OC & Modding Are these temps ok? (Core i7)

alcy

Disciple
Hello folks, before I started doing some light OC, I wanted to make sure that my system was stable at stock settings, without any after market cooling devices.

I ran Mprime (the linux port of Prime95) for an hour without any issues. The temperatures were as follows:

Idle: CPU: 25-26
IOH: 64

Load: CPU: 84
IOH: 77

I know that IOH temps are high at idle (known issue among MSI Pro-E boards), but am getting an Antec Spot Cool fan to fix that.

However what I want to know is that at full load, isn't the CPU temp too high ? My system didn't crash, but since I am new to this subject, please let me know what you think. According to Intel, I read somewhere that the max temp is about 67.9 Celsius.

Also, is there a possibility of slightly OCing the system, say up to 3 GHz, with the stock cooler, or should I start saving for a good CPU cooler ?

you should seriously start saving for a GOOD cooler bro..

AFAIK i7's run hotter than other chips!! so as u have 84 ur load temp at stock.. , it will easily cross 90 at load at 3ghz at which u r planning to overclock.. i would suggest you not to take that risk and first buy a good VFM cooler if not an expensive one!!

if you are looking out for one, then CM Hyper 212+ is the thing to go with....

And ur temps are fine.. always consider 90 as the max limit for i7 in extreme conditions.. dont let it go above that!!

You should buy a good cooler if you want to overclock your cpu. 920 are hot chips. Until then reduce volts to something like 1.1V(default would be around 1.25) and test for stability with prime95. Temps should now be under control.If not increase volts a bit and repeat the process.

alcy said:
I know that IOH temps are high at idle (known issue among MSI Pro-E boards), but am getting an Antec Spot Cool fan to fix that.

asingh said:
@OP:

Which board..?

@asingh see above..

@OP i'll suggest you to get an aftermarket cooler in that way the temps. will be low resulting in more CPU life duration..:eek:hyeah:

@OP: What is your PSU? If you are using a substandard PSU, forget overclocking and still get a good one. You don't want your investment go in drain.

^^

As usual, all of us are in the gray regarding the OPs system. Why cannot people update the signature.

@asingh & others, sorry for the lack of information. I appreciate you guys still trying to help. I have updated my signature for the specs.

@vriship: Thanks for the suggestion !

@haraakiri: Will try doing that, thanks.

@dvijaydev46: I have updated my sig regarding the specs.

@comp@ddict: Will search for that.

^^Sure, thanks for the tip. I can do without OCing, the stock config is fast enough for my needs as of now. However, what do you suggest about about the high cpu load temps ? Although my work won't require this much load anytime soon(maybe never), still I want to be on the safe side, and want to be done away with all the cooling mods.

I should also let you know that I raised the same issue on MSI user-to-user forums, and there it was suggested that CPU load temps shouldn't be more than 60-65 degrees. It would be nice to know what you folks think.

Also, regarding the cooler, is Zalman 9900 available here ? If not, what other similar alternatives do I have. If VFM coolers are good enough for my needs (no gaming, but heavy compiling/programming), then I can shell out that much money without delay.

Also, regarding thermal pastes, I am thinking of getting AS Ceramique, is it available in Delhi ? Should I also get thermal cleaner, or would plastic pins & similar hacks should suffice to remove the stock thermal compound ?

I

^^

Do one thing. I want to see the loads. Download REALTEMP, and Prime95. Run a full test, and post the screen shot here. Else download LinX, run the tests, and tell temperatures. RealTemp would be better. It is too early to commit that you need an OEM HSF. A RE-TIM + HSF remount could do the job.

A good TIM is CM Nano Fusion (easily available at NP), and to remove the caked TIM use isopropyl alcohol (available at all chemists). Do these basic things, then we can conclude the requirement for a OEM HSF.

^^Thanks for the suggestion, appreciate it.

Now, the thing is, as I mentioned before, that I am running Mprime, which is a port of Prime95 on linux, by the developers of Prime95. I can't get back to you with the screen shots since there are not many alternatives for temperature checks in linux. I have got the basic sensor apps that are popular in linux. And hence I posted the temps in text.

If however you feel that those temps are not at all sufficient, I can try & arrange a Windows 7, but if you think that I can get by without it, that would be most appropriate.

I can, however, post the Mprime log:

Code:
[Thu Feb 11 03:18:26 2010]
Self-test 1024K passed!
Self-test 1024K passed!
Self-test 1024K passed!
Self-test 1024K passed!
Self-test 1024K passed!
Self-test 1024K passed!
Self-test 1024K passed!
Self-test 1024K passed!
[Thu Feb 11 03:35:40 2010]
Self-test 8K passed!
Self-test 8K passed!
Self-test 8K passed!
Self-test 8K passed!
Self-test 8K passed!
Self-test 8K passed!
Self-test 8K passed!
Self-test 8K passed!
[Thu Feb 11 03:52:24 2010]
Self-test 10K passed!
Self-test 10K passed!
Self-test 10K passed!
Self-test 10K passed!
Self-test 10K passed!
Self-test 10K passed!
Self-test 10K passed!
Self-test 10K passed!

The test started at 3:03, I terminated it at 3:53. So, that makes it 50 minutes.

asingh said:
Your PSU is slightly on the limit. OC would be risky.
You have to be joking, his PSU has more than sufficient headroom.

As for the cooler, Hyper 212+ is a nice choice given your requirements, the bundled thermal paste will suffice.

^

No, I am not joking. 450W is not good for OC'ing. Better safe than sorry. Rest is up to you, to convince him that it is fine.

@OP:

Errrr...I cannot understand the temperature, log. Sorry for being a noob.

alcy said:
^^Thanks for the suggestion, appreciate it.

Now, the thing is, as I mentioned before, that I am running Mprime, which is a port of Prime95 on linux, by the developers of Prime95. I can't get back to you with the screen shots since there are not many alternatives for temperature checks in linux. I have got the basic sensor apps that are popular in linux. And hence I posted the temps in text.

If however you feel that those temps are not at all sufficient, I can try & arrange a Windows 7, but if you think that I can get by without it, that would be most appropriate.

I can, however, post the Mprime log:

Code:
[Thu Feb 11 03:18:26 2010]
Self-test 1024K passed!
Self-test 1024K passed!
Self-test 1024K passed!
Self-test 1024K passed!
Self-test 1024K passed!
Self-test 1024K passed!
Self-test 1024K passed!
Self-test 1024K passed!
[Thu Feb 11 03:35:40 2010]
Self-test 8K passed!
Self-test 8K passed!
Self-test 8K passed!
Self-test 8K passed!
Self-test 8K passed!
Self-test 8K passed!
Self-test 8K passed!
Self-test 8K passed!
[Thu Feb 11 03:52:24 2010]
Self-test 10K passed!
Self-test 10K passed!
Self-test 10K passed!
Self-test 10K passed!
Self-test 10K passed!
Self-test 10K passed!
Self-test 10K passed!
Self-test 10K passed!

The test started at 3:03, I terminated it at 3:53. So, that makes it 50 minutes.

I am not sure, where you so sarcasm in my post. Was just asking, where are there temperatures in the above..?

I already mentioned the temps in the title post. I also acknowledged the fact that on my current OS, its not feasible to provide more information. Anyway, thanks for the other suggestions you made. If I can, I'll try getting the detailed logs.

I am sorry to misunderstand. I say again, I did not mean any sarcasm or such innuendo. I would suggest a re-TIM and re mount of the stock HSF. And then report back temperatures here. Shalom.

Back