CPU/Mobo Assembly CPU- Heat Sink Fan Help needed !

prince_20003

Disciple
hello guys...

soon i will be getting my PC parts and i need some knowledge regrding assembly...
i havent ssembled a complete system before...
i even cant ask my local PC dealers as m goin to get it from lammy..u kno ego problems :mad:
main query is:

"I will be going for phenom II 945,so I need to know whether the heatsink+fan that comes with processor has the THERMAL PASTE LAYER ready at Processor interface(i mean below fan)"

"Also if there is that layer present then still do i need to pour additional thermal paste on processor before assembling "

becoz in some videos on youtube they said that if that layer is present ready with heatsink then no need to apply extra thermal paste.....

Plzzz guyss help me out with this confusion ......:S

Honestly I would not trust the company applied TIM. Buy a tube when you pick up your system. Remove the company applied TIM from the HSF using Isopropyl Alcohol. Now spread a very thin layer on the docked CPU, and mount the CPU.

asingh said:
Honestly I would not trust the company applied TIM. Buy a tube when you pick up your system. Remove the company applied TIM from the HSF using Isopropyl Alcohol. Now spread a very thin layer on the docked CPU, and mount the CPU.
whats commercial name of isopropyl alcohol

and suggest some good thermal paste name ....

Its well known as IPA , in Ritche st

When i told the expanded name, they just couldnt relate :p

Arctic MX-2 - 345 from TE Dealer

Dont use cotton, use some polyester garment cloth

prince_20003 said:
can i use plain cotton with isopropyl alcohol or some cloth or sponge??

wats approx cost of arctic silver??

Just use a hanky or a kitchen rag (clean). Simple. No rocket science here. Or ear buds do fine also.

can someone provide me detailed desktop assembly procedure or videos .....rather good videos not those like on youtube...some of them r really nasty

Just apply a drop of it in center and install the heatsink.Installing heatsink isn't hard just make sure you put the lock properly.Make sure the heatsink doesn't moves at all after it is installed.Pressure from heatsink will spread the thermal paste.

pavasedge said:
Just apply a drop of it in center and install the heatsink.Installing heatsink isn't hard just make sure you put the lock properly.Make sure the heatsink doesn't moves at all after it is installed.Pressure from heatsink will spread the thermal paste.
what should i do with layer of paste which comes intact with heatsink? should i wipe out that or left as it is n apply drop ??

prince_20003 said:
what should i do with layer of paste which comes intact with heatsink? should i wipe out that or left as it is n apply drop ??

Honestly I would not trust the company applied TIM. Buy a tube when you pick up your system. Remove the company applied TIM from the HSF using Isopropyl Alcohol. Now spread a very thin layer on the docked CPU, and mount the CPU

prince_20003 said:
Honestly I would not trust the company applied TIM. Buy a tube when you pick up your system. Remove the company applied TIM from the HSF using Isopropyl Alcohol. Now spread a very thin layer on the docked CPU, and mount the CPU

okk ...

now tell guys how to protect critical parts like CPU from getting damaged due to eletrostatic electricity from hands or other things while assembly....

can i use surgical gloves while handling these delicate parts to protect from electrostatic charge?

^^

You can use bare your hands, no issue. Obviously make sure no component is plugged into a power socket while assembling. As a rule do not put the bottom of any PCB on a hard surface, use the soft foam sheet you get with the motherboard, or a smooth piece of thick cloth. The board might have an anti-static bag, that can be used as buffer too. When you are ready to dock the CPU, only then remove the plastic cover from the motherboard socket, and immediately place it. Do not leave it exposed/open. Rest is simple. Follow the manual. Else we are here. Keep an open net connection, so you can query up stuff, when confused.

asingh said:
^^
You can use bare your hands, no issue. Obviously make sure no component is plugged into a power socket while assembling. As a rule do not put the bottom of any PCB on a hard surface, use the soft foam sheet you get with the motherboard, or a smooth piece of thick cloth. The board might have an anti-static bag, that can be used as buffer too. When you are ready to dock the CPU, only then remove the plastic cover from the motherboard socket, and immediately place it. Do not leave it exposed/open. Rest is simple. Follow the manual. Else we are here. Keep an open net connection, so you can query up stuff, when confused.
Thanks a lot asingh... :)

surely my lappy will be on with net connection ....i will catch u ppl if any problem comes :( ...hopefully not :hap5:

Back