Skilled
Dec 19, 2008
crosshairvboxtop.jpg

Ov3rLoRd

Adept
Dec 28, 2008
Re: Guess who is in the house??? ;)

:O congrats

Any special reason for thread being in this section ?

mav2000

Skilled
Dec 19, 2008

Testing and review only... Any benchmarks you want please let me know, within reason...
I am comparing it to the CH IV for all practicle purposes.

pratikb

Skilled
Mar 2, 2011

storage benchmark and power draw.

two things i always check.

i would suggest some nice storage benchmark as in not some synthetic test but real world scenarios.

thanks buddy.

you also must have got some bd/llanno?

mav2000

Skilled
Dec 19, 2008

Thanks, but it's more for testing. Can you be more specific about which storage benchmark?

mav2000

Skilled
Dec 19, 2008

So lets start with the unboxing. The Asus CH V comes in a very similar packaging compared to the CH IV.
crosshairvboxtop.jpg

The main thing to note at the bottom of the board is the Nvidia SLI logo...which is great news for AMD fans who would like to have the option of using SLI (basically not for me). This is a game changer for AMD, even though there were hacks available to run SLI on previous boards, it was not as easy as it is now. The rest of the logos remian the same with the addition of the 9 series chipset logo. Funnily, there is no mention of Bulldozer or FX on the cover and it sports the Phenom II logo instead.
Moving on to the back of the box:
S9v8L.jpg

The rear of the box extolls some of the features of this beast and also mentions the FX CPU compatibility. The other interesting features on the rear of the box is the HT 3.0 support as well as the memory compatibility, showing a staggering DDR3 2133 OC profile as well. This is great news for the AMD bandwagon as the Bulldozer chips seem to run better with memory now. Below that we get a confirmation of a 3 way SLI on Nvidia as well as Crossfire.

The pictures on the left side are also very intersting as they show a couple of features which we will discuss later on in this review as well, but this is the first time that we see a UEFI Bios for an AMD board and a DIgi+ VRM section. Finally, AMD gets some motherboard love.

The front of the box opens up to give us the first glimpse of the new board as well as details of the software bundled and some more data on the features.

t5xh2.jpg

Happy to see free Daemon Tools Pro bundled along with the board, as its something most of us use on a regular basis. More details on the supreme X-fi 2 can also be seen here and at the very bottom of the snap you can see some of the more prominent features of the UEFI Bios. I will be showing you the bios in a lot of detail, so hang on for that.

Moving on to the accessories...well there is a whole lot of stuff with the board:

iOJkn.jpg

Lets start with a crap load of Sata 2/3 cable, 3 way SLI and Crossfire cables, ROG connect cable, backplate, user guide, software CD, front panel connector holders (very useful BTW) a small ROG sticker and a large side panel sticker, They have also thrown in some cable ties as well and I had hoped for black or red ones this time around, but that was not to be...

So that finishes our unboxing, now we will move on to the board itself.

Again, if you are looking for any specific benchmarks, please let me know, as the baord will be on its way back before the weekend.

Thanks for reading.