Apple M3 chip

Time for you to upgrade from windows 98.. its been decades Microsoft obsoletes that OS.

Nevertheless, not sure why these kind of posts exist in a thread where the discussion is about Apple's decision to list 8GB variant in pro model.
Coz comparisons are bound to arise in a discussion? :tearsofjoy:

Anyway let’s leave aside win 98. Please do tell me a mechanism by which I can achieve something as simple as putting a pause on updates without messing around with the registry on windows 11 home .

or for that matter, ensure modern standby does not cause my laptop bag to randomly become a fire risk because it decided to wake up on its own (incidentally the last part isn’t fixable even via registry - some laptop BIOSes do allow disabling modern standby if you are lucky though)

Anyway, the point was not to diss windows - its a fair OS in its own right.
Nor was it to justfy 8GB ram on a Pro laptop - it is not justifiable anyway

The thread, as is often the case with Apple threads had already derailed to dissing the underlying OS - which you somehow did not notice as an odd digression till a counter comparison with windows came up :tearsofjoy:

Anyway let’s leave aside win 98. Please do tell me a mechanism by which I can achieve something as simple as putting a pause on updates without messing around with the registry on windows 11 home .
You can simply do pause for another 4 weeks or more? Not sure what you are getting at here. Windows is actually a lot less irritating with 11 now, I haven't updated my 11 since last year and just pause the updates whenever it does say to update. And if its that much of an issue just use a pre-compiled debloated one which has all the microsoft bullshit stripped out, it actually works far better than normal windows,

very high funda discussion going on here. as a recent m2 max owner with no fish in the game for at least 5 years, who is even considering to buy the base m3 mbp? it's just a placeholder for the touchbar model they nuked out of existence. the real MBP starts with the m3 pro.

very high funda discussion going on here. as a recent m2 max owner with no fish in the game for at least 5 years, who is even considering to buy the base m3 mbp? it's just a placeholder for the touchbar model they nuked out of existence. the real MBP starts with the m3 pro.
Imagine that Apple gives even the M3 MBP 18GB memory.

Apple Macbook Air 15" with M2, 8GB memory and 512GB SSD : 1.55L
Apple Macbook Pro 14" with M3, 18GB memory and 512GB SSD : 1.70L
Apple Macbook Pro 14" with M3 Pro, 18GB memory and 512GB SSD : 1.99L

Everyone who is going for an 8GB 15" MBA would now have a serious itch to go for that M3 MBP as it has a much better display, more than double the amount of memory, superior chip, better battery life etc for just 15k more. Many would go for it.

Can we put an end to this discussion by stating that those who think its not value for money for the 8GB model can stop buying them and those who can afford to pay more can buy 16GB?.

Only if there is a dip in demand, apple will reduce price.

Saw austin evans video, he seems to not care and his editing also doesnt get impacted by the 8GB, still its a very bad move to charge this much premium and provide less than previous models.

To all,

If anybody that you know is going to get the 80k rupee M1 MBA, ask them not to buy. The amount of scolding that Apple is getting, they will switch to 16GB memory for base models next year and they will stop optimizing the OS for 8GB memory. That is when we will start seeing these 8GB memory models really really struggle. Another downside to this is that they will have really low resale value.

To all,

If anybody that you know is going to get the 80k rupee M1 MBA, ask them not to buy. The amount of scolding that Apple is getting, they will switch to 16GB memory for base models next year and they will stop optimizing the OS for 8GB memory. That is when we will start seeing these 8GB memory models really really struggle. Another downside to this is that they will have really low resale value.

Source ? Apple has instead put 8GB on “Pro” model. I don’t think 8GB is going anywhere. They get to market low price point, and half the people buy to just show off the Apple logo - so entry barrier gets relatively low.
People who create noise are a minority. No way 8 GB is going anywhere.

To all,

sequential Speculation much?

The 8gb MBP aside, the 8GB Air/mini will be around for a while so that covers your first speculation.

