Asus EEE PC Review

Asus EEE PC Review

So, finally, after giving it a lot of thought, I decided to go for the EEE PC.
As the black one didn’t appeal much to me, I went for the Pearl White one.
It looks damn cool and sleek.
After getting it, I was waiting to reach home and start some RnD on it.
Got it for 16.7k in Mumbai.

Specs

Model Name- Eee PC 4G
Price (INR)- 16,700.
Memory (RAM) 512 MB (DDR2 SO-DIMM)
Solid-State Drive- 4 GB (soldered
Built-in Webcam-VGA (640×480) @ 30 fps
Battery- 4 Cells: 5200 mAh, 3~3.5hrs*
Storage Expansion- External MMC(plus)/SD(HC) slot
Display- 7”; WVGA (800×480) @ 133.3 PPI
CPU- 900 MHz Intel Celeron M ULV 353 @ 630 MHz
Operating System- Custom Linux OS (Xandros
Wired Networking- 10/100 Mbps Ethernet
Wireless Networking- 802.11b/g Wi-Fi (PCIe)
Internal Modem- External RJ-11 connector present but internal MDC board not populated
USB Ports- 3 external
External Display- VGA D-SUB (up to 1600×1280)
Audio- High Definition Audio with built-in stereo speakers and built-in microphone
Weight- 0.92 kg

[BREAK=First Look]
First Look

It comes bundled with a customised Xandros distro.
I fiddled with it for quite some time.
It’s very zippy and fast. No lags.
Browsing the web, Playing some mp3s, movies didn’t seem to stress it much.
The TouchPad is quite responsive, again better than many lappy’s I ve used.
The keyboard is also very usable. It’s amazing as to how Asus has crammed a fully functional keyboard in this space.
The sound volume is too good. Better than most lappy’s I ve heard.
The Wi-fi works like a charm, and the Webcam gives a decent FPS of 17-20 when capturing video @ 640*480.
The UI, though babyish, is ideal for beginners to get acquainted with computers.
My Mom, on first seeing it went “Ooooooooooooohh! It’s so cute.” Even though She was never interested in computers, she looked eager to use this one.
The UI is veryyy intuitive (read: N00bish :p) .
Finally I got too bored, (never liked Xandros anyways.) and was thinking whether to try out
Full Desktop Mode in Xandros, or install XP on it.
I decided on the latter as I was curious to see If this baby could handle XP as good as it is made out to be.

[BREAK=Installing XPeee]

Installing XPeee

I had my own apprehensions as how will the EEE run XP on just a 630mhz proccy/512mb RAM.
So I trimmed XP PRO SP2 a bit using NLITE to a 331mb Setup size.
Then, as I didn’t have an external IDE/SATA casing, I used a 1GB Kingston DT to install XP on the EEE.
Followed this guide: EEEguides.com: Install Windows XP on the Asus Eee PC
It’s quite easy, So I won’t elaborate on that.
So after about 40 mins I had XP up and running.
Removed the Pagefile, turned off System Restore, and Removed the Recycle Bin to get some extra space on the measly 4GB SSD.
Installed the drivers from the bundled Asus DVD.
So now I had 3.17GB left with just the OS+Drivers installed. That’s quite decent IMO.
Then I installed some Apps like Opera, Firefox, Trillan, Office XP, VLC, Foxit, Winrar, Klite Codec Pack, Relo with Borland, TC, JDK 1.6, Netbeans 5.5.1, Matlab etc.
After all this I had about 2.24 GB left.
Coming back to the performance part, XP runs like makhhan on this. It is so light and zippy that you ll have to see it to believe it.
You can easily Multitask 3-4 apps without any lags.
The Sound quality is loud and clear and Video (Divx/Xvid) playback is light as well. Though don’t expect it to do 720p. :p
The 630mhz proccy does exceptionally good, maybe due to the presence of a SSD.
Netbeans and Matlab, very unexpectedly, runs fast enough on it.
Also when you are on AC, You can OC the proccy to 900mhz using EEECtl/EEEClock to get some extra power without losing battery life.
You can use the AstrayPlus utility to get better resolutions. They are working on 1000*600 currently.
Will try eeeXubuntu and eeeDora on it as soon as I get time.
Can’t wait to see Compiz on this. :D

[BREAK=Final Thoughts]

Final Thoughts

The Asus EEE PC is a very viable option for students and regular travellers who need a right mix of portability and power at a cheap price.
It is good for casual usage (Movies,MP3s,Browsing,Office,Downloads).
The small SSD may seem to be a hindrance, but it is very manageable. I still have around 1.5gb space left with all my stuff(Some Apps, Flash games, Songs,) in it.
It might be handy to have a 4/8GB Flash Drive/ SDHC around for extra storage.
Will run a few benchmarks on it soon. (Didn’t want to humiliate it by posting the SuperPi 1M score here :p )
PS. Get used to a lot of stares whenever you use it. :D

Pros:
Very Portable
Cheapest Functional Laptop
Shock-Resistant
Sleek and Sexy

Cons:
4GB SSD Size
630mhz proccy (But you don’t expect a beast at this Price/Size, Do you?)
Review: Asus EEE PC India
[BREAK=Images]

Images

Congrats for your new baby..I am repenting my decision to buy the EEE in Germany as it is completely out of stock here and is not expected soon.Infact they are suggesting waiting for a couple of months and buying the 9 inch version and I think that would be the right thing to do!

i dont like to say it...but i TOLD u so :rofl: i even linked you to the thread sayin how poor european availability was ;) better to wait for the newer version now i guess...unless u absolutely MUST have it :)

Yep. That would be a better choice. The new 8.9"ers would be $499-599 at launch with the new diamondville proccys and 12gb ssds.. Good luck with your EEE. :)

Yea..a person in a big, reputed shop said that it should be in the stores around June and should be around 349 to 369 Euros!!

Does this have open Office, more precisely, will it run OO well, for making presentations and write ups?
Can it be connected to multimedia projector?
And it doesn't have a CD drive I guess. By the way, is it available in India?

1. openoffice, i guess yes. else u can prob install it. OR just put XP on it ;)

2. YES, it has VGA-out.

3. No CD drive. it doesn have 3USB ports. so ucan connect an external CD/drive in a extenal case to it.

4. Yes, available at chroma retail stores n also with some other dealers. ~ 16-17k

Thanks techie

^^^ I would never install XP on it. But I learnt it has OO as default office suite, So I guess that wont be a problem.

By the way I learn't that EEE PC 2.0 is just around the corner.

I bought asus EEE(black color) from smc international delhi @ 15800rs.I like his speed in window xp with 1 gb ram:eek:hyeah:

Back