Votes: 8 15.1%
  • Athiest

Votes: 15 28.3%
  • Agnostic Theist

• Agnostic Athiest

• Total voters
Have you read/seen Life of Pi? It has an interesting take on this. While not talking about how belief effects others, it does put forward a reason as to why one may choose to believe.

I haven't seen Life of Pi.

"I think that the 'make life hell for others' people will continue to do so even outside a society which is built around religion/God."
I am exactly of the same opinion.

I think that the 'make life hell for others' people will continue to do so even outside a society which is built around religion/God.
Yes, but not with justification. Not with the expectation to somehow being rewarded for it. Not with feeling superior about castigating others.

“An atheist is someone who is certain that God does not exist, someone who has compelling evidence against the existence of God. I know of no such compelling evidence. Because God can be relegated to remote times and places and to ultimate causes, we would have to know a great deal more about the universe than we do now to be sure that no such God exists. To be certain of the existence of God and to be certain of the nonexistence of God seem to me to be the confident extremes in a subject so riddled with doubt and uncertainty as to inspire very little confidence indeed.”-- Carl Sagan

The idea of god need not be given much more importance than which other fantasy creatures enjoy.

Even atheists are trapped in a reactive ridicule to theism, rather than taking an active stand and stating -- "There is no God."

The burden of proof should be on the one who claims it.[DOUBLEPOST=1374580463][/DOUBLEPOST]Also, I don't see anyone saying "I believe/disbelieve in Thor" or "I believe/disbelieve in the Sun God."

Even in gods, they give importance to the one they want to. The concept of "one god" is itself another "idea of god," just like there were many other such ideas before it.

But does ill doers always bother about justification ? They may have their own selfish or ignorant horn to toot.
Yes, they will. Otherwise why will they bother to visit temples, take a dip in Ganges, go to Haj, or repent for their sins?

Are the ill doers ready to blow themselves up without being rewarded a place in heaven?

Or having slaves as a plan to follow god's orders? Or deny people they deem unequal the right to live with freedom in society?

Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion. -- Steven Weinberg

^^ Looks you misunderstood my statement.

When I said "But does ill doers always bother about justification ? They may have their own selfish or ignorant horn to toot.", I was referring to ill doers from non-religious background - For eg., Stalin was an Athiest, Hitler was religious.
As for me, I consider religious and non-religious humans the same. Both will find their own reasons to do bad things which benefits them.

Even if there is a God or supreme being, I don't think he affects life in any way, and life just follows its own course.

You may be born in this world in certain circumstances, good or bad. But I do believe that you have a tremendous amount of power and control over the rest of your life! Life will change depending on your choices and hard work, and has nothing do with God because he isn't intervening in your life.

Even if there is a God or supreme being, I don't think he affects life in any way, and life just follows its own course.

You may be born in this world in certain circumstances, good or bad. But I do believe that you have a tremendous amount of power and control over the rest of your life! Life will change depending on your choices and hard work, and has nothing do with God because he isn't intervening in your life.

and that my friend is called the "principle of Karma" "Whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap."

My opinion:
Principle of Karma is only for religious believers. Its root is based in religion.
For people who don't believe in god, there is no such thing. There is no repeating cycles of life. You are born (and die) just once in this world.

and that my friend is called the "principle of Karma" "Whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap."

Karma is a very narrow-minded principle, and it is also very selfish.

If someone sows an evil seed today, then the tree would have to be brunt by the later generations. The man who "soweth" has already gone without any "reap".

That brings up an interesting article I remember reading a couple of years ago about the Just-World hypothesis (or fallacy as some people call it).

http://youarenotsosmart.com/2010/06/07/the-just-world-fallacy/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Just-world_hypothesis

If someone sows an evil seed today, then the tree would have to be brunt by the later generations. The man who "soweth" has already gone without any "reap".

Its not if you believe the concept of reincarnation.

Ok ........... dont want any conflicts, not against the .... SANATAN DHARM, but just curious ..............

If I love my GOD, should I cut a CHICKEN's head or a GOAT's head to prove my love for him ???

I see it like 'ONE ACT OF KINDNESS" you sow the seed but do not wait to reap, there are other reaps which was sowed earlier, if no one sows then none shall reap.

I see it like 'ONE ACT OF KINDNESS" you sow the seed but do not wait to reap, there are other reaps which was sowed earlier, if no one sows then none shall reap.
Then you don't need to believe in any self-centred principle like 'Karma'. It is just an act of Kindness, a common trait seen in humans and many animals too.[DOUBLEPOST=1374670327][/DOUBLEPOST]
Its not if you believe the concept of reincarnation.
Wow, that blew my mind away.

I76nO1U.jpg
[DOUBLEPOST=1374670770][/DOUBLEPOST]
That brings up an interesting article I remember reading a couple of years ago about the Just-World hypothesis (or fallacy as some people call it).
Yes, that is exactly what I wanted to say. Karma is a very self-centred concept, just like other religions show the gift of heaven or the punishment of hell.

If you follow the concept, then if someone gets raped/murdered/attacked/robbed, they deserved it, or must have done something terrible in their previous life, which again means they deserved it.

Though this is not something that is always on my mind, but I have thought about this from time to time. Glad that you have started this discussion @whatsinaname.

I have come to understand that I am an agnostic theist. Why? There are things that have happened in my life which I believe are more than a coincidence.

I believe in a higher power. Something has been guiding me all this way - good or bad as the situation may be. For me, it's not a specific deity (though I adhere to the things which my family insists on). I am in no way a loner, but I firmly believe in "You come into the world alone and you go out of the world alone". It's the things that you do for others around you that define you. Those cannot be defined by anything or anyone except yourself.

But at the same time, having faith in a God, whatever form that may be, acts as a strong moral compass for me. But again, the rules that I follow are not what I have read in a bible or in a "granth"; these are rules that I have set for myself. I am accountable for myself. I don't believe that keeping a fast will please God. Rather, doing a small good thing that will help someone or bring a little smile to someone's face is much more vital and important to "my God".

However, I am wary of people who let religion govern their life. I might be the exact opposite of your friend/acquaintance. You don't have to go to temples in all corners of the world; a little bit of introspection (or maybe a lot) will help you find the God within you. And that's exactly what every religion wants.

Last edited by a moderator:
And it needs money :wtf:

Most of the religions don't demand money - it is the interpretation that's messed up. People read what they want to read and since the language is vague and abstract in the first place, you can interpret it in any way you want.

And the clip actually reaffirms to what I said earlier - I am wary of people who let religion guide their life.

Back