As for lack of optimisation on older models, any reason why you would assume that?
Older iOS devices with much lower RAM than current gen continue to be reasonably fast and zippy today. So why would you assume the reverse for Mac OS?

Looks like there is a big jump from M1 Max to M3 Max. Just wish there would be some good AAA games on Mac to take it's full potential advantage.

just gonna drop this for yall, and for those who think the ssd won't fail or it doesn't matter, do check out the first comment and Louis's response.

Last edited:
ssd won't fail or it doesn't matter
It will fail but it doesn't matter, long before that something else will happen, either you will switch your laptop, or some other fault will happen either naturally or by damage by the user. Battery will go long before the SSD will, I will worry about the availability of the battery more than the SSD failing on me, specially in case when I have replaced it more than 2 or 3 times.

Although, I think a bug in SSD firmware can cause it to fail prematurely. So it will probably be silly reasons like this that SSD will fail, which I think is just pure luck.

Last edited:
just gonna drop this for yall, and for those who think the ssd won't fail or it doesn't matter, do check out the first comment and Louis's response.

Obviously it will fail someday. I have yet to see any electronics that lived for perpetuity.

I still don’t the part about making compromises upfront with the assumption that maybe, just maybe someday I’ll need more ram or storage or whatever.

These purchases are generic purchases, not something one is committing to for marriage or such to ponder about the long term so much :sweatsmile:

Obviously it will fail someday. I have yet to see any electronics that lived for perpetuity.

I still don’t the part about making compromises upfront with the assumption that maybe, just maybe someday I’ll need more ram or storage or whatever.
There's something called the silicon lottery, for 90% or even more the SSD will outlast your device, but what about those 10% of the cases? your whole laptop will be just e-waste and thats not even taking into consideration the money that peeps sink into a mac. Even with apple care what if this shit happens after 3 years? what are you gonna do? and if you think I'm just fear-mongering or the chances of this happening is pretty low then just look at the video. I think Louis should be enough of an authority to convince you otherwise.

And let's forget all this crap, even at a basic level, the only reason the SSD is soldered is because Apple decided to say, "**** you, you gonna pay up b**ch, and no we aint gonna let you upgrade later. Its all or nothing". I get it, the macs are some of the most efficient laptops on the market, they have a premium package in a light weight chassis that can outlast your other devices and I get why the want a premium for it. But is this really justifiable for all the bullshit Apple makes you go through? even for basic stuff that's available even in a 30k laptop?

Thats like a company screwing you over and you bending over backwards to make it more convenient for them. I really love Rossman's take on this, Companies dont take away things from us, We let them take it away from us.

And even if all of this is bullshit for you, just think about the ecological impact stuff like this has, when a user has to either discard his laptop just because he lost the silicon lottery.

These purchases are generic purchases, not something one is committing to for marriage or such to ponder about the long term so much :sweatsmile:
I dont know about you but whenever I buy a laptop, I account for it lasting me atleast 5-6 years at a minimum. We have a HP Probook from 2010 still chugging around which we gave to our servant. A 2014 Dell which is working as the primary laptop for our office, my sister's 2012 Dell which serves as a backup office laptop, my 2017 Dell 7577 which is my ghetto NAS/HTPC, and my slim 7i and 5i but I digress, the point is shit like this should never be paywalled just because a company decided to **** its customers over and I didnt even get into the pricing of Macs.

P.S. I do agree with your point. it's just a general thing and not a long term commitment but it's precisely OEMs like apple which are forcing you to do so. e.g. I got my Legion 5i with 16 gigs of ram and 512gb ssd to save on costs (kinda regret it now since Lenovo was giving 980 pros for ssds and the 1tb upgrade was cheaper than buying a 1tb 980 pro) but after a while storage and ram both were inadequate for my usecase, so I just traded in my ram sticks for a 32 gig kit and plopped a 2tb ssd in my second ssd slot. I didn't even need to spend a minute on this decision and now imagine doing something like this on a mac.

