80mm fans to be large.

the extreme option :D
funny-computer-cpu-fan-cooling-system-funny-indian-jugaad.jpg

Jun 9, 2015
Im thinking of getting a proper 120mm fan for the cabinet to exhaust. The 80mm one is too noisy and my cabinet vibrates making the metal rattling sound. Also one noticable thing is that the gpu's clock always keep shooting high also the memory clock like say it goes to max after every 5-10 seconds[DOUBLEPOST=1437063319][/DOUBLEPOST]Problem solved: I dont know why but i set my windows theme to default and the gpu temps came down. The clocks no longer reach max and this has brought temps down significantly. Idle temps: 37C to 40C
Load Temps: 60C to 67C(MAX)

Last edited:

Chaos

Skilled
Jan 29, 2005
What driver are you on? Use 353.38 - its the most stable driver and fixed a lot of driver crashes.

Crapmypants

Adept
Dec 13, 2014
Problem solved: I dont know why but i set my windows theme to default and the gpu temps came down. The clocks no longer reach max and this has brought temps down significantly. Idle temps: 37C to 40C
that's an amazing reduction with just a software tweak. looks like extra load on the vram by themes.
Have you tried with other settings/themes? the reason i ask is because it seems very interesting that you were able to see a dramatic change in your temps by such a small simple tweak. if one could figure out why the theme does this then i'm sure other gtx 960 owners can get some benefit. it might even work for other gpu's too. i think a big clue is the change in memory speed clocking up/down.

Jun 9, 2015
Im using the 353.30 driver and there seems to be no update. Actually i had some forza motorsport theme downloaded and i think that was causing the memory clock speed to frequently change. I disabled the theme and the gpu clock came down significantly resulting in lower temps. The least temp i have got till now is 36C which i guess is pretty much the least it can go.

Chaos

Skilled
Jan 29, 2005
Im using the 353.30 driver and there seems to be no update. Actually i had some forza motorsport theme downloaded and i think that was causing the memory clock speed to frequently change. I disabled the theme and the gpu clock came down significantly resulting in lower temps. The least temp i have got till now is 36C which i guess is pretty much the least it can go.
353.30 is the most rubbish driver ever released by NVIDIA barring the GPU killing ones. Causes TDRs on most cards. Get this instead.

https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3694/~/geforce-hotfix-driver-353.38