Assembling a Super PC | Calling all super Techies of TE

vaibhav1 said:
Asus P8P67 PRO B3 - 12500

or

Asus P8P67 B3 - 10500

Both are almost same. i would say pro but that doesn't mean's that non pro is not good.

and as i said P67 series boards are best for overclocking and even very easy to overclock.:)

^^ The Sandy-Bridge platform in itself is very easy to over-clock, it hasn't come out decisively which chipset is better overall P67 OR Z68 -- Virtu's Great, Caching Is Questionable : The Intel Z68 Express Review: A Real Enthusiast Chipset / AnandTech - Intel Z68 Chipset & Smart Response Technology (SSD Caching) Review / Intel Z68 Review - The Sandy Bridge Platform Expands - Page 10.

Intel's Z68 should have been the one and only high end launch chipset offered with Sandy Bridge. It enables all of the configurations we could possibly want with Sandy Bridge and does so without making any sacrifices. Users should be able to overclock their CPU and use integrated graphics if they'd like. While Z68 gives us pretty much exactly what we asked for, it is troubling that we even had to ask for it in the first place. With Intel holding onto a considerable performance advantage and a growing manufacturing advantage, I am worried that this may be a sign of things to come. It was strong competition from AMD that pushed Intel into executing so flawlessly time and time again, but it also put Intel in a position where it can enforce limits on things like overclocking. Let's hope that Z68 corrected a mistake that we won't see repeated.

^^ Nothing against MSi in person, they have a good service network here in India [personal experience] + most products are strategically targeted and tactically priced so, for our[Indian] market, but their products have been known to have a few build and technical issues, my card got RMA-ed because the GPU and its heatsink weren't in proper contact so after soldiering for 3 months the card got toasted and gave up, took two weeks for them to replace it, but no complaints and no hassles to report.

So keep MSi as an option but only after there are no compelling threats to it form ASUS / Gigabyte OR Intel [in this case].

ALPHA17 said:

Ok I thought P67 series mobo's where made for overclocking purpose just increase the multiplier and voltage and you are done. it ain't that easy in Z68 boards. am i rite, or you have to say something here.? this was the main quality of P67 series boards.

and in Z68 Intel's SRT technology is the main quality for which you need a 64 GB SSD i guess. and PCIE 3.0 is also available and you can even upgrade to ivy bridge this option is only available in some z68 boards and let me tell you they aren't cheap.

so if you want to overclock go for P67 boards. and sandy bridge's are proccy's are not overclock able only K series is overclock able and i think if you are buying a K series Proccy then go for P67 series mobo and if you are not buying K series then go for Z68 or if you want to go cheap then H67 series mobo's. do i need to explain more.? i guess not.

so if you want to overclock go for P67 boards. and sandy bridge's are proccy's are not overclock able only K series is overclock able and i think if you are buying a K series Proccy then go for P67 series mobo and if you are not buying K series then go for Z68 or if you want to go cheap then H67 series mobo's. do i need to explain more.? i guess not.

^^ You are next to incoherent over here, the Z68 is a fusion platform which Intel was supposed to give the most mainstream users, I mean their k marked processors come with the HD 3000 IGP which is twice as powerful as the standard HD 2000 they bundle on the rest of their CPU's [exclude the Core i3 2120 as it is a later release], so let us say you aren't really interested in over-clocking but you want to have that option open + you need to use the HD 3000 IGP then going for P67 means you curtail the ability to use your IGP OR

you go for the H67 chipset and do not over-clock, either ways you loose, so in a compromise move, the Intel Z68 was released, the over-clocking strictures are the same [you adjust the BLCK multiplier + voltage tweaks] the same way the most basic over-clocks are carried out on the AMD Black Edition processors. So for not much of a price difference, you get --

1) Lucid Virtu, for a virtual graphics card [pretty nifty feature, seen it in a action and it shows promise]
Virtu may sound great but the whole experience can be likened to a cake that’s not quite yet ready to come out of the oven; it may taste good in a half baked state but it’ll likely taste even better once it has time to finish. Even though Lucid’s technology is maturing at a breakneck pace, its benefits are almost non-existent right now and setting it up requires jumping through far too many hoops. There are also some obvious compatibility concerns when using iGPU mode regardless of its ability to seriously cut down on power consumption in some situations. This will likely change in the future since Virtu has the potential to be an excellent tool but we currently find its inclusion rather pointless on enthusiast and gaming-grade motherboards. Aside from some notable media transcoding benefits, Virtu is currently too buggy to have anything but limited use in most real world scenarios. Plus, with NVIDIA’s own desktop switching technology right around the corner, Lucid needs to step things up in a big way.
-- Intel Z68 Review - The Sandy Bridge Platform Expands - Page 10,

2) Intel Smart Response Technology for better SSD caching and other allied improvements Intel Z68 Review - The Sandy Bridge Platform Expands - Page 2,

3) PCi-E 3.0 slots [not really sure what to make of them but they seem to be like the jump from PCi-E 1.1 --> 2.0 --> 2.1, backward compatibility on all formats and no hiccups until and unless you are hooking up an Intel 965 chipset + Core 2Duo E 6400 + GTX 580 and hoping for high performance, it is not going to make the cut],

4) all Intel chipsets H67 / P67 / Z68 and beefed up releases of the H61 will support Ivy-Bridge -- AnandTech - Intel's Ivy Bridge Architecture Exposed.

Ivy Bridge is backwards compatible with existing LGA-1155 motherboards, although there will be a new chipset for Ivy Bridge and new motherboards to enable some features (e.g. PCI Express 3.0, native USB 3.0). The new chipset family falls under the 7-series banner. We'll see Z77, Z75, H77, Q77, Q75 and B75 available at or around launch.

Oh and all these so called locked out features will be implemented by companies like ASUS, Gigabyte and MSi on the Z68 chipset, sure it isn't going to be cheap but better than chucking the whole system out like what happened, when the P5* and H5* line-up [Lynnfield family] was removed by the P6* / H6* [Sandy-Bridge family] line-up .

Hope this clears the air.

OK guys I got the point.What do you suggest and recommend in my scenario.

IF i do not overclock how much will the cpu+mobo cost

If i plan to overclock how much will it cost.

The thing is my employees will be using this for designing..So i need to explain them how to overcock(Is this a setting????)

Also is it possible to have a motherboard which automatically unlocks the kseries proccy when on demand as i am not sure if my staff would overclock

Sorry to be such a noob

P.S : Thanks a Ton guys.Really appreciate the help

i5 2500k - 11500 / i7 2600k - 16500
Asus p8p67 - 11300 / Asus p8z68 - 14200
Gskill 8gb [2x4gb] - 3100
Dell 23" LED Model ST2320L - 9600
Corsair CX600 V2 - 3900
Sapphire HD 6850 - 9500 / HD 6790 - 8800
Cabinet - NZXT Gamma / Source - 2300

Back