Apple Wonderlust 2023 (12th Sept'23)

What are you guys most excited for?

• Total voters
Most android flagship buyers OTOH tend to switch phones over much shorter durations so the overall TCO goes up I guess
depends on the peeps tbh, I have always bought phones around 30-40K, and they all have lasted me 3-4 years easily and it never bothers me even if I buy a new one mid cycle. So VFM is very subjective.

depends on the peeps tbh, I have always bought phones around 30-40K, and they all have lasted me 3-4 years easily and it never bothers me even if I buy a new one mid cycle. So VFM is very subjective.
There is one difference though - A Mid range android does not provide the same UX as a tier 1 android or an iphone SKU from within the past couple of years.

Functionally though, they are all fine.

My rationale is simpler though - I suppose most , if not all of us here would be guilty of spending a fair bit on random things, many of which get rather limited usage.
A phone otoh is probably my most used device after my laptop (and I am from an older generation…I think this will likely be even more skewed for a lot of younger people here)
So that’s one expense that actually is justified to a fair extent

So VFM is very subjective.
True. I bought K20 Pro 4 years ago for about 25k. If had gone for iPhone 11, would've been about 70k (for 128GB). Although iPhone was LCD to the former's AMOLED, it did have better SoC, cameras, build & of course OS updates. But won't agree it was value/worth for the extra 45k then, at least for me.

So that’s one expense that actually is justified to a fair extent
I'm not trying to debate any justification, all of us have stuff that we like to buy which does not make sense to others, I am just here for other's perspectives.
There is one difference though - A Mid range android does not provide the same UX as a tier 1 android or an iphone SKU from within the past couple of years.
You'll be surprised by how good the midrangers have gotten, I have got an Edge 30 Fusion for 40k, the phone is really good UX wise with stellar battery life, the only major con is that shitty curved display but that's a debate for another day, but even mid range phones will easily suffice for most people these days.
True. I bought K20 Pro 4 years ago for about 25k. If had gone for iPhone 11, would've been about 70k (for 128GB). Although iPhone was LCD to the former's AMOLED, it did have better SoC, cameras, build & of course OS updates. But won't agree it was value/worth for the extra 45k then, at least for me.
Agreed, I have never been able to justify spending more than 40-50K on a phone because it just doesn't seem worth it to me, and for my preferences, the cons are ever increasing as the price increases.

At the scope of business Apple is doing, these personal perspectives, preferences are largely irrelevant. A company like Apple is not in a position to think about what people want; let alone at different price points. It's has been 'what would sell' for a long while now. There's a fancy term for this - the long wow.

Economic factors like the purchasing power/ production possibilities I mentioned earlier are a better measure for companies like Apple to go by. Not to invalidate conversations about said perspectives/preferences; it is totally a valid conversation to have. Just saying that it's probably beyond the scope of this thread.

In all my years of using iPhone's, I've gotta say, rarely has it ever made as little sense to upgrade to the latest one as it is with this launch. Unless you're still stuck on an iPhone 12 or earlier.. (I'm on a 13Pro).. there's really no compelling reason to upgrade to the 15.

Peak iPhone really is a thing I guess.

:) I am trying hard to get convinced that I should not cancel my pre-order for 256GB Black iPhone 15PM, but the more I think, the more challenging it gets.
Avoid 15 PM if you already have 14PM. Was listening to Vergecast and they said that the telephoto camera quality drops so much when you use 5x zoom that it makes more sense to use normal camera. Better put all your savings into FD for next 2-3 years so that you can buy foldable when it launches. :D

The only valid reason that I see for 14pm user to go for 15pm is to generate Spatial video content for Apple Vision Pro to make money.
It appears to me that Apple is artificially jacking the delivery dates to give the feeling that Pro/Pro Max stock is sold out. Many of those who got delivery estimates as Oct(in US/Europe), are now seeing their phones being shipped.
There was uncertainty as 3mm chips manufacturing is having challenges (TSMC). The initial rush to pre-order made delivery dates to slip but then as more phone are getting manufactured and pre-orders slowed down, the shipping dates are getting better now. I am still concerned if I will be able to get the the Titanium natural colour Pro on launch day or after a week. In my hometown till 25th or so and would really want to get one so that I can give my 13 to mom, setup and head back to Bengaluru to get gaalis from wife.
The pricing is becoming sadder by the year. I was looking forward to upgrade from my 11 pro max to 15 pro max, but 1,59,900Rs is straight up unaffordable, will move to android instead.
For Apple, India is not key market for 'just released iPhones'. For them, the key markets are Europe and USA and they maintain pricing in better way there. Their target user base in USA and Europe get these iPhones for much much better pricing, under contract or without contract. Apple is absolutely making everything necessary to keep their domination in those markets. Countries like India are key markets for selling previous generation base models which is why the 13s and 14s are now offered at really good pricing.

Last edited:
Sometimes It makes sense to upgrade if the device in question becomes a source of livelihood. I used to co-manage a friend's relative's Instagram page for handmade goods and their monthly revenue easily covered the cost of a flagship apple device with apple care — they used their phone for photos/videos of their products (I handled billing/shipping). These non-traditional ways of earning are sometimes short-lived and often throw out value-for-money calculations because they are so lucrative. Another example are the kids on reddit who do homework for western students that end up paying for their gaming setups.

I honestly believe Apple's pricing is targeted towards this kind of lifestyle/income, easy come easy go.

I understand last years Pro model launch hype to AoD, dynamic island etc. But there’s barely any improvement this year to upgrade. Pretty sure supply will soon outstrip demand in a month or two at max. No compelling reason for a 13PM or 14PM user to upgrade tbh.
We all can justify the upgrade in our heads though. ;)

Avoid 15 PM if you already have 14PM. Was listening to Vergecast and they said that the telephoto camera quality drops so much when you use 5x zoom that it makes more sense to use normal camera. Better put all your savings into FD for next 2-3 years so that you can buy foldable when it launches. :D
I am almost convinced that i should carry on with my iPhone 14PM and upgrade to 16 Ultra next year. Cancelled the orders for screen guard and case.

Just waiting for reviews.

Either I will handover to someone desirous who could not get to pre-order or cancel the order on 21st evening.

i think its better to go for cashify or direct store purchase(croma( where they will buy back for better price then apple trade-in. Based on my experience with cashify and flawless phone, they will always give quoted prices. I just checked for 13 Pro 512GB is quoted 58.6K in cashify and in apple its 51K :(
can anyone help me answer this
If i get apple watch ultra/ultra 2 from USA will it work with Indian esim?
Without an iPhone?.

Thanks.
I think apple watch cannot be used without iphone, at least esim cannot be activated with out iphone.

i think its better to go for cashify or direct store purchase(croma( where they will buy back for better price then apple trade-in. Based on my experience with cashify and flawless phone, they will always give quoted prices. I just checked for 13 Pro 512GB is quoted 58.6K in cashify and in apple its 51K :(

I think apple watch cannot be used with iphone, at least esim cannot be activated with out iphone.
Thank you for your reply.

Back