Graphic Cards Are you guys using your GPUs to mine?

Soufosale

Disciple
Nov 10, 2020
Too bad I don't have desktop anymore. What would be good profitable new desktop config strictly for mining only?
If you already have a GPU then it's profitable. With the current GPU prices and EIP-1559 expected to roll out mid-july which might bring down mining profits by 20%, I don't think setting up a mining rig now would be a wise idea.

raksrules

Elite
Aug 30, 2007
Mumbai
Just to try, I installed nicehash in my laptop and selected several plugins. I have a AMD laptop with some Radeon Vega something GPU. I got a dismal earning capacity of 0.05 USD per day. Ran for an hour to see if the Stats change and it didn't so just shut it off.

xkcd0137

Adept
Dec 20, 2018
Just to try, I installed nicehash in my laptop and selected several plugins. I have a AMD laptop with some Radeon Vega something GPU. I got a dismal earning capacity of 0.05 USD per day. Ran for an hour to see if the Stats change and it didn't so just shut it off.
Don't run it on a laptop. Its very power hungry and produces a lot of heat which a laptop cannot dissipate. Temps will easily cross 100C.

I tried it too on my Ryzen 4500u laptop. :p

kartikoli

Skilled
Feb 6, 2010
Lucknow
My laptop with gtx 1050 can generate 100 per day based on current profits. But mining will it wear it very fast, so didn't bother.
don't take that risk, even I have 1060 3gb for my desktop so can mine some coin other than ETH BUT NO... I don't want to risk it :D

kekerode

Adept
Jul 29, 2009
If you already have a GPU then it's profitable. With the current GPU prices and EIP-1559 expected to roll out mid-july which might bring down mining profits by 20%, I don't think setting up a mining rig now would be a wise idea.
I have a laptop with NVIDIA Quadro T2000 4GB available at my disposal which I am thinking to try. Is there any way to do GPU-based mining inside VM with GPU pass-through or docker?

xkcd0137

Adept
Dec 20, 2018
I have a laptop with NVIDIA Quadro T2000 4GB available at my disposal which I am thinking to try. Is there any way to do GPU-based mining inside VM with GPU pass-through or docker?
Try running Nicehash. If it detects the GPU, then its all good. You can also search on reddit, there is always a post on every topic.

Trazer854

Disciple
Feb 25, 2021
Ethereum and Bitcoin fell around 10% yesterday, but Nicehash's profit calculator still shows the same amount. Anyone know how this works?

xkcd0137

Adept
Dec 20, 2018
Ethereum and Bitcoin fell around 10% yesterday, but Nicehash's profit calculator still shows the same amount. Anyone know how this works?
Afaik it shows average of a week or month. You'll see daily profits in the graph which is visible lower on that page.

Soufosale

Disciple
Nov 10, 2020
Still a lot of transactions happening on ETH ig. The bitcoin amount I receive is the same but value in Euros is definitely fluctuating.

Soufosale

Disciple
Nov 10, 2020
I've switched to T-Rex miner and linked my WazirX ETH wallet directly. Is that okay ?

Also I'm using ethermine pool, and I'm seeing that the minimum payout is 0.1 ETH which would take me prolly 2 months to reach :hungover: . Are there any other pools which have better/more efficient payout rates ?

Stronk

Adept
Jan 22, 2021
All over :p
I've switched to T-Rex miner and linked my WazirX ETH wallet directly. Is that okay ?
Nope, don't use your exchange wallet address to mine as the address allotted to you may change, and as a result you might lose all your eth. Better to mine on an external wallet (personally I use Exodus) and then transfer it to exchange for withdrawal)

Reactions: Soufosale

Soufosale

Disciple
Nov 10, 2020
Nope, don't use your exchange wallet address to mine as the address allotted to you may change, and as a result you might lose all your eth. Better to mine on an external wallet (personally I use Exodus) and then transfer it to exchange for withdrawal)
Damn :(. I've started mining on the Wazir Wallet address. Is it okay to change the address midway ? Will I lose the currently mined amount ?

Stronk

Adept
Jan 22, 2021
All over :p
Damn :(. I've started mining on the Wazir Wallet address. Is it okay to change the address midway ? Will I lose the currently mined amount ?
Yep, you will but if it's a small amount then just take it as cost of learning and move on - better to lose something like 0.0008 eth than mine for 2 months, reach the 0.1eth and then find out that your wazirx wallet address is not the same. I have 0.0005 eth or something on quite a few wallets because I wasn't decided on which one to sue when starting out lol.

Soufosale

Disciple
Nov 10, 2020
RIP my 0.002 ETH

Woody Harrelson Crying GIF