Last edited:
There's something called the silicon lottery, for 90% or even more the SSD will outlast your device, but what about those 10% of the cases? your whole laptop will be just e-waste and thats not even taking into consideration the money that peeps sink into a mac. Even with apple care what if this shit happens after 3 years? what are you gonna do? and if you think I'm just fear-mongering or the chances of this happening is pretty low then just look at the video. I think Louis should be enough of an authority to convince you otherwise.

And let's forget all this crap, even at a basic level, the only reason the SSD is soldered is because Apple decided to say, "**** you, you gonna pay up b**ch, and no we aint gonna let you upgrade later. Its all or nothing". I get it, the macs are some of the most efficient laptops on the market, they have a premium package in a light weight chassis that can outlast your other devices and I get why the want a premium for it. But is this really justifiable for all the bullshit Apple makes you go through? even for basic stuff that's available even in a 30k laptop?

Thats like a company screwing you over and you bending over backwards to make it more convenient for them. I really love Rossman's take on this, Companies dont take away things from us, We let them take it away from us.

And even if all of this is bullshit for you, just think about the ecological impact stuff like this has, when a user has to either discard his laptop just because he lost the silicon lottery.

I dont know about you but whenever I buy a laptop, I account for it lasting me atleast 5-6 years at a minimum. We have a HP Probook from 2010 still chugging around which we gave to our servant. A 2014 Dell which is working as the primary laptop for our office, my sister's 2012 Dell which serves as a backup office laptop, my 2017 Dell 7577 which is my ghetto NAS/HTPC, and my slim 7i and 5i but I digress, the point is shit like this should never be paywalled just because a company decided to **** its customers over and I didnt even get into the pricing of Macs.

P.S. I do agree with your point. it's just a general thing and not a long term commitment but it's precisely OEMs like apple which are forcing you to do so. e.g. I got my Legion 5i with 16 gigs of ram and 512gb ssd to save on costs (kinda regret it now since Lenovo was giving 980 pros for ssds and the 1tb upgrade was cheaper than buying a 1tb 980 pro) but after a while storage and ram both were inadequate for my usecase, so I just traded in my ram sticks for a 32 gig kit and plopped a 2tb ssd in my second ssd slot. I didn't even need to spend a minute on this decision and now imagine doing something like this on a mac.

Everything you say makes sense, and I’m a huge Rossman fan (more so of his NYT bike videos), BUT none of this will change the mindset of a trillion dollar company. Even if a 1000 people decide to stop buying MacBooks, it’s not going to a make a dent to the bottom line. This is pure capitalism, and Apple will squeeze every penny as long as the masses agree. And let’s be honest, 99% of those buying a Mac don’t care about what Rossman has to say.
Unless EU comes to rescue - like it’s doing for
iPhone for USB C and side loading - there is no other option if you want a Mac.

I think you are missing the point.
No one is saying that SSDs should come soldered on the board.
In an ideal world, all the parts would have been modular on laptop- at least to the extent they are on a desktop.

But they aren’t. Parts fail and devices sometimes become unusable before the end of their lifecycle.
Phones fail prematurely , so do TVs or anything else for that matter. It’s a calculated risk we all take when we buy anything.

The SSD is only one amongst several parts that can and eventually will result in failure.
In my (anecodotal) experience, the probability of such failure has been lower for Apple devices largely across the board .. Many people even here will still have decade + old ipads and ipods that still work.
I have also had several devices that have failed prematurely (both apple and other brands) because of random different components . And when it happens, we park it and move on. If it happens enough times with a particular make, we subjectively assess it as a pattern and start avoiding it going forward (e.g. I (subjectively) believe that Mi devices tend to have subpar QC)

So would I prefer that a laptop i buy come with a slot based SSD.. of course, yes
Would the absence of it be enough of a factor to ignore the other positives that the MBA / MBP has over comparable devices - the answer to that would depend on the user.

PS: As for Louis Rossman, I will just leave you with this screenshot .
YT pundits know their audience and LR knows his target crowd

1700462700642.png

Back